advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn DAC

Apparently the phono stage isn't an afterthought, but quite high perfoming, though in some configuration modes benefit from an external PSU to eliminate hum.

Not a shocker that as usual, Mytek knock it right out of the park.... and looks like they've finally addressed the weaker preamps in previous generations to boot.

Optional PSU input is wonderful, in a world that's so excited to replace rather than enhance. Very positive feedback about improvements, which makes sense simply by isolating the PSU from the rest of the PCB, nevermind better quality aspects. I'd treat it as an itch to scratch later once one has normalised to it.

Apparently the phono stage isn't an afterthought, but quite high perfoming, though in some configuration modes benefit from an external PSU to eliminate hum.

Not a shocker that as usual, Mytek knock it right out of the park.... and looks like they've finally addressed the weaker preamps in previous generations to boot.

Optional PSU input is wonderful, in a world that's so excited to replace rather than enhance. Very positive feedback about improvements, which makes sense simply by isolating the PSU from the rest of the PCB, nevermind better quality aspects. I'd treat it as an itch to scratch later once one has normalised to it.

The Brooklyn's designer was well aware of this and was clever enough to allow for that option.

He states there that his design will sound better with an external power supply?
Keith

Yes; find it yourself in the active thread. Many owners have stated the same - improvements. All public domain... The internal PSU is designed to perform well to a price point. For ultimate Mytek performance one can take the Manhattan path.

It's been confirmed by many well established members of the CA.com community that improvements are there to be had, but as you seen yourself it measures very well with its stock SMPS PSU as is. People love it in stock form, minus the odd phono issue which doesn't impact it as a DAC.

Best of all, anyone with a Brooklyn can confirm themselves improvements, by simply buying a compatible PSU with a "cooling off period" if they don't think they're hearing any improvements. Simples.

This thing is next on my shopping list. MQA and hi-res (capable of much better than 24/192).

It's a choice of one, really. If those are requirements, there doesn't appear to be anything else worth looking at.

Hearing is more important though. I'm still reluctant to 'take a punt' at this price level. I wouldn't do it with a turntable.

Where can one hear one of these things playing the 32/768 of "Magnificat"?

Okay folks, having returned to the States, i have had ample opportunity to listen to a lot more DACs as dealers are more readily available for US product, such as the MYTEK Brooklyn

It does a lot in one box, that's not in question. However, you must ask yourself does it do specifically what you want it to do well? While I applaud the functionality and its MQA support, it does not particularly sound that much better or different than a fair number of similarly priced DACs on the market. (NO, they do not all sound the same - heaven forbid)

My point here is that if you presently own a similarly priced DAC which you like, make sure the MYTEK is different enough, reveals more than your present DAC. If you are after features and flexibility it is hard to beat.

Okay folks, having returned to the States, i have had ample opportunity to listen to a lot more DACs as dealers are more readily available for US product, such as the MYTEK Brooklyn

It does a lot in one box, that's not in question. However, you must ask yourself does it do specifically what you want it do well? While I applaud the functionality and its MQA support, it does not particularly sound that much better or different than a fair number of similarly priced DACs on the market. (NO, they do not all sound the same - heaven forbid)

My point here is that if you presently own a similarly priced DAC which you like, make sure the MYTEK is different enough, reveals more than your present DAC. If you are after features and flexibility it is hard to beat.

Finally we're back on topic.

IMO in terms of sound quality it is more or less on pair with an Auralic Vega.
If you add a good external linear PSU it gets better (lower noise floor, more relaxed realistic sound and more revealing). This is especially clear to me with piano pieces.

But if you listen mostly to pop/ rock perhaps an Exogal Comet Plus will be a better choice as it is much more forgiving with not so well recorded music.

Something also worth mentioning. It's mostly accepted digital hardware does have its jumps in performance every few years or so. Some kind of breaththrough is made etc.

And yet, most if not all measurements techniques stay the same, and often show similar behaviour in the typical measurement sets. And yet if you listen to that same equipment with a good enough setup, the differences can be stark.

Brings up an interesting point as to whether general measurements as they stand and publish are rather too simplistic, and as mentioned should only be used as a 'its not incompetent' point of reference.

<moderating>

A lot of trade agenda-spamming/thread-crapping.trolling removed. Keith, I am becoming increasingly tired of this behaviour regarding competitors product. You will be removed from pfm if it persists.

I can't say that another product looks really good with excellent measurements?
Keith

Of course you can. I'm sure nobody has said otherwise.

What boils my piss is your constant need to slag off products you don't sell. Also, trotting out the same comments ad nauseum. That this behaviour hacks off me and others is neither here nor there though. Surely it must be damaging your business?

<moderating>

A lot of trade agenda-spamming/thread-crapping.trolling removed. Keith, I am becoming increasingly tired of this behaviour regarding competitors product. You will be removed from pfm if it persists.
Tony
Just ban trade members from posting in the audio section, they have their own sub forum where they can promote their agenda(ie products) and not subject the rest of us to their crap.

Tony
Just ban trade members from posting in the audio section, they have their own sub forum where they can promote their agenda(ie products) and not subject the rest of us to their crap.

That would miss a lot of genuinely interesting knowledge and experience IMO, plus I don't think it is fair to penalise all for obvious troll/spam like behaviour of one.

That would miss a lot of genuinely interesting knowledge and experience IMO, plus I don't think it is fair to penalise all for obvious troll/spam like behaviour of one.

100% agree. I appreciate their contributions and have bought stuff from a couple. Hell would freeze over before I bought anything from Pigeon Audio.

Something also worth mentioning. It's mostly accepted digital hardware does have its jumps in performance every few years or so. Some kind of breaththrough is made etc.

And yet, most if not all measurements techniques stay the same, and often show similar behaviour in the typical measurement sets. And yet if you listen to that same equipment with a good enough setup, the differences can be stark.

Brings up an interesting point as to whether general measurements as they stand and publish are rather too simplistic, and as mentioned should only be used as a 'its not incompetent' point of reference.

I have seen many "flavour of the month" DACs come and go. The game-changing sound, on a complete different level etc. First it was the DAC2, then the Vega, then the Hugo, next year who knows. Colour me very skeptical that there are that many "completely different level"s! The boring truth: a lot of these units sound very similar when used as a straight DAC. And they ought to!

What lets many DACs down is the physical level and impedance matching when employed as preamps, but the basic D/A is all of a good standard these days.

Like everything digital these days, new products tend to be good of bad for specific set-ups.

I think this is a great product if you play vinyl and want a compact system. Just add a turntable and active speakers and you're done.

Power implementation in a DAC is important. I had a PS Audio PWD Mk11 that is still up there top of the list for good DACs, for a unit now quite old. Had excellent power implementation. Problem was it is big and runs hot, not ergonomic for me.

I considered the Brooklyn DAC, but I have a phono and wanted an excellent power supply. So I went for the MDAC+ and am very happy with it, and it costs less than half the price of the Brooklyn. In fact I paid £650 compared to £1,800 for the Brooklyn.

If it boils down to MQA, I would wait and see. Personally, I think MQA will die a commercial death. People were obsessing about DSD a while back. I have a DSD DAC. DSD only has technical merit if the recording was mastered for DSD or taken direct from tape. The benefit is smaller files sizes compared to 24/192, I can't say it sounds better.

DSD had the marketing advantage in that it is effectively the downloadable version of a SACD disc. SACD failed commercially but survives for limited audiophile use. MQA does not have anything similar to get market traction.

advertisement

Back