advertisement

EXACTLY why did Tony sell his Tannoys?

continuing with the rather boring response...
we search for 'flat' speakers, but really all speakers have character, so its a case of finding a character we're willing to call a friend.
Indeed. And all speakers interact with their surroundings in different and often unpredictable ways. And of course recordings themselves are even more all over the place than the playback equipment. It's a mess. The best thing you can do is find a setup you can live with, and then live with it.

Indeed. And all speakers interact with their surroundings in different and often unpredictable ways. And of course recordings themselves are even more all over the place than the playback equipment. It's a mess. The best thing you can do is find a setup you can live with, and then live with it.

Spot, bloody on!

alien-midway.jpg

Since starting this investigation I have been visited by a sunflower seed eating FBI agent, a woman I recognise from somewhere - I think she was in Ghostbusters, and the gentleman pictured above. He said he was trying to sell me double glazing, but there was something about him that didn't seem quite right.

Absolutely. He seemed genuinely interested in answering my questions, showed empathy and agreed that he couldn't help me. It was obviously a set up.

Joel Hi, have you ever tried active room correction At all?
Keith.

Keith,

I've wanted to try Manley's massive passive equalizer for some time, but I'm worried that after spending more than $6k on one and fiddling with the dials for days I'll find the flat position best.

man_ssmst_hq.jpg

Joe

Keith,

I've wanted to try Manley's massive passive equalizer for some time, but I'm worried that after spending more than $6k on one and fiddling with the dials for days I'll find the flat position best.

man_ssmst_hq.jpg

Joe

But will it crack Warp 9.975?

Modern room optimisers are a lot more sophisticated than an equaliser, as well as frequency response , you can alter phase and group delay, you can even remap the position of your speakers, and they are completely transparent!
Keith.

R in my room I had a big bass suck out, the Trinnov replaces that and cuts the accompanying peak which was causing some resonance, every element of the sound is improved, I can push the speakers back to the wall, it is a neat bit of kit.
Keith.

Joel Hi, have you ever tried active room correction At all?
Keith.
Yes. And they work quite well, though not quite as well, perhaps, as some of the people who make and sell them would have us believe.
What will probably be my next speakers have drc built in (the room correction software is on a PC, but the settings are stored in each speaker).

Room correction appears to be a 21st century term for a graphic equalizer.....
Nothing wrong with that. EQ works, and is used extensively. Every time you move your speakers you're playing with EQ. Every time you play a record, your phono stage is applying some fairly radical eq to the signal.

The trick is to apply just enough eq to get a specific job done, not to fiddle around trying to get everything "perfect".

Joel Hi, which speakers might those been then? Here the 'optimiser' box has made a far more significant improvement than any other piece of equipment since I got the horns.
Regards Keith.

I was given a demo of the biggish newish Genelecs a while back, which was very impressive. They're good, well-designed speakers to start with. Helped a friend set up his KRKs with the little room optimizer thing they make, which had some effect. It's totally automatic and operates in the LF only.
The Genelec system is far and away the most impressive I've heard to date. It's optimized for each speaker, and control can be as automated or as manual as you want it to be. You can know exactly what it's doing all the time.

Sounds good , I heard some Tact stuff a few years back ,it improved imaging but killed the sound a little, the Trinnov I have been experimenting with doesn't seem to , I really believe these boxes are the future.
Keith.

DSP and FPGA aren't the future, they're here, now. Just not in the systems of most home audio people. I've not liked TACT either. It's quite aggressive in what it does, and I didn't much care for the result. Apparently it's perfection. I'll stick with the imperfect that I can actually listen to.
Anyway, we're veering far off-topic, since the problems Tony had with the Prima Luna and the SH5s are the kind you can't really EQ. And in any case he chose to keep his lowish powered and therefore slightly EQ unfriendly amp over the Harbeths.

I was given a demo of the biggish newish Genelecs a while back, which was very impressive. They're good, well-designed speakers to start with. Helped a friend set up his KRKs with the little room optimizer thing they make, which had some effect. It's totally automatic and operates in the LF only.

Must be the KRK ERgo.
ergo.jpg

A friend recently switched over from Transporter into a Meridian active system to all KRK system using the little device.

For as little as 350$ USD, it might be an interesting experiment for some.

advertisement

Back