advertisement

Multi-function 2017/2018 football thread Pt II

I expect you have seen some huge changes in football, which era do you prefer?

All before my time, I did go to the lane in the late 50's (8/9 years old) and Anderson was the manager.

Bloss

I enjoyed watching push and run and you needed fit players to take that style on but I suspect that the Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay and Cliff Jones team that followed found it a very demanding system to play , so It was abandoned.

When I look back on that and the slightly later era we had so many talented and skillful players such as George Eastham, Jimmy Greaves, Tommy Harmer, Bobby Charlton, Colin Bell, Denis Law, Johnny Byrne, Don Rogers etc etc . Nowadays we produce so few ball players and schemers and the domestic game has become so international the predominant factor is that footballers are athletes and sprinters first.

Some players are worth the entrance fee alone...Hazard, Silva, De Bruyne, Salah are superb as are a few others , Teams have always had a few hard me..Norman Hunter, Peter Storie and Chopper Harris who used to live near me for example but the game is far more cynical with with some players such as Hazard, De Bruyne and our Wilf Zaha Targeted.

The major problem now is that apart from six to perhaps eight team who operate at a different level all other teams struggle to build and progress because they are relegation candidates. Sunderland tempted fate every year like a floating turd without the funds or leadership and look like candidates again.

I hear Dele Alli was up to his usual tricks yesterday.
4247.jpg

TV replay will make more and more people cynical about football if they don't adopt intelligent TV reviews for Refs like rugby and cricket.

TV replay will make more and more people cynical about football if they don't adopt intelligent TV reviews for Refs like rugby and cricket.
More to the point, if we had intelligent TV reviews, Chelsea would've got a point yesterday. If Morata was offside my arse is a coconut

I enjoyed watching push and run and you needed fit players to take that style on but I suspect that the Danny Blanchflower, Dave Mackay and Cliff Jones team that followed found it a very demanding system to play , so It was abandoned.

When I look back on that and the slightly later era we had so many talented and skillful players such as George Eastham, Jimmy Greaves, Tommy Harmer, Bobby Charlton, Colin Bell, Denis Law, Johnny Byrne, Don Rogers etc etc . Nowadays we produce so few ball players and schemers and the domestic game has become so international the predominant factor is that footballers are athletes and sprinters first.

Some players are worth the entrance fee alone...Hazard, Silva, De Bruyne, Salah are superb as are a few others , Teams have always had a few hard me..Norman Hunter, Peter Storie and Chopper Harris who used to live near me for example but the game is far more cynical with with some players such as Hazard, De Bruyne and our Wilf Zaha Targeted.

The major problem now is that apart from six to perhaps eight team who operate at a different level all other teams struggle to build and progress because they are relegation candidates. Sunderland tempted fate every year like a floating turd without the funds or leadership and look like candidates again.

Thanks, an interesting perspective.

Bloss

Apologies for a bit of blatant nostalgia guys, but Yesterday TV channel is showing the Golden Gordon episode of Ripping Yarns tonight at 9.40. It is described as "One of the most fondly remembered self-contained comedies from Pythons Palin and Jones. A hopeful football fan waits for his hopeless team to win their first match." ;)

Ref dropped a big bollock over the penalty.
No way could he award a free kick to Rochdale.
It could only possibly have been a retake, like when the attacking side encroach.

Ref dropped a big bollock over the penalty.
No way could he award a free kick to Rochdale.
It could only possibly have been a retake, like when the attacking side encroach.

I believe he was right. It comes under unsporting behaviour, the penalty for which is a yellow card and an indirect free-kick to the opposing team. The change to the rules whereby someone gets fouled, they keep moving, then fall in the box equals a penalty seems dubious indeed. The referee and linesman both thought it was a free-kick. VAR is going to ruin football.

What's ruining football is players that cheat and dive, and referees that don't apply the same laws inside and outside the box ... oh, and too much money.

Was ever thus. It used to be that no-one could break into the big four because the Champions League money gave them an unfair advantage. Now the boot’s on the other foot, it’s not fair that rich owners are overly influencing football and preventing the former holders of football’s richest clubs from taking all the spoils.

I agree about diving though. Please enjoy this clip of a football legend trying to gain unfair advantages:

Oh and this has long been one of my favourites:

A serious question though, how is the altering of the hegemony a problem. City, Chelsea, PSG doing it on the back of their owners money is different how to Liverpool, Juve, Milan, United, Arsenal being the most successful because they had more money due to being in the Champions League? This became a self fulfilling prophecy, the teams in the Champions League always got in the Champions League because they had the money to buy the best players. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and United were the Sky declared big four, and no-one else could get near them. What is the issue with new challengers on the back of new money? It’s also interesting to me that City’s record signing is around 57 million? United’s? Liverpool’s? Chelsea’s? Spurs seem to be doing well with a record signing of 42 million. United meanwhile are spending a fortune, driving up prices, Pogba, Sanchez, and playing the worst football I’ve ever seen them play. Yes City may have spent a bundle, but we had a hell of a long way to go. We’ve come from Richard Edghill to Kyle Walker. Kevin Horlock to Kevin de Bruyne. We’re arguably playing the greatest football the Premiership has ever seen, and we’re having a ball. Even United fans are telling me they enjoy watching City. We make a profit, we satisfy financial FairPlay rules. What is the problem if it isn’t jealousy due to a previous sense of entitlement?

A serious question though, how is the altering of the hegemony a problem. City, Chelsea, PSG doing it on the back of their owners money is different how to Liverpool, Juve, Milan, United, Arsenal being the most successful because they had more money due to being in the Champions League? This became a self fulfilling prophecy, the teams in the Champions League always got in the Champions League because they had the money to buy the best players. Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and United were the Sky declared big four, and no-one else could get near them. What is the issue with new challengers on the back of new money? It’s also interesting to me that City’s record signing is around 57 million? United’s? Liverpool’s? Chelsea’s? Spurs seem to be doing well with a record signing of 42 million. United meanwhile are spending a fortune, driving up prices, Pogba, Sanchez, and playing the worst football I’ve ever seen them play. Yes City may have spent a bundle, but we had a hell of a long way to go. We’ve come from Richard Edghill to Kyle Walker. Kevin Horlock to Kevin de Bruyne. We’re arguably playing the greatest football the Premiership has ever seen, and we’re having a ball. Even United fans are telling me they enjoy watching City. We make a profit, we satisfy financial FairPlay rules. What is the problem if it isn’t jealousy due to a previous sense of entitlement?

You failed to mention the relegation's which add further to the way that city have turned things around.

Yes, I was there against Blackpool in our first game in the old Div 2. 30,000 of us wondering what the hell we were doing there. Wembley against Gillingham. Kevin Keegan, now that was a season in Div 1. A 6-2 win against Sheffield Wednesday was one of the best away days ever.

advertisement

Back