advertisement

LP12 Service Recommendation Hull Area?

Wonderful that this old deck is working again.
It would never have been economic to spend more than the deck is worth
on renovation without Andrew's enthusiasm and generosity.
Did you change out the other electrolytics on the Valhalla?

Wonderful that this old deck is working again.
It would never have been economic to spend more than the deck is worth
on renovation without Andrew's enthusiasm and generosity.
Did you change out the other electrolytics on the Valhalla?

I checked the other ones and they measured fine. When running the motor is totally silent and has zero vibration, perfect!

Update.

Wayne has bought a new plinth (to him) as the old one was not square and although the bounce was great the aesthetics would have annoyed him. I'm awaiting the arrival of the black one. Before I strip down the deck I'll check its true. Now that I've cleaned and serviced the deck the strip and rebuild will be a breeze................

All I can say is thank you to him, I am very grateful to Andrew for his time and effort on this project, top bloke isn't the word for it somehow!. He's an absolute superstar who is as we all can see a perfectionist in every way. I didn't realise this had issues to the extent that Andrew has identified I can't say in words how thankful I am to him personally.

Now fitted into a black plinth - lots better!

More pics added.

y4mE4gpasco8chV0lkW0tiMMl07F4wRMqVrLJxO68XuUNv3AvzzuQt-0hFVKYYgcsHZ2X0T6vthQTHnBWU0fbzYOKnD0Ne1UWuduDYgJEkP26EM9KGJoFarBQQAaKwVnb2k-KlJgApIErVOsHEnzBjKrnWpZZhp67cKPJVxYH15yUT6AX3QoK9AWnn6xqsd2A58ar80_MmJ5HFdC_1x_mWypQ

So it's finished and installed at chez Wayne.
Even though I say it myself...................it sounds superb! Wayne thinks it way better than the SL1210 he had before.
IIRC the system is LP12/LVX/AT95e > Sony TAF730ES > AE1

We played some uber posh Joni Mitchell vinyl. 'Conversation' was really stunning.......I thank Wayne is pleased. I'm glad as I reckon I've spent about 20 hours on it!
I did not want anything but walked away with several bottles of nice Malbec.

Some final pics:-

Setting the speed (final alignment not yet done).

y4mAWUtztFXk2PbgumLuxjv8Dpe8N0iMJn-bQnh9HeUm5ftdBhymYbZqBWcLlmR9tMgXaUUwSOOB4guGSmyK58Rg6jT74J2tZboQxqwPENq2Wy0k_v0L4aDKgv2_Kyn6q9EEiRkHDuWrRX_cqdWrwTKgNXN0-ZiP8--XJcwL8wnYAIxXvecWhwwLqiYwar4jvD7zg-oNlSW7EikIDORSc5r-g

y4mY9oYt77EgONsP89lm786m9LuVBa_LWupzV6yMID2dFoFKYbqEPUDaeYTQraWe9wFKAuh0nwNVRdF9Vc1cIdQgCxS_4NXNpgjehbWNcX-z9cSIcaRSBw_4uJz3At6HtO_MbxP1REMPY8o9ZTIPiLirqIzxgUBpYO25JZws0X-yjN25470sRAEtBHpo3epLNNBYnJ4VVrOuwny5WdSDkJjRA

y4me_Xko2ITD9-fJG5584jweB-CnsMmPU468oe02voD6LWMqoXSld7-wDwG4Y-NsWZuKykNH98dAguFK6uOOhFtnTdrFUl1dCA2KR6L2tSxuZgt8kYi2ipcl2k81ITlb5ixO1rqP0_uPF9l-s47Mtl0TDXlH5SS9rRI3_YLGoPqxAMfxYdFZ1RdQonYo2_feInnnh-tUhEWftKRg_KUZTlWYQ

Back home.......

y4mAk1KfIj4dhvqMfeRifszj7X1cWV39FV9HQctXPPsD1KDmBqGdaJahcgpA9tNlmnwuNt-Kvezv6-CTO617sFUGvfVMa3Ruf6mqme39omzQA0ApcDOz9TY8NqKfU2IjOyW9-9jwxr1eGBlQS3VZatW1Pu0YoOjk0B_OxgBa5VVNbmUnhBOjI0H0aDfKJ6qsjn3xGQdL-tsKC9j-VyeAa7ExA

y4mEgjHA2Mw9WOVmOKNyWrXVhW2hIGh_gaBxqH-3cWoSv5zX0y_EtC_255iyjeqH6FqEwV0y1kqcSqj_km6MqjsQtfT0vbcXblWrCYy5yMkEEwC-42I9LErfh1zdbNhkyjF98Hn1z-59jaEcPuRVHa2QTNjMjNG8b-b6cFt2sH80uW6XFLjAKMkCOwGoOl_vUHScHQtBw-lTBXExJf4cJ5Fxg

