advertisement

New car choice again.

If I could find a petrol Lexus with a manual gearbox I'd be so tempted, only seems to be CVT within budget & I'm not sure on that at all.

Since Lexus is just a dolled-up Toyota, have you considered something from Toyota?

If I could find a petrol Lexus with a manual gearbox I'd be so tempted, only seems to be CVT within budget & I'm not sure on that at all.

My first 2 Lexus' were normal 6 speed auto and I was concerned how I'd get on with the CVT in my RX. I prefer it to the 6 speed, very smooth.

However, I don't think it would suit if you drive your car as if you've stolen it ! Go try one, dealer's CS is exemplary. You can try mine if you're nearby.;)

Take a look at the Toyota range. There's the reason people rarely consider them.

It's quite shocking how few saloon cars there are to choose from now.

The reliablty of Hyundai and it's sister, Kia, is listed on 3 sites as VG...about on a par with Merc/Audi/Volvo (so 2nd brigade, after the Japanese), but the point is that they offer a huge no nonsense warrant (well, Kia do...7 years is the trouble free life of most new cars), so, since the dealers are also classed as VG, it doesn't matter too much.
As to the cars, they have IMO moved up a huge amount in the last 5 years and the new ones are fine family transport. Looks have improved too but still a matter of taste ofc.
I'd say if you were considering Peugot/Skoda/Ford etc, then the Koreans should be on the same list.

The reliablty of Hyundai and it's sister, Kia, is listed on 3 sites as VG...about on a par with Merc/Audi/Volvo (so 2nd brigade, after the Japanese), but the point is that they offer a huge no nonsense warrant (well, Kia do...7 years is the trouble free life of most new cars), so, since the dealers are also classed as VG, it doesn't matter too much.
As to the cars, they have IMO moved up a huge amount in the last 5 years and the new ones are fine family transport. Looks have improved too but still a matter of taste ofc.
I'd say if you were considering Peugot/Skoda/Ford etc, then the Koreans should be on the same list.

Yes, this is fair. Although I couldn't bring myself to buy a Hyundai (not because of reliability but because of the styling), Kia make some nice cars and that warranty is a massive bonus. The interior fit and finish of newer Skodas is a cut above all those you mention though IME.

With your budget, do what I did: get an older Lexus and an MX5. Your family will thank you. And you will thank yourself.

GS300H / GS450H would be affordable & I would consider it except for the CVT.

Good reliability & CS is a requirement now so we will be looking at Honda,Toyota, Lexus(?) & maybe Skoda after all.

Anyone here have a recent model Hyundai or Kia as that has been mooted, not sure myself though ?

They are now in the mix but have been described to me as " mobile washing machines " !!

Oh, plus Volvo now.
I'm starting to lose track of your non-negotiable criteria now, other than VW is a no-no.

When I was looking for my current car, I wanted AWD or RWD chassis with decent power (>300bhp/ft-lb), manual transmission and European pedigree. I bought a BMW 335i Touring, which ticked all those boxes.

You seem to have a strong preference for manual transmission, having mentioned it at least twice. That effectively rules out Lexus, Mercs and possibly Volvo. If you set down exactly what your criteria are, you'll find there is a much narrower range of cars that will suit you.

I'm looking at all different aspects for a petrol manual gearbox car with reliability & excellent customer services.

When the right car comes along then so be it, no need for you to be concerned over losing track at all.

People make recommendations, I then investigate further.

People make recommendations, I then investigate further.
A few of us suggested BMW, but I think your response was similar to the recommendation of Subaru. Silence.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find what you're looking for.

A few of us suggested BMW, but I think your response was similar to the recommendation of Subaru. Silence.

Good luck with your search. I hope you find what you're looking for.

So the fact that I don't disclose to one & all what I am looking at makes me somewhat ignorant of BMW because I don't mention it here :rolleyes:

BMW might be in the mix, you never know do you.

Subaru, well not for me at all hence the silence.

Lexus looks out of the window unfortunately due to a lack of manual gearbox models.

Volvo, well there are plenty of those to look at as a petrol manual model if you look hard enough.

Mercedes, silence on that one :D

I've only had one Volvo, in the legendary days when Volvo made cars that outlast geological eras. A pal has an S60 which he loves. Volvo seats are THE best IMO, but, like mazda, the ride isn't compliant. It's odd in a car maker so focussed on comfort, but other do it much better. As to the Merc silence, your daft (pardon the rudeness). I've had 5 of those, all older, but for a comfortable, fast, economical family car, the new C class is tough to beat, and petrol manuals are easy to find 1 year old around budget.
Anyhoo, I've more than had my say here, so good luck! Let us know when you decide.

Maybe I am being unfair on Mercedes so concede that maybe I should view them in a search, I just thought that they were not within my budget & therefore maybe out of reach.

My XC60 is very compliant and comfy - BUT that may be because it has the standard, not sport, suspension. And 17" wheels with very large tyres.

advertisement

Back