1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Epos ES14 (MK1) equal or better out there?

Discussion in 'audio' started by graeme h, Dec 17, 2011.

1. graeme h

graeme h pfm Member

I'm sure it exists.....incase my drive units give up I'd like to know their is something out there circa £2k and stand mount preferred.

Thoughts?

G

2. Gaius

Gaius Trade: Stiletto by Tangerine

Well as you know I changed mine for Revel M22, a very fine American stand mount that retail around £2K.

3. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

Not heard anything that will replace them yet!

(although I have MKIIs)

4. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Neat MFS are getting older now so 2K ish may get closer SH soon.

5. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

It depends what your priorities are - the benefits of source and amp upgrades will be easily revealed by your speakers as it is.

6. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Any of the stand mounts from Ref3A direct wired midbass no crossover. Ace sound.

7. Mignun

Mignun pfm Member

Have a late pair with stands - still enjoy them very much but now in a second system. Main system uses Naim SL2s, so that may give you a clue...

8. graeme h

graeme h pfm Member

.....err, but if the drivers give up I'd be looking for a modern equivalent, that was the question. G

9. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

No other speaker manages to be as uniquely terrible as the ES14.

If it were a little girl it would have a little curl.

(I might change my moniker to exES14ie.)

10. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

What is it about them that makes you say this?

11. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

When they are good they are very very good but........

Do you know the rest?

Cheers,

DV

12. graeme h

graeme h pfm Member

OK, Which modern loudspeaker circa £2K has all the uniquely terrible characteristics of the esteemed ES14 MK1 as I'd be perfectly happy to own them. G

13. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

I've only ever heard ellwood pour scorn and bile on eveything; would be interesting to hear some more positive suggestions on this thread. I don't know ES14's well enought to make them.

14. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

A unique comination of being deaf as a post and bitter that he has to listen to the painfully opaque Briks :)

You could get a pair of David's beloved wardrobes for well under budget, but then you would have to spend spend thousands on amplification and active cross-overs to make them sound half way acceptable....it's a lot of effort to get half way.

If the ES14 had a Linn badge on it David would be falling over himself telling us how amazing they were and sharing 'insider' insights...

Well, you would indeed be stuffed unfortunately. When one of my MK2 bass drivers gave up I auditioned quite a lot of speakers at 2K and didn't find anything I could live with. In the end I bought a second pair of ES14's and used them for spares (harder to find Mk1's though). They sound so uniquely terrible that two friends felt compelled to also buy a pair.....;)

15. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

acoustic energy AE1 is a speaker that I feel offers everything the ES14 does and more.

how much are they (cant be over £2k?)

or maybe some nice second hand (but current) b&w's

or maybe some old SBL's?

as mark says isobariks end up costing lots.

16. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

The midband on the Ae1 doesn't come close and the bass is tighter but not as deep.

17. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Once they pass away, my ES30 and ES14 will probably both be replaced by Dynaudio speakers.

A friend of mine owns a professional recording studio and uses Dynaudio as main speakers, all setup by people who know a fair bit more about music reproduction than most HiFi guys, of which many are crooks. The absolutely most awesome sound quality heard anywhere, except maybe the Berlin Philharmonic at the Philharmonie.

18. Robert

Robert Tapehead

I think the stand out quality off the ES14 is the hear-through mid and excellent sense of coherence.
    That also happens to be the one area where many loudspeaker monumentally fall down, so this alone puts the ES14 on the map with very few others as being timeless.

many of the classic larger BBC designs share that property, though the overall balance is a little gentler and more distant.
    Perhaps look at a late pair of Spendor SP1s or even the new Stirling LS3/6 though that is a little over budget. Designed by Derek Hughes so likely very good.

19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron You're home early...

It's so long since I heard ES14 s I cant remember what they sounded like. What's the nearest equivalent today, character wise?
    BTW how much are the new Strelings?

20. graeme h

graeme h pfm Member

Hmmmm......I've had AE1 mk2's in the past and they are fairly good but a little congested in the middle compared to the 14's. The newer mk3 AE1 has had a horrible 'art-deco' make-over which I just could not live with.....sprayed silver bleurgh!

So, no contenders then?.......G