y4ml19tPXbjxfC_4PhHfrtNev7rWV8aaiXbKtJ8Bu3OJ-7DlIA8zRvq08j9NtSdkWwBO6fjshzKXQU7mXO4c5Skgc4TeH-IFc7sKGGN8jYWOO7GTdiEa7SVRWsbljyTuR5Sn8r2vNuCi0WAX3wwrC-Sd54qXjdBGNz4nAyLyH5jruTwC7YEj5-SULBYGRmJIPc3E-dn5CPou1gQGOPe98rJ2w

Thank you Andrew for all you have done for me with this, a really superb act of kindness which I will remember for a very long time. Tremendous work and a real labour of love from Someone who really knows his stuff and brought out the best in my now prized hifi piece. Enjoy the Wine with My utmost gratitude and compliments.

Had a few hours to compare the sonic characteristics of the LP12 in comparison to the technics 1210 I have here now , ( 1210 with Timestep Power Supply and KAB fluid Damper trough ) with a Shure 5100e Cartridge in the standard Tonearm. The difference is light and day to be honest!, I’ve always regarding the 1210 as being an excellent easy to use unit with excellent bass and an all round quality tone with a little fettling and modification. The Linn actually to my ears makes the 1210 sound entry level, which I know isn’t the case as I’ve owned many 1210s with tecnoarm A and dynavector cartridges etc. I’ve just played the excellent reissue on Rhino USA of Joni Mitchell’s “Ladies Of The Canyon” (Rhino Records R1 6376), pressed At RTI and to be honest my mouth was probably wide open in astonishment all the way through!. The depth and information that was presented was far far more than I ever have heard before on the Technics. Joni’s 12 string on many of the tunes and keyboard playing sounded as if she was actually I. The room. It was so realistic and tangible, not at all fatiguing, no blurring of sound or fuzziness. Everything was as sharp as a tack. There is no way the Technics can match anything that this Linn does for me. Everything is so much better timing , scale and overall feel.
I’m now onto Esbjorn Svensson Trio - Retrospective - Best of ACT 9021-1 and it is equally as revealing - bass especially is warm and natural , no un necessary thud which shouldn’t be there. Lovely everything is just right.

Conclusion - Linn certainly got things correct with the design and sound of the LP12 , and the work done by Andrew has given the old
Girl a fresh lease of life which I never expected!.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the feedback. I was very impressed with how good it sounded at yours. But you do have a superb amp and speakers!

I think sub £1k LP12s are becoming a bargain.
When setup well they offer superb performance.
What else for less than £1k sounds as good?

They are great decks. I have to say a Garrard 401 is a match, and I would like to give a full-house Lenco75 a proper test drive. The latter is very definitely a labour of love, the 401 fairly out of the box. There was a Loricraft serviced one for £600 here, drop that in a plinth, add an arm, job done.

The early WTA decks can be had for under 1k too, if you can live with the shonky ergonomics and build quality out of the MFI basics kitchen range.

The ittok I recognise of course, the platter looks like an L75, is it on a PTP? It looks very nice.

Yes, PTP5. Here's the build thread if of interest. It was a blast doing it:
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=6051.0

I've also got a 401 which is currently with Jolyon de Fossard. He's doing a full service on it and using it as a test-bed for a new arm idea, the prototype of which I'll have. I think it's likely the PTP will get dismantled at that point unless someone would want to buy it whole.

I would sincerely hope that a PTP Lenco as nice as that would stay together. As with any DIY, you are unlikely to get back the money spent, but that's not the point. You build these things because you can, and because you can generate something unique that can't simply be bought.

I have an L75 in an original plinth, and I fancy doing a PTP conversion. May I be cheeky and ask what I could expect to have to spend? I know you got your slate gratis from an old snooker table, but getting similar from a reclaim yard, or indeed a bit of York stone, wouldn't be beyond the wit of man. Here in Leeds I could get a paving slab for free, they have them literally lying on the pavements, I'll just pick one up.
(Joking, so no outrage please. We do (or did) have stone pavements here but we have had a long standing problem with people turning up in vans with hi-viz jackets and cones and lifting them up, and there are now a good deal fewer about. Add that when repairs are necessary it's easier to pour Tarmac and you can see why a York stone pavement is an endangered species, even in Leeds and Bradford where people still trip over York stone.)

advertisement

Back