advertisement

LP12 Service Recommendation Hull Area?

Wayne C

pfm Member
Have purchased an old late 70s Linn off a friend, that hasn't seen a record for at least 30 years , LVX Counterweight Rubber has turned to goo and the turntable platter is very low indeed ( nearly touching the metal plinth ), could any kind soul recommend someone who will strip this down and service it in the East Yorks areas. Thanks hoping not to have to post this but also hoping to save a bit to be honest as the stylus and cart need replacing also.

Why not do it yourself if looking to save money? :)

New springs/grommets, belt and oil and a couple of hours of your time will see it functional again. Not sure on the counterweight rubber, but worst case purchase a replacement 2nd hand? I have an LVX somewhere awaiting a bias dial repair, but counterweight is OK from memory.

Richard

Why not do it yourself if looking to save money? :)

New springs/grommets, belt and oil and a couple of hours of your time will see it functional again. Not sure on the counterweight rubber, but worst case purchase a replacement 2nd hand? I have an LVX somewhere awaiting a bias dial repair, but counterweight is OK from memory.

Richard

I've fixed the counterweight issue following a tutorial on another site ( without images ) removed the inner plastic piece from the counterweight, removed all the sticky rubber goo from this piece and the inner counterweight, cleaned armtube stub. Then went to local bike shop and they gave me a punctured inner tube which I cut 2 pieces of rubber from to fit around plastic piece and inside of weight. Gently inserted plastic piece ( with rubber rectangular piece ) and it fits and move perfectly. Quite pleased with that but whether I dare tackle the other jobs I don't know.

I've fixed the counterweight issue following a tutorial on another site ( without images ) removed the inner plastic piece from the counterweight, removed all the sticky rubber goo from this piece and the inner counterweight, cleaned armtube stub. Then went to local bike shop and they gave me a punctured inner tube which I cut 2 pieces of rubber from to fit around plastic piece and inside of weight. Gently inserted plastic piece ( with rubber rectangular piece ) and it fits and move perfectly. Quite pleased with that but whether I dare tackle the other jobs I don't know.

If you can do that for the CW, you can do a basic setup of an LP12 easily - it is quite a basic design. There is a very old thread on here somewhere of when I first tackled my 1977 example which was in a similar state (platter actually grazing top plate on rotation).

As a first step, simply take outer platter off, remove belt, remove inner platter, clean and re-oil bearing, clean belt using a bit of sandpaper, put it back together. Remove bottom cover, balance deck between 2 chairs to give you access to underside, adjust suspension to level out the platter. Mess around for as long as you like trying to get that pistonic bounce - I do think it is important, but not until you have worked out whether you want to invest in the deck...you really need new springs/grommets/belt to set it up properly.

Doing the above will allow you to listen to it and see if you like what you hear. My only caution would be on oil to use in the bearing after you have cleaned it - early non-Cirkus bearings sometimes has a plastic type of material that didn't like all oils and could cause it to swell...and if you end up ordering the right oil before doing this, I'd just buy the springs/grommets/belt at same time - minimal outlay in the big scheme of things. And take some pictures of the bearing and post here - you may find it has been upgraded to Cirkus already at some time in past.

If it has the original PSU (couple of caps and a resistor, along with red lamped push button on/off switch, do not be in too much of a hurry to replace it with a Valhalla - I did, but was never really convinced it did all things better).

Have fun :)

Richard

Thanks for the advice Richard, I'm tempted to tackle the task myself but not knowing what is the optimum setting would leave me contemplating whether the sound is correct or not!, indeed whether everything is right or wrong for that matter. I had a Linn 6 years ago myself ( bought it on here from a lovely guy who's name escapes me now! ), but I had that serviced and set up by Inspire Hi Fi ) who did a fine job indeed at that time.
I would like to save money and don't know what is expensive for a service or not , obviously if I could do it myself I'd get the pleasure from it but only been an amateur would leave me thinking that it is in no way near correct!. I'm I had a tutorial to consult that would be great. But I feel that I couldn't really do it as quite possibly I'd make a mistake not knowing or doing this before?.

