1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

panzerholz plinth?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by jamie123, Dec 19, 2016.

1. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

2. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

That looks really interesting :).

It sounds a bit like Paxolin which is a resin impregnated and bonded paper structure.

3. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

Which - Corian or panzerholz?

4. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

with a name like Grimm, I suggest it has to be Corian :D

5. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Its Hi Macs

6. guydarryl

guydarryl Active Member

Refreshing to read a post that makes scientific sense to me. thanks :)

7. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

If we want a structure to transmit vibrations, rather than dissipate them as heat, would we want a high damping factor, or a low damping factor, or, is damping factor just irrelevant in this context?

8. guydarryl

guydarryl Active Member

I would have thought that if you want transmission then keep it simple and no damping factor!

9. Helen Bach

what do you mean by 'transmit vibrations'? from where to where, and why?

No damping factor? Every solid material has a damping factor.

10. guydarryl

guydarryl Active Member

I guess that Jem was asking from the point of view that rather than trying to "damp" vibrations within a structure (such as a turntable plinth), would it be more sensible to try and transmit/conduct/carry the vibrations to an alternative location - "earth"?

My (tongue in cheek) response is in that case you would want no "damping factor" in the material.

Often in the case of trying to find a solution to a problem it is best to try and take the theoretical solution to an extreme.

11. Helen Bach

I think, then, I would ask what the 'mechanical earth' was.

Vibrations (in the structures we are discussing, at audio frequencies) can be thought of as tiny up and down movements of a panel (often called a plate in physics). These displacements cover virtually all of the panel, depending on the resonance frequencies of the modes. Internal damping of the panel material will convert the vibrations into heat by friction (although other damping will probably be present). The greater the damping, the shorter the time taken for the vibrations to diminish.

If the panel is connected to a mechanical earth, depending on the relative masses, either the earth will vibrate, or the vibrations will not be 'earthed', and the panel continues to vibrate. If the vibrations are transferred to the 'earth', then that must have damping properties, or it will continue to vibrate, and transfer these vibrations back to the panel. I can't see that this is a good thing. Either way, the panel will still vibrate a lot.

For a simple approach (all for that) just choose materials with very good intrinsic damping, and please, no-one mention damping sucks the life out of their music.

12. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

Helen - great reading in your posts here and on Suffolk Tony's thread. Much food for thought. Thanks, and more please!

13. Helen Bach

thank you, kind sir. :)

14. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

I was thinking about the mechanical job of connecting two things together so they move in unison, e.g. parts of car suspension, and maybe even a subchassis of a turntable (if we think that is desirable) - or at a smaller scale, from the stylus to the coils in a cartridge. Is there an advantage / disadvantage to high/low DF in these sort of structures.

15. Helen Bach

as I understand it, a car's suspension is built to be as stiff as possible, with with some riggle room in the form of bushes. The springs give the compliance, whereas the so-called 'shock absorbers' are the damping. There is no earth, unless it is floating! ;)

In the pickup cartridge, one must aim to conduct the vibrations of the stylus to the other end of the cantilever as accurately as possible, but damp it (significantly) with an elastomer. Damping values around 0.2 to 0.6 I have measured.

I think the essence of these designs (and many others, including loudspeakers) is that damping is used to obtain the response we desire. It seems almost essential in most situations.

16. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

But is damping desirable in the elements that we want to be stiff, e.g. the cantilever, or the suspension arm itself?

17. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

That is true for a modern car, but you clearly haven't driven in a Morgan... :)

18. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

Yes. At a resonant frequency, the effective stiffness falls to roughly the static stiffness divided by the Q of the resonance. Damping, which reduces the Q, maintains the stiffness across frequency.

19. Helen Bach

no, but I have driven a Triumph (passed my test (first time) in one!) which also has leaf springs, which is what I think you are alluding to, but both had/have shocks?

20. ChrisPa

ChrisPa pfm Member

There are 2 other very important systems in a car's suspension - tyres, and upholstery

The tyres are probably at least as significant as the suspension. They are springs and damping all in one. They have different lateral and vertical behaviour. There are different behaviours from the sidewall/air system and from the tread/road surface system