1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

New car choice again.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by AV8, Jun 17, 2017.

1. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Due to problems I have had with our Passat I have decided to ditch VW forever so the hunt is on for the new family car.

I'm inclined towards the new Mondeo, wife likes the Kuga however, but one name has come into the ring as well now, the Mazda 6.

Anyone here drive either car & care to pass any thoughts about them before I go test driving ?

I have had a Mondeo for 14 years, still run it, been a fantastic car for me so am happy to go Ford again. Mate has a Mazda MX5 & although it is what it is it has been ultra reliable for 13 years.

Was tempted by the new Skoda Superb but that is VW Group so was binned today no matter how well thought of they are.

2. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

the Mondeo and Mazda 6 are good cars, same chassis I think?

3. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/

A neighbour is just selling their Mazda 6 after spending £3k on repairs. Sample size of 1 though. Could happen with any car.

If you're looking at that size and class of car new, would you consider a nearly new or lightly used Mercedes C or E class? I would. Lovely cars.

Taxi drivers' favourite now seems to be the Prius as good for big urban stop/start mileages. They know what they're on about. Hold value well too.

Most people do reckon the Mondeo is a decent bet, though better used as they don't hold their value well for some reason.

4. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Be different test drive a alfa giulia.

I have a alfa giulietta and it's a very nice car to drive.

Pete

5. avole

avole He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.

Renault. The current Clio and Megane are hard to beat, especially the RS models.Leave the Alfas for dead in the driving stakes.

6. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

This needs to be a family car & not an indulgence.

My brother had a brand new Clio, plagued with problems so canned after 12 months old, he is now in a C-Max & it is faultless.

I've never had a Japanese car so maybe this is the time.

7. divedeepdog

divedeepdog pfm Member

Mazda 6 diesels get a lot of bad press and expensive repairs.

Although not new I had a similar search recently. I ended up with a Toyota Avensis 1.8 petrol. So far it does exactly what its supposed to do ( its a 60 plate) and 40mpg.

Diesel would have been better but not sure how the tax groups will change, and wanted a fairly basic engine as I keep cars till they're scrappers.

If I'd had a bigger budget I'd have looked at Aurus Hybrid.

8. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Diesel is not for me, never has been, petrol only.

9. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I like station-wagons or estates as you call them. They handle like a sedan and offer more space for haulage. In that vein, I'd suggest a Subaru Outback (bigger, more gentlemanly) or Levorg (smaller, more spirited). They are sharply priced (in New Zealand at least) and the AWD drivetrain a great bonus in inclement weather.

Not sure how they are priced in the UK.

10. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

If it's going to be a dealer maintained car, I'd be looking at a car from the best of your local dealers. A well made car can be a disaster if the dealership is a cowboy or 50 miles away.

11. maxflinn

maxflinn There was an earthquake!A terrible flood! Locusts!

Personally, I think buying any brand new car is a major waste of money. Far better IMO to buy something maybe a year or two old so still well within most warranties, and let somebody else take the massive depreciation hit.

So if it were me and I had the price of a brand new Mondeo I'd spend it instead on a higher quality nearly new car like a BMW 5 Series or Merc E-Class, either of which would be worth far more than the new Mondeo after four or five years.

12. bor

bor eurotrash

I hire a modeo occasionally.

Bear in mind my opinion is based on the fact that they are usually brand new when I drive them.

I make a 1000 mile/14hr journey in them, and find them absolutely excellent, with the exception of the seats, which become uncomfortable after a few hours. This is a fairly extreme test, but may be relevant to you.

They are in general, a step down from the equivalent BMW, but if that is less important to you, then well worth considering.

How they hold up over the long term I can't say.

13. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Exactly that Tony, local dealers within 50 miles only so that gives me about 10 Mazda dealers, 10+ Ford dealers, plus whatever might come to mind as alternatives.

It will be a nearly new or a pre reg car as I will have a healthy budget plus the P/X value of about £8000.

14. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I'm no badge snob but I thought a VW might have been somewhat of an improvement over the Mondeo, how wrong I was so now take prestige cars above Ford with a pinch of salt.

Ford cars are as good as any other mainstream maker I'd say & that includes Audi as I have a friend who has an A5, it is nothing special.

15. tqineil

tqineil pfm Member

Thoughts on a Nissan? I hired a Qashqai 1.6 DIG-T for tens days on holiday and it was very nice indeed... well appointed and sipped fuel

16. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

If I can get a nearly new BMW 5 series for say £15,000-£17,000 then I'd be interested possibly. Mercedes I just do not like at all.

17. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

That has been mentioned in the same tone as a Kuga by SWMBO.

18. maxflinn

19. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

I had never considered BMW before, still not sure to tell you the truth.

20. maxflinn

I don't know much about the Lexus range. Have you considered a newish Jaguar XF?

They're stunners IMO.