advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn DAC

MQA does sound great. On par with DXD or DSD 256 (perhaps a little better even) IMO.

I was so positively impressed by 2L's sample files that I've bought a couple of albums.

Highresaudio now have some 200 albums available in MQA (very little, I know).

I still have my fingers crossed that one day Tidal or some other streaming service will be available in MQA format.

The YouTube man Hans Beekhuyzen seems convinced that Tidal will be streaming MQA by early next year.

So, how good is that MC/MM stage - in comparison to standalone phono-stages? Will it improve usefully on (say) a Dynavector P75? Or a Tom Evans?

It was th (supposedly) very good MM/MC phono stage and analog volume control that made it the perfect package for me.

Those things, too :)

This is probably the widest selection of MQA that I've come across:

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/search/?format=mqa&sort=-releaseDate

I don't know how I managed to do it as it seems not to be possible now, but I did search the Tidal site for "MQA" (not the app, the site) and it returned two albums to buy once. Yet MQA still show them as a "content partner".

MQA does sound great. On par with DXD or DSD 256 (perhaps a little better even) IMO.

I was so positively impressed by 2L's sample files that I've bought a couple of albums.

Highresaudio now have some 200 albums available in MQA (very little, I know).

I still have my fingers crossed that one day Tidal or some other streaming service will be available in MQA format.

I've seen it too. I was surprised to see ECM releases in MQA, so I emailed them to ask if they are going to support this format going forward, but have not received an answer.

However IIUC this is something they as a record label do during the recording/mastering session, but it can also be done retroactively by them on older non-MQA recordings (if the ADC used back then is known so they know what to compensate for) or it can be done by a third party, so there might not be any direct ECM involvement in MQA at this point.

So, how's that phono stage, folk? ;)

I will have a better impression at the end of the weekend, although I can't compare it to anything high end. I've only owned inexpensive stages from Parasound, Cambridge and Schiit, as well as internal phono stages in various integrated amps. I think the real question will be how does it sound relative to the digital inputs

Immediate impressions of the phono section are similar to the DAC. Super quiet/black backgrounds and lots of detail without being strident or bright. Currently listening to Side B of Peter Zummo's "Zummo With An X".....RP6/Denon 103

Sounds great. Better than a Dynavector P75, would you say (if you're familiar with it)?

So, how good is that MC/MM stage - in comparison to standalone phono-stages? Will it improve usefully on (say) a Dynavector P75? Or a Tom Evans?

Can't speak to the Dynavector or Evans but a friend who has been heavy into vinyl felt that the Brooklyn phono stage was as good or better than his custom Hegeman phono pre and he has owned many.

There's a chance I might get a home demo today or on Tuesday. Will report back as and when.... I am quite excited about trying something a bit different :)

So, how's that phono stage, folk? ;)

I've no complaints about the MM stage but it certainly sounds different to my previous setup of Graham Slee Era V Gold/PSU1 power supply feeding a Naim 32.5/Teddycap with NJ cards. Everything now is going straight into power amp so it's a different preamp as well. There is less of a distinction between digital and analogue.
So it's hard to know what I'm comparing, I'm not going back to previous multitude of boxes to find out.
If I had to put money on it though I would probably bet that the previous setup was slightly better than the Mytek.

I've no complaints about the MM stage but it certainly sounds different to my previous setup of Graham Slee Era V Gold/PSU1 power supply feeding a Naim 32.5/Teddycap with NJ cards. Everything now is going straight into power amp so it's a different preamp as well. There is less of a distinction between digital and analogue.
So it's hard to know what I'm comparing, I'm not going back to previous multitude of boxes to find out.
If I had to put money on it though I would probably bet that the previous setup was slightly better than the Mytek.

You might consider on outboard power supply. A friend added the SBooster and the Brooklyn is now very close in SQ to my Mytek Manhattan.

You might consider on outboard power supply. A friend added the SBooster and the Brooklyn is now very close in SQ to my Mytek Manhattan.

Yep. IME a good outboard power supply can increase the Brooklyn's sound quality significantly.

anyone, by chance, running the Brooklyn or Manhattan into a Benchmark AHB2? Seems like that would be a great combo.

I have been really impressed with the Benchmark amp, completely silent, compact , sounds wonderful, and relatively inexpensive.
Keith

We do now,yes. The Stereophile review was excellent it measures as well as anything ,it is efficient,compact and light weight, pretty much perfect as far as I am concerned.
Keith

advertisement

Back