advertisement

New car choice again.

AV8

pfm Member
Due to problems I have had with our Passat I have decided to ditch VW forever so the hunt is on for the new family car.

I'm inclined towards the new Mondeo, wife likes the Kuga however, but one name has come into the ring as well now, the Mazda 6.

Anyone here drive either car & care to pass any thoughts about them before I go test driving ?

I have had a Mondeo for 14 years, still run it, been a fantastic car for me so am happy to go Ford again. Mate has a Mazda MX5 & although it is what it is it has been ultra reliable for 13 years.

Was tempted by the new Skoda Superb but that is VW Group so was binned today no matter how well thought of they are.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/

A neighbour is just selling their Mazda 6 after spending £3k on repairs. Sample size of 1 though. Could happen with any car.

If you're looking at that size and class of car new, would you consider a nearly new or lightly used Mercedes C or E class? I would. Lovely cars.

Taxi drivers' favourite now seems to be the Prius as good for big urban stop/start mileages. They know what they're on about. Hold value well too.

Most people do reckon the Mondeo is a decent bet, though better used as they don't hold their value well for some reason.

Be different test drive a alfa giulia.

I have a alfa giulietta and it's a very nice car to drive.

Pete

Renault. The current Clio and Megane are hard to beat, especially the RS models.Leave the Alfas for dead in the driving stakes.

This needs to be a family car & not an indulgence.

My brother had a brand new Clio, plagued with problems so canned after 12 months old, he is now in a C-Max & it is faultless.

I've never had a Japanese car so maybe this is the time.

Mazda 6 diesels get a lot of bad press and expensive repairs.

Although not new I had a similar search recently. I ended up with a Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol. So far it does exactly what its supposed to do ( its a 60 plate) and 40mpg.

Diesel would have been better but not sure how the tax groups will change, and wanted a fairly basic engine as I keep cars till they're scrappers.

If I'd had a bigger budget I'd have looked at Aurus Hybrid.

I like station-wagons or estates as you call them. They handle like a sedan and offer more space for haulage. In that vein, I'd suggest a Subaru Outback (bigger, more gentlemanly) or Levorg (smaller, more spirited). They are sharply priced (in New Zealand at least) and the AWD drivetrain a great bonus in inclement weather.

Not sure how they are priced in the UK.

If it's going to be a dealer maintained car, I'd be looking at a car from the best of your local dealers. A well made car can be a disaster if the dealership is a cowboy or 50 miles away.

Personally, I think buying any brand new car is a major waste of money. Far better IMO to buy something maybe a year or two old so still well within most warranties, and let somebody else take the massive depreciation hit.

So if it were me and I had the price of a brand new Mondeo I'd spend it instead on a higher quality nearly new car like a BMW 5 Series or Merc E-Class, either of which would be worth far more than the new Mondeo after four or five years.

I hire a modeo occasionally.

Bear in mind my opinion is based on the fact that they are usually brand new when I drive them.

I make a 1000 mile/14hr journey in them, and find them absolutely excellent, with the exception of the seats, which become uncomfortable after a few hours. This is a fairly extreme test, but may be relevant to you.

They are in general, a step down from the equivalent BMW, but if that is less important to you, then well worth considering.

How they hold up over the long term I can't say.

Exactly that Tony, local dealers within 50 miles only so that gives me about 10 Mazda dealers, 10+ Ford dealers, plus whatever might come to mind as alternatives.

It will be a nearly new or a pre reg car as I will have a healthy budget plus the P/X value of about £8000.

They are in general, a step down from the equivalent BMW, but if that is less important to you, then well worth considering.

I'm no badge snob but I thought a VW might have been somewhat of an improvement over the Mondeo, how wrong I was so now take prestige cars above Ford with a pinch of salt.

Ford cars are as good as any other mainstream maker I'd say & that includes Audi as I have a friend who has an A5, it is nothing special.

Thoughts on a Nissan? I hired a Qashqai 1.6 DIG-T for tens days on holiday and it was very nice indeed... well appointed and sipped fuel

Personally, I think buying any brand new car is a major waste of money. Far better IMO to buy something maybe a year or two old so still well within most warranties, and let somebody else take the massive depreciation hit.

So if it were me and I had the price of a brand new Mondeo I'd spend it instead on a higher quality nearly new car like a BMW 5 Series or Merc E-Class, either of which would be worth far more than the new Mondeo after four or five years.

If I can get a nearly new BMW 5 series for say £15,000-£17,000 then I'd be interested possibly. Mercedes I just do not like at all.

advertisement

Back