advertisement

LP12 Service Recommendation Hull Area?

There is an LP12 just gone up on ebay for auction with SME 3009 arm serial 1850 with red rocker switch. For my own curiosity Is this what you mean?

That's what I had on mine, s/no 1156. It had a tagstrip board for the power supply and a very basic (basik!) power supply network, just a cap for the phase shift and not much else. Maybe a resistor or two to voltage divide down the motor voltage. It sounded nice but it was a little "grey" sounding and not a very "Sondek like" LP12, IYSWIM.

Crazy price, someone is flying a kite. It's worth half that, maybe a little more given the crazy prices at present for LP12s and 3009s alike, and the weak pound.

Cleaned up the motor pulley and cleaned and re-lubed the thrust sleeve.

Pics added to folder.

I've also cleaned every single nut and bolt, the sub-chassis and cross brace.
Ive got the plinth to clean and polish and the top plate.

Would suggest changing the nuts to one of the later locking types. This might also necessitate changing the bolts, seems unlikely the early types were metric.

Paul

Hi Paul.

I have some locking nuts.

If they don't fit there is a superb hardware shop in York that stocks everything!

It's back in one piece.

More pics in folder for those interested.

y4mmswfP4w0S7qRimgth8z8v_BM2vSTKXiMp-5LN2PCi8HdqCQgTVOpxafnjeGSy9zCz-T4UQLO4veA-hKoHEb12pDlhndaeE171ce4GoZksLIpvey-K8o5-lV9vEmJkZIBUTqdlKbOsUQrcCrE3OzJoW57mK6esQblyK3zIoN9JPNJeQM0nNI6Zh9O9BvpoZQ8EUTuu6RChOS0C7yGngrvEA

That picture group surely must give anyone who's interested in this turntable a great and valuable resource for information on how to do this or indeed what to look at - very well done , are there some with the tonearm reattached with the base removed?. For them to see how to route the cabling perhaps?.

I'll get some inside shots done in the next few days when I put the new caps in the Valhalla.

It looks really sweet!

Thankfully top plate did not need 'adjusting'.................

It sits nice and true with zero rattles especially in motor corner.. Bit of sag against the arm-board but not serious.

Thankfully top plate did not need 'adjusting'.................

It sits nice and true with zero rattles especially in motor corner.. Bit of sag against the arm-board but not serious.
There's supposed to be 'sag' by the arm board, does yours not do that?

Looks good regardless. A blast from the past. My original LP12 was exactly that spec, about 1981 or 1982.

Paul

I think the earlier ones have a nice curve, the later a bit more of a wave...

The curve makes having your bolts vertical more of a challenge, and hence adds to the setup myth. IMO.

Paul

advertisement

Back