advertisement

Impressive cathedrals and churches

No, I think the other theme that is emerging in this thread is equally worthy - 'impressive' does not have to mean big or ..floral, decorated, expansive: it can also be the delightful, small quiet places in which you find a space for a moment of peace or pause or reflection ( and I say this as an atheist)

One of my favourites local to me is the Saxon church in Bradford-upon-Avon - so unassuming it was essentially forgotten to be a church for over 800yrs! It is a small, human-scale building; not impressive in any great architectural sense - good if crude stone, dark, simple - yet the continuity, the age and simplicity of the space, the fact it is still there and serves much of its original purpose, of value(s) common to humanity then as now a millennium later: that is special.

http://greatenglishchurches.co.uk/html/bradford-on-avon.html
(the pics belie things: this place is tiny)

When I was a kid I used to cycle miles to go to this place near Wimborne in Dorset. It's Knowlton Church, a Norman Church inside Neolithic earthworks. It had a haunting quality that fascinated me at the time, and after visiting many old castles and churches since, it still does. Never been sure why. Perhaps ghosts really do exist! :eek:

25270616928_cee8d18a58_c.jpg

When I was a kid I used to cycle miles to go to this place near Wimborne in Dorset. It's Knowlton Church, a Norman Church inside Neolithic earthworks. It had a haunting quality that fascinated me at the time, and after visiting many old castles and churches since, it still does. Never been sure why. Perhaps ghosts really do exist! :eek:

25270616928_cee8d18a58_c.jpg

It's amazing how many neolithic sites have remained undeveloped and how, since the onset of the iron age we in effect, "abandoned them even though they are often found in in prime areas. A particularity notorious example is not far from my gaff in the shape of Meon Hill. It's as if these areas are "uncomfortable" for us to live on or near and they usually are ripe with legends of everything from Shucks/Black Dogs to "Timeslip" experiences. Such areas exist world wide under a myriad of local names, I wonder if, Britain's relatively large population to area demographic means they tend to be cheek by jowl with populated areas whereas, in other counties with larger land masses, they are far more isolated?

Just remembered a couple of other beauties I've visited this year on my travels.. if you're ever near Orkney, check out St Magnus (f. 1137) and for atmosphere on a balmy summer's morning... it has to be The Basilica of Sacré-Cœur in Montmatre.... simply stunning

St. Davids Cathedral is my favourite. A delight as it is huge and hidden from view, great organ as well with bass that churns your stomach.

The bombed out Coventry Cathedral and the adjacent 'new one'. I have relatives in Coventry and watched the new one being built over a period of years.

The collective old and new are actually referred to as The Cathedral. Sympathetically linked by the high covered walkway between. My daughter has just graduated from the university there, and the graduation was held in the Cathedral. A lovely event, and what an organ and acoustic they have in there! Very impressed.

advertisement

Back