advertisement

Impressive cathedrals and churches

What about Exeter ?
... and in Germany, Regensburg
... and in France, Amiens and Châtres (already mentioned).

Is Beverley church a cathedral? Really ought to be. The roof tour is highly recommended

Also Wells has an amazing scissor arch

I think Beverley was built with the intention of being a cathedral - some complicated history around the Princes and church of York.

My daughter was lucky enough to sing in St Davids cathedral a couple of years ago. I took a day off and drove from the Worcestershire to see it, and drive back early the next morning. Wonderful, and lovely.

And a storming fast drive there and back in the Jag too...

I also very much like Durham - the location is beautiful.
St Peters in Rome - too big (odd but that is how I remember it!)
Rouen is delightfully jammed into the town too.
Lincoln lovely too, but the nice bit of town is small, as someone else has said. Steep Hill is the best named road ever!

Thanks vuk, I'll have a look at the vid later.

just a warning. it is ultimately a wildly freeform social/political rant. if you end up watching the whole thing, i want to make sure it's because you found it entertaining, not a policy statement on my part -- although i am growing to believe even the outlandish parts more and more with every presidential tweet.

The Stiftskirche (abbey church) of St. Gallen in NE Swizzieland is a favourite of mine:
What is most impressive about the place is the organ. The integration is so perfect it makes you think the chuch was built around the instrument. A sonic experience comparable to the Berlin Philharmonic or somesuch.

we've seen some stunning ones on our travels in places like Matla and the Algarve - where the inside of small local churches blow away 99% of the ones in the uk...

and the one in Florence blew me away too...i was not expecting to see that when i walked around a corner.. :)

I'm biased because I was born and bred in Salisbury and lived in Harnham thus I got to see the Cathedral from the watermeadows every time I walked into town. The building never fails to raise awe and seeing it peer above the skyline from the valleys as you draw closer to it is a reminder that I'm going 'home'. The local council keeps the skyline deliberately short in planning applications to preserve the view. It's a beautifully austere piece of architecture in one style.

I'm biased because I was born and bred in Salisbury and lived in Harnham thus I got to see the Cathedral from the watermeadows every time I walked into town. The building never fails to raise awe and seeing it peer above the skyline from the valleys as you draw closer to it is a reminder that I'm going 'home'. The local council keeps the skyline deliberately short in planning applications to preserve the view. It's a beautifully austere piece of architecture in one style.
Salisbury cathedral is austere?
What does that make this...

images

:)

we've seen some stunning ones on our travels in places like Matla and the Algarve - where the inside of small local churches blow away 99% of the ones in the uk...

and the one in Florence blew me away too...i was not expecting to see that when i walked around a corner.. :)
Yes, there are some beautiful churches in such places, wonderful little chapels in Greece. 'Course, in comparison to british churches, they all missed out on one thing - The Reformation.

Well I'm blowed ! Page 5 and no mention of Norwich. Celebrated its 900th anniversary a decade back. It has to be one of the earliest, and is massive (bigger than Canterbury if my memory serves). No charge for entry either. Norwich Castle was the second built in Britain late 11th/early 12th century. The pub round the corner, The Adam and Eve, was built for and frequented by the cathedral workers.

The Lazarica church in the Birmingham suburbs is virtually unknown even to Brummies. It has a modest exterior but is gloriously exotic inside.

5ce0e236-a31c-4eea-8918-7c6ffe1bdc42-2060x1373.jpeg

Thanks for mentioning this. I live a couple of miles away and had indeed never heard of it. Will have to pop down, it looks amazing.

Personal favourites include Winchester, St. Vitus in Prague, and the doors of the Duomo in Florence. I've never been inside (bad timing when visiting) but a couple of times I've just stood admiring the carvings on the doors.

1960b9cc44019818faf4f10ace1e388b--italy-trip-italy-travel.jpg

St John The Baptist, a church in the centre of Needham Market, Suffolk, a couple of miles from me, has the most magnificent 13th - 14th century oak hammer-beam roof -

eVuZkNH.jpg

Reactions: PsB
St John The Baptist, a church in the centre of Needham Market, Suffolk, a couple of miles from me, has the most magnificent 13th - 14th century oak hammer-beam roof -

eVuZkNH.jpg
That is spectacular! I always meant to go and see Lavenham church (been past it a few times), so I'll add Needham Market to the tour. I also seem to remember Blythburgh was worth a visit

Personal favourites include Winchester, St. Vitus in Prague, and the doors of the Duomo in Florence. I've never been inside (bad timing when visiting) but a couple of times I've just stood admiring the carvings on the doors.

I found the interior disappointing compared to the outside. Did you go into the baptistery opposite? Now that _is_ a building with a magnificent interior.

advertisement

Back