advertisement

EXACTLY why did Tony sell his Tannoys?

A girl with big Tannoys? I could work within those parameters.

He is having a mid life crisis ..., be careful Tony remember what it was like when you had the small speakers?

sony-ad-girls8.png

You want the truth? You're not ready for the truth.

Aliens will take over the world in 2012. In order to do this they need to break our spirit and weaken a number of institutions.

Global warming, international terrorists, erosion of the international financial system, volcanoes, earth tremors, flooding - all are just the start of creating global unrest.

In addition - a number of key institutions that provide comfort and succour are under attack.

The aliens abducted Tony's Tannoys and replaced them with Harbeths. Tony had false memories implanted explaining their disappearance. These memories were cleverly constructed around questions Tony had in his mind - building and making use of the paranoia. But. They were not quite good enough. Tony has been remembering. He realises that something is wrong and is trying to put it right.

Be afraid.

Tony,

Don't ever take advice from the Ribee entity. Here he is in his Porsche, with the morph field switched off:

kodos_200.gif

A girl with big Tannoys? I could work within those parameters.

Tony.

Would this be a bad time to mention cone sag?

John,

This kind of scenario?
5395594408_9bae5ca610.jpg
Possibly, but I was thinking more along the lines of ...

knowspock_good_evil.jpg

However, I've not ruled out transporter accident / duplication. It's happened before.

If this doesn't work, indeed.

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
'Evil Tony' invites Girl next door around for tea and biscuits, she rushes into the lounge to admire Tony's huge Tannoys, instantly she spots the Harbeths and faints, falls to the ground and cracks her skull wide open on one of Harbeths, 'Evil Tony' desperately tries to hide the evidence.

what.jpg

'Evil Tony' invites Girl next door around for tea and biscuits, she rushes into the lounge to admire Tony's huge Tannoys, instantly she spots the Harbeths and faints, falls to the ground and cracks her skull wide open on one of Harbeths, 'Evil Tony' desperately tries to hide the evidence.

A remarkably accurate picture - notice how even in a situation of extreme trauma / emergency OCD tendencies focus concentration on the matrix numbers of the vinyl. Now one of these has to be a UK 1st pressing, surely.... Oooh look, a 'Porky' inscription and A1/B1 matrixes... Result!

Tony.

A rather boring response to the original question...
It may be that Tony tired of his Tannoys because they displayed the typically mid-rangy, non-linear response of high-efficiency speakers, but was unwilling to change his underpowered valve amps for something more suitable with the flatter* Harbeths, even in the face of evidence that the Harbs could do the job.

*though still far from flat, apparently.

Harbeth were unavailable for comment, but our investigator managed to get this shot of the "person" delivering Tony's new speakers...

article-0-021BD0AC00000578-828_468x330.jpg

Joking apart, WTF is going on in that photo?

Woman has topped herself. Bloke is checking to see if there are any heavy metal records that she might have been playing backwards.

or

Woman is in a deep coma. Bloke is checking to confirm his suspicions that she has been listening to five Grateful Dead albums in succession.

I'd say they're both trippin on acid and trying to listen to the records by placing them on pulse points on her bod ... guess where the one in his hands is going next!

It all started here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89117

Look at Tony's first post, I blame Elephantears. Longtime member Ross also fell victim as well.

I wondered if this was coming. Perhaps you can offer me up as a sacrificial victim for a ritual purging of the community.

The Harbeths ARE as good as everybody says they are - I'm convinced of that - but they are a lot more demanding about the room you put them in than Alan Shaw says they are. They are not easy to integrate in a British Victorian living room, unless that room is a dedicated listening room with not much else in it. Look at Basil's room, for example, or Ryder's dedicated and treated room in Malaysia. It's not impossible.

If you look at my original post, I am very very specific about a) the music I used for the test, b) the partnering equipment, and c) the conditions, height of stands etc. So many evaluative posts on here don't give musical examples. I did note that I was concerned about their limits with rock music, for example. I also said that a home demo was required, and when I did this I was frankly boring myself with the details I gave about my difficulties in integrating the Harbeths in my room.

Finally, the Harbeth's don't do everything superbly - and the lack of tight and fast bass is their biggest limitation. Hence the compelling saga of Tony's return to the Tannoy's, which I very much hope will be successful soon. Saying this, I think the Harbeth bass issue isn't so simple - I've heard such massive variations in different rooms now that its an open question for me.

It all started here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=89117

Look at Tony's first post, I blame Elephantears. Longtime member Ross also fell victim as well.

Just to nail this one down very, very firmly, I may be an idiot but all decisions are entirely my own - there is no way I'd ever try and deflect blame onto anyone else here! It is worth remembering I lived very happily with C7s for many years, i.e. I knew the Harbeth sound and priority set better than most. The only thing I didn't know was the extent to which I had got used to / was happy with the Tannoys. I have therefore learnt something. I also exchanged many PMs with Elephantears which proved very useful.

Now, please, someone buy the Harbeths and allow me to move on!

Tony.

what.jpg

Surely that must be the 'Evil Tony', look how he's handling that record.:eek:

advertisement

Back