advertisement

Impressive cathedrals and churches

Since Wells has been mentioned a couple of times - some gratuitous pics (taken late-May 2015)
To my view, a place much more impressive inside than out.
The nearby Close of Almshouses is also wonderful.

DSCF7098_1024px.jpg

DSCF7126_1024px.jpg

DSCF7115_1024px.jpg

a few months ago I had the privelige of attending a friends ordination in Winchester cathedral . I have never been in such a service is such s big church .WOW ......that organ was so magnificent and as for the singing ......what an experience

a few months ago I had the privelige of attending a friends ordination in Winchester cathedral . I have never been in such a service is such s big church .WOW ......that organ was so magnificent and as for the singing ......what an experience
That's how they get their hooks in you! Just don't go eating the flesh and drinking the blood...

When I lived in Winchester the organist did a Bach-athon for charity. This involved playing the complete organ works of Bach over a 24 hour period (I think he was allowed a couple of hours kip after midnight). If I remember rightly he started at 7pm one evenind and brought the whole venture to a resounding conclusion at about 5pm the next day. I caught about three hours of it and it was a wonderful experience - for the setting, as much as for the music.

I found the interior disappointing compared to the outside. Did you go into the baptistery opposite? Now that _is_ a building with a magnificent interior.

Unfortunately not - I've been around there a couple of times, but only after most things were shut. So the only places I've actually been inside were bars. Still a lovely place to walk around though. I'll certainly try to make the effort if I end up there again though. Having googled it, it does indeed look spectacular.

Having seen Martin's first photo of the interior, wow just wow, why have I never visited Wells. It's on the list for this summer

I’ve visited and been lucky enough to sing in many. One I have found consistently remarkable is the modern Liverpool Metropolitan. When the sun is out, the interior is extraordinarily in my view.

When I lived in Winchester the organist did a Bach-athon for charity. This involved playing the complete organ works of Bach over a 24 hour period (I think he was allowed a couple of hours kip after midnight). If I remember rightly he started at 7pm one evenind and brought the whole venture to a resounding conclusion at about 5pm the next day. I caught about three hours of it and it was a wonderful experience - for the setting, as much as for the music.

gosh that must have been awesome , folks in winchester are very fortunate , its a beautiful place

Ely's a good one, all the more striking given its location in The Fens.

In a similar vein, Southwell Minster is a dominant presence in what's little more than a large village:

600px-Southwell_minster1.jpg

If you visit make sure you see the stone carvings known as The Leaves of Southwell.

Wow. That looks like Derek Jarman's inspiration for set of 'The Devils'.

I’ve visited and been lucky enough to sing in many. One I have found consistently remarkable is the modern Liverpool Metropolitan. When the sun is out, the interior is extraordinarily in my view.

I was told once that Liverpool Cathedral (not the spiky one) is the largest enclosed space in Europe. I can't remember which deep crevice of my mind that came from but I will investigate.....

Salisbury,Chichester,Norwich,Chester,Lincoln,Brecon,Regensberg ,Notre Dame( could not find Quasimodo), Dresden, but the place that remains in memory was St. Nicholas church in Hamburg for a short period the tallest building in the world now remains a bombed relic left as a peace memorial after ww2.

Well just a fortnight ago I had the privilege of singing Haydn s creation in southwell minister choir of 170 full orchestra & 3 soloists inspiring

Wat Rong Khun just outside Chiang Rai in Northern Thailand Mike.

That whole region is well worth a visit during one's lifetime IMHO.

advertisement

Back