advertisement

New car choice again.

bought a ford kuga petrol 4x4 last oct.auto everything call it my comfortwagon.drive in sport mode not bad.

Been a fairly busy morning & a few cars have been binned.

Out the window :

Mazda 6 :

This was a disappointment in that although the car is built well & looks lovely in the flesh it failed on a few matters.

Engine was smooth but extremely noisy we thought, it wasn't a patch on the VW 2.0TSi, not surprised as it was a normally aspirated engine that had some torque but needed revving to make it go hence the noise.

Overall refinement was lacking, lot of road noise & the suspension was extremely crashy & harsh, this was on 17" wheels as well goodness knows what 19" wheels would do.

Drivers & passengers seat bottom cushions were too short in the length. The Passat cushion goes right to your knees & supports well, the Mazda cushion was about 75-80mm to short, after a short while it induced pain in my knee as a driver & passenger, couldn't live with that as that was only on a test drive.

Mondeo :

Plastic cabin, poor interior build, quality was disappinting. Now this wasn't a Titanium X but the lesser model at a dealer so maybe trim wise the higher model would be better, it just wasn't up to scratch though.

Steering was not good, it was somewhat detached & on roads that I know a Mondeo Mk3 walks all over this model was a barge, pity as it was a huge car with excellent refinement. I didn't like the steering so canned the car due to that in the end.

The hunt goes on.

Hard to beat German for refinement to be honest. I know you don't want VAG but I'd at least consider a Skoda, you really do get a lot of car for your money. Or check out BMW, fantastic cars in every department IMHO although you might find an SE model preferable over an M Sport model of anything you look at, SE models have softer suspension than M Sport models.

Hard to beat German for refinement to be honest. I know you don't want VAG but I'd at least consider a Skoda, you really do get a lot of car for your money. Or check out BMW, fantastic cars in every department IMHO although you might find an SE model preferable over an M Sport model of anything you look at, SE models have softer suspension than M Sport models.

Skoda are part of VAG (but I guess that's obvious).

A (s/h?) BM 3 series might well be worth a look?

Skoda are part of VAG (but I guess that's obvious).

A (s/h?) BM 3 series might well be worth a look?

Can't remember you budget but if it is an older car you want the E90 BMW 3 Series has to be worth a look.

I had 2 x E90 3 series as company cars and an E92 335i as a personal car. They are outstanding cars, close to perfection for the money. Great driver engagement, quality interiors and a huge range of performance from many engine options.

SE spec suggestion is a good one and do make sure you get tyres changed from the std run flats to a regular tyre. Loads out there so you can be picky. The 3.0 petrol is a gem of an engine, one of the greats but the 2.0 is decent as well and easier on fuel.

...you might find an SE model preferable over an M Sport model of anything you look at, SE models have softer suspension than M Sport models.
Some M-Sports have adaptive suspension, which allow selection between firm and comfort. The biggest advantage of M-Sport models the heavily bolstered front seats and thick-rimmed steering wheels. These may be of interest if the OP is interested in spirited driving.

Some M-Sports have adaptive suspension, which allow selection between firm and comfort. The biggest advantage of M-Sport models the heavily bolstered front seats and thick-rimmed steering wheels. These may be of interest if the OP is interested in spirited driving.

My best mate has just brought a brand new X1, he ordered an M sport but got them to spec it with SE suspension (which they happily did). I've taken a real shine to it myself. It's extremely comfortable but still quick and surprisingly agile. Great car. My brother has an F30 3 series, that's an M sport model and you definitely feel the bumps in the road more than in an SE but it's still comfortable... and it goes without saying that it drives brilliantly. If the OP doesn't find these to his liking then he's a really tough customer. They are in a different league to Mazda/ford/Vauxhall etc.

Another great car that I had was a Volvo S60 T5R, probably too old for the OP now but they are rapid, extremely comfortable and handle well in all weather.

Looks like my mention of the Mondeo feeling like a Transit wasn't too wide of the mark.

Yep, BMW or Merc. And maybe, in the fog at night, a Lexus?

Try a Prius or one of the other Toyota hybrids. You won't find them exciting, but they last forever, build quality is good and, of course, fuel consumption is exemplary.

... and then walk away. I was intending to get the Giulietta, but the driving position is difficult, and the car was strangely unexciting. The faster Renaults are much better buys. Apart from the handling, I also found the automatic gearbox excellent.

Try a Subaru Outback or Forester with a petrol engine. Great cars, deep engineering and nicely understated. Way better in my experience than the German stuff. 5 year warranty as well, although doubt you'd need to use it.

If our Volvos ever wear out (2007 S80 and 2004 XC70), and if newer Volvos are too expensive, then Subaru could be our next choice.

I think the XC70 is a good alternative to an SUV. It has done extremely well during our snowy winters, and even after 14 years of ownership, there's not a single rattle or squeak to be heard. Come to think of it, there's been no unplanned maintenance needed for either vehicle (knocks on wood).

Attention has turned to Volvo, used to have a V70 & that was supremely comfortable & a nice vehicle to drive except for the atrocious lock to lock turning circle.

I have no idea what current Volvo cars are like apart from being horrendously expensive to buy.

Lexus is also on the backburner now although finding a manual gearbox petrol car might be a challenge within budget.

Not sure why you're so desperate to move away from the VW group tbh Paul. Sure - you've had a nasty shock with the exhaust repair cost but how likely is that to happen on any other VW / Skoda / Audi / Seat? Who knows what nasties might be lurking with another brand? I think you're cutting off your nose to spite your face... :) and making what may be a rash decision.

It was a culmination of bad dealer experiences, poor customer services attutudes & niggly build quality occurences Jon, the ridiculous parts cost was the final straw.

I am tainting the VW group as a whole based on one experience granted, maybe I should give Skoda a chance but at the moment my opinion is that the VW Group are an untrustworthy company as a whole.

Lexus is also on the backburner now although finding a manual gearbox petrol car might be a challenge within budget.
There should be plenty of current model (F30) BMW 328i with 6MT available in the UK. The lighter four-cylinder engine sedan feels more nimble than the 6-cylinder in the handling department, and isn't much slower either.

I also once considered a Lexus IS350 and Audi S4, but neither were available with manual transmission in my region.

Attention has turned to Volvo, used to have a V70 & that was supremely comfortable & a nice vehicle to drive except for the atrocious lock to lock turning circle.

I have no idea what current Volvo cars are like apart from being horrendously expensive to buy.

It has to be said that the turning circle on my XC60 is not great. But you soon get used to it. Very comfortable as you would expect. Expensive yes if new. But here could be a surprise - log on to www.motorpoint.co.uk and search Volvo cars. Almost new XC60 s going for £20K and up. Worth every penny at that price. Choose your variant. Not driven a manual myself so hard to comment on that.

It has to be said that the turning circle on my XC60 is not great. But you soon get used to it. Very comfortable as you would expect. Expensive yes if new. But here could be a surprise - log on to www.motorpoint.co.uk and search Volvo cars. Almost new XC60 s going for £20K and up. Worth every penny at that price. Choose your variant. Not driven a manual myself so hard to comment on that.
The turning circle an my Iveco is amazing, for a van, its also got a cup holder, and I sit very high up, with excellent views of oncoming open mouthed car drivers. jealous? Just buy a white van. Loads of fun, loads of room in the back, £30 an hour, charge your mates, pick up crap from Ikea, garden centre, whatever, it'll pay for itself.

advertisement

Back