1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

panzerholz plinth?

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by jamie123, Dec 19, 2016.

1. jamie123

jamie123 pfm Member

i have a pioneer early 70's direct drive tt,i have just made a tonearm board from panzerholz,the stock one was plywood,ive tried solid ebony and really prefer over the 3 the panzerholz.

this has got me thinking what a plinth made in it would sound like.
    the stock plinth is plywood sitting on a metal frame,see the cut away photo below.

[​IMG]

what do you reckon fella's good idea or better leaving it alone?
    i should add i used to be a cabinet maker and antique restorer so making/veneering isnt a problem for me.

2. Chops54

Chops54 pfm Member

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. As long as you don't bugger up the old plinth I can't see a problem.

3. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Good enough for the German Enigma machine cases, what could possibly go wrong.

As a fellow cabinet maker though I hear it very quickly blunts your tooling when working with it.. love to play with some.

Have you thought of trying Corian ? not as organic though.

Also handy for target practice..

http://www.ltlewis.co.uk/security.htm

4. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Expensive stuff though, last time I looked it was about £600 a sheet!

5. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

Having heard a 401 in both corian and panzerholz plinths (as well as ply and slate) my preference was for corian.

Neither is cheap or easy to work, on balance for me I'd go heavier birch ply plinth, and detail with armboard material.

6. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

I'm intending to use Corian (predominantly) for the plinth of my new turntable - though it is quite a different design to that discussed here.

7. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Corian or its alternatives are good materials for this sort of thing IMO. They are easy to machine but are a little abrasive to the CNC bits. Corian is however expensive and difficult to get hold of. Hi-macs on the other hand is manufactured by LG, is much cheaper, available from places off the shelf like James Latham's and is available in a much wider range of colours.

8. jamie123

jamie123 pfm Member

i may give corian a try then :) with all these different armboards im using its easy to loose sight of whats a natural sound and whats not. arghhhhhh! :)

9. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Well if you need it CNCing I can quote you for that. I can get the Hi-macs as well if you go that route. Even if not it would be good to see progress.

10. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Well if you need it CNCing I can quote you for that. I can get the Hi-macs as well if you go that route. Even if not it would be good to see progress.

11. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yes, it is about that price. I've never used the Hi-macs - have you compared it to Corian directly (I have used Corian)? How do they compare?

12. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Only in speaker baffles. It's basically the same stuff, dust in plastic! Sounded the same in the baffles.

13. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Well I've just had a very constructive chat with James Latham's and I've got three small samples on the way. As you say, it is much more competitively priced (though still quite expensive). Thanks for the tip :).

14. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

No worries

15. orangeart

orangeart KJF Audio Ltd.

Grimm use it for the baffle on thier super expensive monitors.

16. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

There is someone on eBay selling Corian armboards and a Corian subchassis at what look like reasonable prices too!

17. misterdog

Dust in plastic ... love it.

I thought MDF was some kind of dust bonded together with the juice of crushed ants..

18. misterdog

Well as appointed by Her Majesty, and given the cost of repairs required to Buck Fizz Palace it aint going to be cheap is it.

19. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

In essence :).

20. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Oh yes, I've just had a look at them, they seem nicely made. I wonder how the weight of the chassis compares to the Keel.