advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn DAC

Does Mytek advertise on CA?

As you well know, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question, yes.

I suppose that you're implying that that being the case the review is biased.

Do you hold a grudge against CA for being banned from there?

As you well know, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question, yes.

Thanks for confirming - no, I was simply guessing, as I don't follow CA.

I suppose that you're implying that that being the case the review is biased.

I am implying that CA reviews are pretty much infomercials. It is a commercial site run for money from advertisers. Nothing wrong with that, as long as it is clear.

Do you hold a grudge against CA for being banned from there?

Ah, thanks for bringing it up - no, not for getting banned, but I do have an issue with Chris reading private messages of his users.

CA is full of shilling and foo, if you read between the blatant shill posts there can be some good feedback or advice though.

CA is full of shilling and foo, if you read between the blatant shill posts there can be some good feedback or advice though.

Indeed. I first read there about how using a good external linear PSU with the Brooklyn could be a significant SQ upgrade. And it clearly is IMO.

A link would be lovely.

Unfortunately I think the material from the old CA version (2012 or so) isn't online any more, but the Wayback Machine might have it. Have to do some digging.

Why don't you ask Chris directly? He saw nothing wrong with it as long as it was just "a few select users".

A link would be lovely.

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a web page - going back to archived versions of CA on the Wayback Machine is really slow. But if you MP me an email address, I can send you the private message I got from Chris (on March 27, 2012) - I don't think it is fair to share it fully here, but happy to email it to anyone who wants to verify my story. It was sent to another user as well, so it can be checked with him too. Anyway, the crucial line in the message is "Julf & ### - The time has come for you two to move on to other pastures. Based on your PM conversations it appears you are no longer interested in Computer Audiophile for anything other than your own amusement."

When Chris was confronted with the issue of reading of PMs, he responded with "I almost never read PMs. I simply had a hunch and followed it.".

Only reason I am posting this is that you seemed to want some sort of evidence - fair enough, but I suggest we are now done discussing stuff that happened on other forums and isn't relevant for this one...

Unfortunately I haven't yet found a web page - going back to archived versions of CA on the Wayback Machine is really slow. But if you MP me an email address, I can send you the private message I got from Chris (on March 27, 2012) - I don't think it is fair to share it fully here, but happy to email it to anyone who wants to verify my story. It was sent to another user as well, so it can be checked with him too. Anyway, the crucial line in the message is "Julf & ### - The time has come for you two to move on to other pastures. Based on your PM conversations it appears you are no longer interested in Computer Audiophile for anything other than your own amusement."

When Chris was confronted with the issue of reading of PMs, he responded with "I almost never read PMs. I simply had a hunch and followed it.".

Only reason I am posting this is that you seemed to want some sort of evidence - fair enough, but I suggest we are now done discussing stuff that happened on other forums and isn't relevant for this one...[/QUOTE]

Sure.

I have seen many "flavour of the month" DACs come and go. The game-changing sound, on a complete different level etc. First it was the DAC2, then the Vega, then the Hugo, next year who knows. Colour me very skeptical that there are that many "completely different level"s! The boring truth: a lot of these units sound very similar when used as a straight DAC. And they ought to!

What lets many DACs down is the physical level and impedance matching when employed as preamps, but the basic D/A is all of a good standard these days.

Well as someone who owned a Vega, then my latest 'next best thing' but thank god cheaper DAC, there are clearly some differences.

I suspect the issue is most peoples remaining systems and room will mask that away (e.g. a pre-amp often wipes out differences).

To be honest, I had no issues with the Vega till I moved to a pair of Kef Blades - at which point the Vega's shortcomings became rather apparent.

So for all intent purposes, you are correct in most cases, they will sound similar. Very similar? Depends on rest of the chain.

bump

taking delivery of one of these tomorrow and want to talk about it!

anyone using it as a full preamp (and using the phono section)? I'm going to have it on home demo for a month or so. It will be the centerpiece of a complete system overhaul

current:
Snell J
Line Magnetic 518ia (22 watt 845 based SET amp)
Schiit Mani phono
Emotiva XDA-1

Future:
Vienna Acoustics Bach Grands
Mytek Brooklyn
Rotel RB-981
(I already have all this gear, except for the Brooklyn)

RP6/Denon 103 will remain the same

A drastic change, for sure

edit: Also wondering how it compares to the Oppo HA-1. Get rid of the phono pre and MQA support and they seem similar. I haven't seen either in person, but the build quality of the Oppo appears to be a little nicer.

I must admit to being tempted by the Brooklyn. It would solve all my hifi issues in one go, given that it's a DAC pre with integrated phono stage. If it's as good as the Vega in stock format, that'd be a big plus, as the Vega is good enough for me. If it can be boosted further with the LPS, then great.

The only thing giving me pause is the prospect of the Lakewest MDAC2 and/or FDAC. As these aren't actual products, I don't know whether they will sound as good or better than the Vega/Brooklyn, and won't know until they're actually ready, but I am very tempted by the Brooklyn despite this...

I ordered one directly from Mytek in Poland today. If you order directly from Mytek before the end of December, you get some free cables (no idea if they are any good, but they are supposed to be better than the usual freebies) plus a year’s free subscription to Roon, which I’m told is worth having.

The Brooklyn can be boosted with an LPS and the reviews I have read say that this gives a worthwhile improvement. Mytek suggest a car battery as being a good option. As that would be simple to arrange, I might just give it a try!

I too am waiting for the MDAC2 and/or FDAC, but my MDAC (unmodified) is expiring from bursting electrolytic capacitor syndrome, so I need something nice or hopefully better to replace it now.

Shame about the MDAC, great sounding product, but short lived (3 years).

I must admit to being tempted by the Brooklyn. It would solve all my hifi issues in one go, given that it's a DAC pre with integrated phono stage. If it's as good as the Vega in stock format, that'd be a big plus, as the Vega is good enough for me. If it can be boosted further with the LPS, then great.

The only thing giving me pause is the prospect of the Lakewest MDAC2 and/or FDAC. As these aren't actual products, I don't know whether they will sound as good or better than the Vega/Brooklyn, and won't know until they're actually ready, but I am very tempted by the Brooklyn despite this...

My advice is don't wait for Mr Westlake. I'm fairly sure the products will appear one day, but get on with your life in the meantime :)

I know, but I've waited this long. The thing giving me some pause is that the MDAC I have has the bulging/leaking caps problem. It'd clearly been doing it for some time, but all of a sudden the sound quality took a real nosedive, with distortion and weirdness, and I'm currently on a headphone-only system using the SBT direct into the Stax amp as my sole source of sound.

Decisions, decisions....

Out of interest, has anyone tried the Brooklyn up against a Fusioned MDAC?

I've used my MDAC very little really, i prefer the Cambridge Audio Dac + and power supply (at least when i had the 4 X monoblocks JBL's, headphone output is much better on the MDAC with HD 650s though).

Have a Cambridge 851 Dac i've used a few times and its a brilliant match for HD 650's, best headphone sound i've had, and i've tried a few Dacs and separate headphone amps over the years. Would like to try a Mytek Dac sometime in the future perhaps as i like the styling and functionality!

Have a Cambridge 851 Dac i've used a few times and its a brilliant match for HD 650's, best headphone sound i've had, and i've tried a few Dacs and separate headphone amps over the years. Would like to try a Mytek Dac sometime in the future perhaps as i like the styling and functionality!

speaking of that: anyone running the Brooklyn with HD600s?

advertisement

Back