advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn DAC

badlyread

pfm Member
Hi People

Anybody using one of these? Impressions? Very interesting DAC that has me tempted.

Thanks in advance,

Neil

Also tempted, thanks to the support for MQA. A member on here has one and loves it.

However there appear to be only three dealers in the UK that stock it so getting a listen may difficult.

I have one and couldn't be happier.

With the internal switching PSU its sound quality via USB asynchronous is similar to an Auralic Vega I'd say.

I added a good external linear PSU made by Qualiaphysic and the sound quality clearly improved.

Mytek's customer support works very well and there have been several software updates including one that I had asked for (the possibility of turning off the display while the DAC is on).

There is an interesting thread about the Brooklyn here:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-new-digital-analogue-converter-brooklyn-26001/

Hi radamel

Have you tried the phono input? How good is the headphone amp? Do you bypass or use the pre-amp?

Thanks

Neil

I didn't try the phono input as I don't have a TT.

I think the headphone amp is good at least it drives my Grado SR 125i perfectly. Please note that as I'm not that interested in headphones listening I'm not especially qualified to say. :)

I use the pre by pass as my Primare I21 is an integrated amp.

I didn't try the phono input as I don't have a TT.

I think the headphone amp is good at least it drives my Grado SR 125i perfectly. Please note that as I'm not that interested in headphones listening I'm not especially qualified to say. :)

I use the pre by pass as my Primare I21 is an integrated amp.

Several of us auditioned the Brooklyn on the system of a friend who is very much into vinyl and who has owned numerous phono stages. He thought the Mytek was one of the best he had ever heard. His reference is a custom-built Hegeman phono stage.

I am not normally a headphone user but have no issues with my Mr. Speaker Alpha Dogs being driven by my Manhattan which I am sure shares the Brooklyn headphone amp.

Both my friend with the Brooklyn and me with the Manhattan use preamps but after trying our DACs set to ANALOG at full gain, we agree that the sound quality is much smoother and engaging without losing detail or frequency extension in our systems. This setup was recommended by one reviewer. From what I understand Michal at Mytek designed preamps in a former life and brings this to the table.

Try it...you might like it!

Thanks!

It's good to hear that. :)

Regarding the pre I did try it. Analog, digital and bypass not only in my setup but also using a Gamut D150i where you can bypass the Gamut's pre-amp.

In both cases I always preferred bypassing the Brooklyn's pre-amp.

What pre-amp are you using?

Thanks!

It's good to hear that. :)

Regarding the pre I did try it. Analog, digital and bypass not only in my setup but also using a Gamut D150i where you can bypass the Gamut's pre-amp.

In both cases I always preferred bypassing the Brooklyn's pre-amp.

What pre-amp are you using?

Interestingly, the system where we auditioned the Brooklyn phono pre actually sounded best in DIGITAL mode.

FWIW, the owner of the Brooklyn is using the SBooster BOTM linear power supply.

As always, YMMV!

I am using a custom built LDR (Light Dependent Resistor)-based preamp similar to the Tortuga <http://www.tortugaaudio.com/> designs.

Indeed! What works well in some cases and for some tastes doesn't do it in other situations. :)

Still I hope to test the Brooklyn with a power amp in my room in the near future.

Has anyone tried any other power supplies? The consensus seems to be that a good external power supply really turns it into a great dac!

Has anyone tried any other power supplies? The consensus seems to be that a good external power supply really turns it into a great dac!

Kind of funny that the designers would be able to create a really great DAC, and then cripple it with a poor power supply.

advertisement

Back