C'mon Wayne. How often do you service Linn LP-12's? Not very often right? What's your time and peace of mind worth? Both Gaius and Mr. Nic gave you two great suggestions responding directly to your request. Hard earned wisdom says that, in life, low cost up front is often not low cost long term.

Good luck.

Take up Flat's offer then, he was one of those that helped me wayback when I first got mine :)

My original thread: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46088&highlight=*LP12*

I still think you should try it yourself first to learn how it works though - I'd estimate that professional setup bit brings about no more than a 5% optimisation in SQ compared to a competent DIY one. But that is just and estimate - Linn dealers still able to service LP12s were a bit thin on the ground in both Dublin and Zurich :)

Important to note though: I have quite a few good turntables now (TD-124, heavily modified L75, L70 and a HK ST-7). My LP12 is still in my main system, and is still what I use as a golden source for how music should sound when listening via CD - I mostly modify CD players now, but still use my LP12's presentation (important: with a decent subchassis!) if not ultimate dynamic range to measure modifications by.

I suspect Linn did very well stealing the original basic design as they did - it may be a fruitbox, but it is a very good sounding one with the right setup :)

Richard

In answer to Clay B above

That's a fair comment as mentioned I wasn't really thinking about tackling this task myself thanks was just asking who people would recommend , but on the other hand there probably are many folks on here ( including the kind chaps who chipped in above ) who can do this through experience I would guess?.

Wayne

By way of perspective, I own an LP-12 and the service jig. In my part of the world (Southern California) LP-12 service is not thick on the ground. The folks who do it have been doing it a long time. No new apprentices on the horizon. But, if I had someone close by with a good reputation who did set-ups routinely, that's where I'd be.

If you're after an idea of what's involved, have a look at the excellent material Peter has hosted on the Cymbiosis site. It's not rocket science - and you'll certainly be able to get the LP12 running with these instructions. But I also believe there is an art to setting up an LP12; at the very least a knack!

Take up Flat's offer then, he was one of those that helped me wayback when I first got mine :)

My original thread: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46088&highlight=*LP12*

I still think you should try it yourself first to learn how it works though - I'd estimate that professional setup bit brings about no more than a 5% optimisation in SQ compared to a competent DIY one. But that is just and estimate - Linn dealers still able to service LP12s were a bit thin on the ground in both Dublin and Zurich :)

Important to note though: I have quite a few good turntables now (TD-124, heavily modified L75, L70 and a HK ST-7). My LP12 is still in my main system, and is still what I use as a golden source for how music should sound when listening via CD - I mostly modify CD players now, but still use my LP12's presentation (important: with a decent subchassis!) if not ultimate dynamic range to measure modifications by.

I suspect Linn did very well stealing the original basic design as they did - it may be a fruitbox, but it is a very good sounding one with the right setup :)

Richard

I have just read the first paragraph and am amazed at how many issues you mention there are what I have with this one !.

1. Base board on this is warped
2. Platter edge is a bit dull

Also the top plate seems to need some attention as in work , it isn't dinted but it does see to have a different look to it in areas?. As I say it hasn't moved out of the same place for years and years

Agreed, will clean up - I'd use a soft cloth and metal polish in preference to a Brillo pad though :)

That plinth is not 1970's spec though, no holes for the lid prop. What is the serial number? It may well have had work in the past already - mine had not.

Agreed, will clean up - I'd use a soft cloth and metal polish in preference to a Brillo pad though :)

That plinth is not 1970's spec though, no holes for the lid prop. What is the serial number? It may well have had work in the past already - mine had not.

The serial is 38,900 can't remember exactly but definitely around that , will barkeepers friend be OK to use as it's worked wonders on my stainless microwave exterior

advertisement

Back