advertisement

Mytek Brooklyn DAC

Thanks for the link, the designer does appear to state that a larger power supply would bring improvements, and that the dac would become 'smoother' after a week, and then recommends a power supply for which the manufacturer doesn't appear to supply and specs or measurements.
I must admit I am surprised.
Keith

Mytek recommend a 12v 4-6A external PSU (it's in the Brooklyn's user manual).

'Properly designed power supply included in the price' .
Keith

It better. I think the selling price is 6k USD.
So they had the room and the budget to include not one but two linear PSUs.

Not exactly Daniel's league in terms of high prices but not what you'd consider affordable for most people.

I'm sure you'd find many attributes to justify its price tag should you be selling it.

Care to write something very very nice about it?

I appreciate skepticism, but Mytek doesn't sell power supply upgrade path products, so I don't see how they would benefit for making such claims.

I also don't understand the difference between a linear power supply and the one the Brooklyn ships with.

Dac designer believes in 'burn in' puts me off to be honest and the power supply thing, Benchmark appear to have managed to include a decent power supply in a similarly priced product.
Keith

Dac designer believes in 'burn in' puts me off to be honest and the power supply thing, Benchmark appear to have managed to include a decent power supply in a similarly priced product.
Keith

So no praise from you for a product that you don't sell.

And praise for one that you do sell.

Who could have seen this coming? :D

What makes you think that the Benchmark PSU is any better than the Mytek's internal one?

Either you show some measurements or it's simple mumbo jumbo.

I appreciate skepticism, but Mytek doesn't sell power supply upgrade path products, so I don't see how they would benefit for making such claims.

I also don't understand the difference between a linear power supply and the one the Brooklyn ships with.

The one that the Brooklyn ships with is a SMPS (switching mode).

Thanks for this note.
The interesting point is that there are many designers who think that switching psus are better than linear. The mytek measures very well (apart from the MQA filter)

http://www.stereophile.com/content/...ne-amplifier-measurements#Sv2DHVoHSE3RpIDQ.97

It's comparable to the benchmark 2 (slightly higher noise level but less harmonic distortion; neither likely to be audible)
http://www.stereophile.com/content/...ne-amplifier-measurements#715GOtw1jSbd0tMj.97

I can't see why either of them would be improved by a linear psu.

The interesting point is that there are many designers who think that switching psus are better than linear. The mytek measures very well (apart from the MQA filter)

http://www.stereophile.com/content/...ne-amplifier-measurements#Sv2DHVoHSE3RpIDQ.97

It's comparable to the benchmark 2 (slightly higher noise level but less harmonic distortion; neither likely to be audible)
http://www.stereophile.com/content/...ne-amplifier-measurements#715GOtw1jSbd0tMj.97

I can't see why either of them would be improved by a linear psu.

Better to hear than to see. :)

What LPSU will you be using?
I don't know the brand, but it's a rather unassuming box a little taller and not as wide as the Brooklyn.

Anyway, the dealer has just left. And I have bought a Brooklyn. It's a very good DAC and the internal MC stage easily outclasses my Dynavector. The LPSU is a useful improvement - I could easily hear differences, but for the moment I will stick with the vanilla Brooklyn until I know it better. It's a really superb DAC, although its UI is a bit sucky. Sonically, it's the best DAC I've tried in my system, being a bit better than the Vega which in turn was better than my (now deceased) MDAC L2 Toy.

All told, it's a steal at the price, although I suspect there's more to come as the unit I have is new and therefore may have some run-in to do. I went for a black one. The dealer left the remote, box and manual at home/shop so I can't confirm any of the fancy stuff such as different filters, etc., but in 'out of the box' form it's a keeper.

advertisement

Back
Top Bottom