advertisement

Harvey Weinstein

A response to a charming individual who apparently doesn't share my wish that..

>platitudes<

...and chooses instead to mock such thoughts whilst vilifying an individual yet to be charged with a crime of any sort.

Happy to be considered scummy by some for that :) I feel I have my priorities right.

Your priorities are clearly deflection and misdirection.

When Polanski was being held in Switzerland a few years back there was a petition to get him freed by a lot of folks in the film industry - including Asia Argento apparently. Crazy.

Yep, it's a cesspit for sure. Millions sloshing about, careers resulting in extraordinary wealth and planetary sized egos. It honestly makes me a little sick when I listen to some of the promotional interviews prior to the launch of a new film where all the luvvies make out that so and so is such an enormous talent and blah blah blah. It's just an industry designed to sell fame and celebrity.

I'm delighted that the whole thing has blown up and the industry must be crapping itself that Weinstein is actually the embodiment of normal behaviour for a large section of it; influence and power abused. I can relate with those who don't have much sympathy for actresses and others who go along with it. If you don't speak out then you're condoning it, simple as. You've put your career ahead of your principles. This is why I find the spotlight on his exploits interesting because it's not about Weinstein, it's about endemic sexism across the industry and 10s of thousands of people should be ashamed of their part in quietly supporting it.

Incidentally, the actress who agrees to the sexual requests of a powerful producer or director is probably taking a job or jobs, in fact it could be a career, away from others who may be more talented and harder-working but refuse these requests.

Incidentally, the actress who agrees to the sexual requests of a powerful producer or director is probably taking a job or jobs, in fact it could be a career, away from others who may be more talented and harder-working but refuse these requests.
Yes. Burn the witches!

This thread is doing a great job of flushing out members who lack the empathy and imagination to grasp what it might feel like to be young, female and dependent on the whims of powerful men in a fundamentally corrupt industry.

Yes. Burn the witches!

This thread is doing a great job of flushing out members who lack the empathy and imagination to grasp what it might feel like to be young, female and dependent on the whims of powerful men in a fundamentally corrupt industry.

Well if you have all this empathy and imagination coming out of every orifice, try to imagine how bitter a good, hard working actress feels who sees a job or career stolen from her by another actress who does what she herself refused to do. In, as you say, a corrupt industry. She is, after all, just as dependent on the whims of powerful men.

... it's not about Weinstein, it's about endemic sexism across the industry and 10s of thousands of people should be ashamed of their part in quietly supporting it.

But the trouble is that it's not just about the movie industry, it's about endemic sexism that's been going on just about everywhere for centuries. What's "locker room talk" after all & who here has never participated in it ? It's far less likely that women in positions of power abuse that position in a sexist way, yet it happens over and over with men. So as disgraceful as Wienersteen's behaviour is - for which he may never be found guilty or stand trial - the hypocrisy goes far beyond the entertainment industries.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And as for merlin... nobody has to agree with his clearly-expressed views (which in a court a judge would be bound out of fairness to the defendant to carefully consider), but FFS attack the argument, not the man ...

So focus the anger on the men who abuse women. It's not hard.

Well if you have all this empathy and imagination coming out of every orifice, try to imagine how bitter a good, hard working actress feels who sees a job or career stolen from her by another actress who does what she herself refused to do. In, as you say, a corrupt industry. She is, after all, just as dependent on the whims of powerful men.

The way I imagine it, other actresses don't see it as a job or career stolen from them by other actresses, they see it as their career stolen from the by an odious creepy man. That seems to be how just about every actress commenting on this appears to see it.

You clearly have a very misogynistic imagination.

Or.... they may have been manipulated into having sex with a sociopathic rapist who holds zero respect for women,

Do you read posts here or just jump in with the next odious remark for attention without giving it a second thought.

Out of interest, have you ever spoken in person to someone who has been in such a situation, a genuine question BTW.

I don't often write holy fukc, but holy fukc!

Joe

Re Polanskji, his "crime" is nowhere near as clear cut as it might seem. Polanski along with Jack Nicholson and another male film star were invited to a party where many believe they were setup as a blackmail sting that went wrong. If it ever had reached court then his defense would have almost certainly been one of entrapment. Ie, he was at an adult party, she made the first move etc etc.

I worked with a lass who was from Hollywood for a couple of months. The photo shoots she did as a 15 year old for music mags you'd look now and say. "My god really , that pose and how old were you?" Check out what went on with Runaways, that was par for the course back in the 70s.

Remember, John Lydon was effectively banned by the BBC for several years for not even making specific accusations about Savile that were never aired at the time they were recorded.

You can go back as far as Clarke Gable and the given reason he had the first director fired from "Gone with the Wind".

Re Polanskji, his "crime" is nowhere near as clear cut as it might seem. Polanski along with Jack Nicholson and another male film star were invited to a party where many believe they were setup as a blackmail sting that went wrong. If it ever had reached court then his defense would have almost certainly been one of entrapment. Ie, he was at an adult party, she made the first move etc etc.

I think that's nonsense - Nicholson wasn't even there at the time. Polanski had taken photo's of the 13 year old girl before (so was well aware of her age) before he invited her for the private photo session where he drugged and raped her. He admitted having sex with her (including knowing she was well underage) - his only partial defence was that ti was consensual (denied by his victim), however that wasn't much of an argument given he knew she was 13.

There are quite a number of additional allegations coming out about Polanski as well, including some that are similar to Weinstein as well as others which also involve underage girls. From what is currently available in the public domain we can see that Weinstein is bad, but Polanski appears much worse given the age of his admitted and alleged victims.

advertisement

Back