advertisement

Impressive cathedrals and churches

Wells is also home to one of the oldest clocks in Europe, taken from Glastonbury abby. There's also some really nice Templar churches in the area.

Beverley Minster is my local parish church and does indeed dominate the surrounding area. It's often used as a stand-in for Westminster Abbey on many TV dramas.

2433098_89a56508.jpg

Agree about Southwell too, stumbled across the building while out on a drive and it's a stunning find. I'm a big fan of gothic architecture in general and I've visited most of the buildings mentioned in the UK and around Europe on this thread. Keep 'em coming though.

Well I'm blowed ! Page 5 and no mention of Norwich. Celebrated its 900th anniversary a decade back. It has to be one of the earliest, and is massive (bigger than Canterbury if my memory serves). No charge for entry either. Norwich Castle was the second built in Britain late 11th/early 12th century. The pub round the corner, The Adam and Eve, was built for and frequented by the cathedral workers.

My local too, but I think you're being a tad conservative - the very oldest parts are a whisker over 1000 years old, I believe. The 15th century spire is the second tallest in the land, after Salisbury, and nearly got destroyed during one of the Baedeker raids in the war when a bomb struck it and fortunately bounced off. It's always a pleasure to go in there when someone is playing the organ - such acoustic power in a very large space is quite something to hear and feel! The cafe is quite decent too.

I have no truck with religion but I am enthralled by such monumental achitechture, more so given the primitive construction techniques.

My local when growing up was Wimborne Minster in Dorset, know for its chain library with a particular book with a hole burnt right through it by a candle when the reader fell asleep.
Also a great fan of Salisbury and Wells cathedrals as not that far away.
Has anyone mentioned the wonderful St Lo cathedral in northern France, this was heavily damaged in the second WW so repairs were made with a completely different colour stone
Frederic Forsythe used the building for reference purposes in writing Pillars of the Earth because so much of the construction is so clear to see

Wat Rong Khun just outside Chiang Rai in Northern Thailand Mike.

That whole region is well worth a visit during one's lifetime IMHO.

I’ve often been told that is the best time to visit places - although given the subject matter, I suppose any time afterwards could be possible.

I like churches without roofs. There is San Galgano in Tuscany, and one in Lisbon (can't remember the name).

I'm always in awe of both Liverpool Catherdrals, very different in style and construction, the Anglican Cathedral is just so vast, and the Catholic one so unexpected. Both are favourite photographic subjects of mine:-

171118 Liverpool Anglican Cathedral c-w irratating lens flare
by David Yeoman, on Flickr

170929 Liverpool Cathedral Lady Chapel 2000px

Will My iPhone Capture This

170224 Catholic Catherdral, Liverpool

Looking For Inspiration - Cinema Project 005 by
David Yeoman, on Flickr

170819 Liverpool Catholic Cathedral Fisheye X100F

At the other extreme, this is Newlands Church, in the Newlands Valley near Keswick, Cumbria. Very isolated, and a wonderful place to sit in tranquillity whilst a storm's raging across the Fells outside.

282VcJz.jpg

Surely at 7 pages thus far it's a violation of some kind of church equivalent of Godwin's law that no one has mentioned the Sedlec Ossuary?

Rhug Chapel, near Corwen - not worshipped in any more and under the care of CADW but stunning nevertheless
Exquisite - we can almost smell the scent of old wood. Too bad it's a triangular roof, acoustics could have been something special.

advertisement

Back