advertisement

Epos ES14 (MK1) equal or better out there?

Must be Christmas or something.

Monsieur Ellwood was making some good sense earlier in the tread (all the trashing of ES14s) but now seems to have gone off the rails somewhat with the recent revelations of Hiquphon OW1s being a bit dodgy.

Still, for a Epos 14 thread it's all going quite smoothly so far.......

Mr Tibbs

It's actually quite a funny thread.

To the casual reader of this thread, ES14s are boomy and bloated, thin and lacking bass, easily integrated into the room, difficult to position, very transparent, suffer from plastic cone coloration, have a smooth tweeter, have a shitty gritty tweeter, sound very coherent, often sound disjointed and sometimes sound rather like a Celestion SL6.

Very informative (not) :)

I prefer my CAOW1s running 3-way versus 401s and (distant memory) ES14

I have OW1's and CA15RLY's gathering dust in the workshop, maybe I'd better get a into g and build these.

What do you use underneath the CAOW1?

Graeme

I can recommend the Shahinian Super Elves (Elf) if your room isn't too huge. "Norman Green" and "AlexS" variously of this parish also rate them very highly. In my small'ish listening room they were as good (if not better) than the Arcs that preceded them! Great integration and cohesiveness - with a surprising drum thwack when you need it.

Regards

Rana

Do the 14s need a sub?

Is the OP any closer to his question?

Poped in some Saras today, enchanting...........

So in summary:
sq has had ES14s and moved to Focals (happily it seems)
Flat and graeme h love their ES14s
Tibbsy has had both and much prefers his 401s
david ellwood has some "interesting" opinions
I prefer my CAOW1s running 3-way versus 401s and (distant memory) ES14s
James likes his own creations

Seems we're all happy!

I bought my 14's in 1988 and am still delighted with them, so I'm Spartacus too . . .

And a REL Stadium if i really want to piss off the neighbours.

Cheers, H.

If you want full range then they need a sub, there's an awful lot of Pink Floyd doesn't come out of the midbass on an es14

Graeme

I can recommend the Shahinian Super Elves (Elf) if your room isn't too huge. "Norman Green" and "AlexS" variously of this parish also rate them very highly. In my small'ish listening room they were as good (if not better) than the Arcs that preceded them! Great integration and cohesiveness - with a surprising drum thwack when you need it.

Regards

Rana

Thanks! G.

I'll also check Epos's new 'Elan' range when it fully appears.

It's actually quite a funny thread.

To the casual reader of this thread, ES14s are boomy and bloated, thin and lacking bass, easily integrated into the room, difficult to position, very transparent, suffer from plastic cone coloration, have a smooth tweeter, have a shitty gritty tweeter, sound very coherent, often sound disjointed and sometimes sound rather like a Celestion SL6.

All of which proves that the ES14 is truly a speaker for all seasons. There’s pleasure and displeasure in equal measure. How could any design be more balanced than that?

I have OW1's and CA15RLY's gathering dust in the workshop, maybe I'd better get a into g and build these.

What do you use underneath the CAOW1?

They are very good as a 2-way but going 3-way is a revelation (reduction of intemodulation and getting rid of ported bass).

The stereo LF system I use is unique. It was designed by a friend after many years research therefore I'm not at liberty to provide any technical details. The result is a system that has essentially flat response <20Hz to >120Hz with excellent time domain behaviour. Assuming all goes to plan, we will demo it at the Scalford Show (unfortunately Rusty I thnk you are in the US, so this is no use to you).
I am hoping to try the LF system with a pair of ESL57QAs this evening.

Mine are serial number circa 2000. Anyone able to pinpoint year of manufacture.....I'm guessing a fairly early pair?

Playing Forcioni Live at the moment and they are putting the guitar and space around it right inside my head. It's like listening through really good headphones! G

Playing Forcioni Live at the moment and they are putting the guitar and space around it right inside my head. It's like listening through really good headphones! G

Yes unforunately the bland pass filter in the ES14s that allows a bit of Floyd through does not restrict Forcioni.:)

Yes unforunately the bland pass filter in the ES14s that allows a bit of Floyd through does not restrict Forcioni.:)

Little known fact about Forcioni - he gets very car sick if he sits in the back.

I saw him play live once, but I was there primarily to see Colin Reid who was gigging along with the guitar slapper for a while. Entertaining enough for an hour or two (though I'd had a few Guinness I must admit).

Oh - I should say that 401s do guitar (plugged/unplugged) about a million times better than ES14s could ever hope to ;-)

Mr Tibbs

All of which proves that the ES14 is truly a speaker for all seasons. There’s pleasure and displeasure in equal measure. How could any design be more balanced than that?
I think both Linn Kan and Sara elicit a wider continuum of displeasure to pleasure. The ES14 is a pussy cat in comparison.

advertisement

Back