advertisement

LP12 subchassis - The 'RubiKon' #2

A couple of Linn fit RubiKons are fine. One is due to be fitted on Saturday.

The first batch will (I pray) be ready in a month. I visit the new anodiser next week and it should all be fine.

Andrew.

I visited the new anodiser today. 12 hour day!

They are perfect. They also do precision engineering and I spotted some Linn gear being machined.

Mid May and we will have product with dealers.

Andrew.

Andrew - if it's just a colour/consistency issue that was wrong with the first batch and you want to play, it's possible to strip-off anodising with caustic soda...

Martin, that is precisely what the anodisers had done. To be honest, we haven't documented all the work that has taken place, but it is fair to say that I believe AudioFlat made every effort to avoid this issue and to subsequently rectify it.

When I tried anodising some things, the anodiser told me that the quality and the grade of the aluminium used, is crucial to the end result.

It's a nasty process, and full of problems (like getting good earths), so I'd prefer paint these days.

Martin, yes indeed. However, in this case, care has been taken to select an appropriate grade of aluminium and a clear, achievable, specification was supplied. Unfortunately, the actual anodisers chose to ignore elements of the specification. What I (we) want is achievable - but care must be taken; I feel confident that these issues have now been resolved.

When I tried anodising some things, the anodiser told me that the quality and the grade of the aluminium used, is crucial to the end result.

It's a nasty process, and full of problems (like getting good earths), so I'd prefer paint these days.

It is a nasty process but as a finish it's superb when done correctly. These new people anodise for Linn, they know how to get the finish we want.
You are correct the grade of aluminium is very important so is the final finish. The new guys will employ a two stage linnish process to ensure a perfectly even finish before anodising. When I showed them the poorly finished ones they knew exactly what had not been done correctly and physically showed me the process they would use.

I'm very excited. We still have another month to wait but boy it's gonna be worth it.

When we deliver the first batch I think people/dealers will appreciate just what we have managed in just over a year.

Sorry if I am gushing but it's just Mark and I and I'm proud of what we have achieved.

I even processed a PO tonight and issued invoice #1!

We have sold our first RubiKon.

Peter Swain at Cymbiosis conducted a demo on Saturday between three identical decks apart from one had the std, one the RubiKon and a third the Keel sub chassis.

I know that the Keel was too rich for him so the RubiKon was the one he chose. How close did he think it came? Let's hope he post about the experience.

I'm chuffed to bits and so is YNWOAN!

Ah Paul (many thanks by the way) - you know what I would do ;). My own choice would be to bolt it into an ARO and as high a spec LP12 (with RubiKon) as one can stretch to - but an Ekos would be fine too (even an Ittok) :).

(As Andrew states - I am quite pleased. Sale by demonstration is the only way :)).

We have sold our first RubiKon.

Peter Swain at Cymbiosis conducted a demo on Saturday between three identical decks apart from one had the std, one the RubiKon and a third the Keel sub chassis.

I know that the Keel was too rich for him so the RubiKon was the one he chose. How close did he think it came? Let's hope he post about the experience.

I'm chuffed to bits and so is YNWOAN!

Congrats on your first born. :D May it be the first of many.

Yeh, well done with that, I know the work and attention to detail that have been involved so far.

Talking of which - I am, at this minute, going through ALL the CAD files, construction files, instruction files, modification files etc. sorting them out into one definitive current 'master' file - what a PITA!!!

Welcome to joys of digital asset management. Now imagine you have to do that for 3 designers, two graphic designers, 12 pro-team riders, 1 in house and two part time photographers and disseminate all to 28 magazine and 400 retailers worldwide.....

Beer tonight?

advertisement

Back