advertisement

Impressive cathedrals and churches

Vienna & Prague:

24091928757_d4ccb36cbc_c.jpg

38240538824_bc3592ba04_c.jpg

But the views of Salisbury cathedral across the meadows on a misty morning are just sublime

Seems the big stuff is well covered....here are some small gems.
Patrishow, lonely and only just accessible by car in the hills behind Abergavenny
Partrishow-4409-s.jpg

Partrishow-4345.jpg

A fine 15th century rood screen, too
Ewyas+029.JPG

And remote, high above the Conwy valley, with foot access only is Llangelynin, which has a saints well, upon the water surface of which clothes of sick children were cast to see if they would live(float) or die(sink). Beside a drove road, it has a separate side aisle at a right angle where the smelly uncouth drovers were allowed to sit. Has ancient Welsh texts painted on the walls inside.
llangelynin_april2012-037.jpg

images

Albi in south-western France. Huge, brick built, and originally a ‘f*** you’ to the Cathars. The interior is equally impressive. The river has pigeon eating catfish - as featured on Planet Earth II.

671f6e75ff1b28be04f5a8174391d54e.jpg

The Magnificent Interior of St Mary's Chapel, Grandtully -

paintedroof-450.jpg

- looks like a cow shed from outside.

Albi in south-western France. Huge, brick built, and originally a ‘f*** you’ to the Cathars. The interior is equally impressive. The river has pigeon eating catfish - as featured on Planet Earth II.

I like the use of cannonball-deflecting round edges. Says a lot about the local reactions when built.

An unidentified, neglected church in mid-Wales, photographed about 1978:

2789061123_ddfb3bd6a7.jpg

Volterra cathedral and surrounding roofs:
2789132493_0c2e6b66e8.jpg[

The Magnificent Interior of St Mary's Chapel, Grandtully -

paintedroof-450.jpg

- looks like a cow shed from outside.
Oh, I do like that. Definately one to visit. Might well be up at Blairgowrie this christmas, a good break from the "Christmas Fun".

One little church I liked was at Hrastovlje in Solvenia. It's a tiny fortified church in pretty much the middle of nowhere, which unexpectedly has the inside walls covered in amazing 500+ year old Frescos.

I liked the Sistine Chapel too, and we were lucky enough to see it when it had just been re-opened and was relatively quiet.

Glorious buildings one and all.

it does leave one wondering though just which parts of the scriptures the self righteous money grabbing goblin followers bothered to read and digest.

The Stiftskirche (abbey church) of St. Gallen in NE Swizzieland is a favourite of mine:

Kuppelraum.jpg

Not, I hasten to add, because of the Irish connection (the original monastic settlement was founded by an Irish monk, Gallus, in the 9th century). The wonderful richness of baroque decoration is offset by pure white walls. The Stiftsbibliothek (abbey library) is equally stunning:

Bibliothek-in-der-Stiftskirche-St.-Gallen.jpg

Yes, they'll let you walk on that floor - but only after you've donned felt overshoes. The library is one of the great treasuries of mediaeval and pre-mediaeval literature, going all the way back to the writings of those Irish monks over a millennium ago.

Strasbourg is epic.
25074981408_b550fdf63e_b.jpg
Completely over the top in everything, footprint, height, detail inside and out.

It feels like a skycraper even today, dwarfing everything around it.

They actually intended to build another spire, but never quite around to it, hence the unique asymmetric appearance.

Glorious buildings one and all.

it does leave one wondering though just which parts of the scriptures the self righteous money grabbing goblin followers bothered to read and digest.
Well they can be seen as a follow-on from the Jewish Temple, which God commanded Solomon to build. Admittedly, Solomon's Temple was relatively small, compared to Herod's monstrosity, which was so enormous that the Temple Mount had to be extended to accomodate it (the only bit of the Jerusalem of Biblical times that remains is that extension, known as the Wailing Wall). In addition, labour was relatively cheap in those days - the cost of building a Gothic cathedral today (in which every individual stone has its assigned place) would be horrendous, even with modern machinery.

In addition, their sheer size tends to induce a feeling of respectful awe, appropriate for a house of worship.

An unidentified, neglected church in mid-Wales, photographed about 1978:

2789061123_ddfb3bd6a7.jpg

Volterra cathedral and surrounding roofs:
2789132493_0c2e6b66e8.jpg[
Do have a deep seated, justifiable fear that should you cross the threshold of any such building, you would burst into flames?

advertisement

Back