advertisement

LP12 subchassis - The 'RubiKon' #2

LATEST NEWS - RubiKon to be reviewed by Hi-Fi Critic

Well, Andrew and I have just got back from a very successful trip to visit Paul Messenger, esteemed hi-fi reviewer and editor of Hi-Fi Critic. He had asked if he could hear a RubiKon in his system and so we took down (right on the south coast) a RubiKon equipped LP12. I think it is fair to say that he was delighted with the sound; so much so, that he asked if I could fit a RubiKon to his deck (which I did) and he is now using it to play lots of vinyl :) (he tells me).

Normally Paul (a very nice chap indeed - very tolerant of myself), uses a Rega RB1000, but I only had an Aro RubiKon with me (luckily, he had an Aro to hand), he has asked for one of the first Rega RubiKons.

So, look out for a review of the RubiKon in Hi-Fi Critic :)

My copy of Hi-Fi Critic has arrived (the only magazine I actually buy) and we (AudioFlat) are indeed mentioned, in rather glowing terms in fact :).

With regard to the RubiKon chassis Paul Messenger writes:

"it sounds exceptionally good"

A full review will apparently follow once PM has been supplied with a Rega fit RubiKon (at present he has an Aro fit RubiKon, but his preferred arm is a Rega RB1000).

Unfortunately, there are a couple of inaccuracies with Paul's column. The most important is that he describes the RubiKon as being constructed from "substantial steel plates" - but it is actually made from aluminium, not steel - ah well ;).

We have sold our first batch of 20 and the second batch is on order.

By gum, it's hard work running a company in your spare time but it's really rather satisfying as well.

At long last the Rega arm mount version of the RubiKon is in production.

The same armboard allows fitting of both the older, single hole, style Rega mount and the newer, three holed outrigger, mount. As supplied the armboard is ready to fit the older style arm; if th newer mount is wanted, all you have to do is complete drilling the three 4mm holes - these holes are already part machined through on the back of the board, all that you have to do is drill through the final 1mm of aluminium (with a sharp drill) - very easy and guaranteed alignment.

The diagrams below show how to use the suppled arm mounting collar with both the newer Rega arm mount and the older Rega mount. The collar is made in such a way that it maximises contact pressure and applies it in a controlled manner.

If the newer mount is used then the three M4 screws (supplied), pass through the holes in the armboard and screw into the arm mounting collar. If the older older style of arm is used, then the aluminium arm collar is still used but the large arm mounting nut is tightened against it. It is important that the correct face of the arm mounting collar makes contact with the underside of the armboard.

fittingofRegaarmdiagram.jpg

I have been asked to clarify the design of the arm mounting collar described above; I hope the below diagram makes it clear.

Regaarmcollardiagram2.jpg

NOTE: The top picture shows the surface that makes contact with the underside of the armboard.
The lower picture shows the collar turned upside down and shows the underside.

Well, there is a raised ring on each side. The collar fits underneath the armboard and the side with the narrow, outer circumference, raised ring (the top picture) makes contact with the underside of the armboard.

Sorry if I've made it confusing - both pictures are the same thing, just turned over so you can see the other side.

News Updates

Aspects of the development of the RubiKon are discussed in an article I have written for the magazine HiFi Critic and is featured in the current edition (pages 12, 13 and 14).

Also, Paul Messenger (esteemed reviewer) writes about the RubiKon, in glowing terms, in the current edition of Stereophile (Jan 2012).

advertisement

Back