advertisement

Epos ES14 (MK1) equal or better out there?

No one has suggested anything yet for circa £2k new.

I'd take Audio Note AZ1, Harbeth Compact 7s (despite having a slight reservation about the crossover region (I have with the ES14 too)), Klipsch Heresy IIIs and ProAc D1s for sure (my choice would be the Klipsch or Audio Note, though I hate the vinyl wrap finish on the latter). I'm certain there are some Spendors I'd have at that price too, I just can't remember which are in range, and I'd want to hear some recent Neats at that price point too, i.e. I can think of plenty! I'm not slagging the ES14 though, they are a damn good speaker even though I'm no fan of metal dome tweeters. I'd like to hear a pair driven with tubes one day.

Well, I bought some 'expensive' 'speakers a year ago and, for various reasons, sold them to put cash into a pressing domestic project thinking I could 'slum it' with some old ES14's temporarily.......but......As I say I'm very pleased. My only concern is knowing that out there there is a modern alternative as good or better for sensible money should the drivers go.

No one has suggested anything yet for circa £2k new. A few £4k recommendations and £5k comparisons. I should also say DIY is not my thing...!

Sound of dead horse being well flogged..........Merry Christmas! G

Well, 'expensive' is obviously no absolute guarantee of suitability to your requirements. I really only meant that the suitable speaker will most likely be expensive. You need to listen to as many different speakers as possible and start to narrow down the possibilities yourself - it can't be done by proxy!

Mr Tibbs

The thing is a minty pair of ES14's cost no more than £300- that's stellar value any way you look at it. Those making proclamations about how well they Interegrate with a su. Should may e listen to those who have lived with such a set up for several years and had the opportunity to use them back to back with reference floorstander designs from other brands. If you can place them to get the bass right, which isn't an easy task, they are still unbeatable for anywhere near the mOney.

You are right. I've had TB2, FB1 and AB2 and always thought they lacked snap and bounce....a bit slowwww. Maybe they need muscle amps to really get them going. The FB1 did not produce as good a bass as im getting now and the alu dome not well integrated.

Newer models may be better of course. G

Note I didn't mention any of those for the reason you found as well.... For me the B range doesn't do it. The FACT8 is a completely different sounding and voiced speaker, and the new 20 series is in that mould. More crips and open, with clean and detailed mid.

Another suggestion, Kudos speakers, will have ES14 licked easily ;)

Not an answer to the question asked, I’ll grant, but I’d spend my £2k on some used JBL Array 1500s rather than trying to buy new. John Bamford’s review said something like “to hear them is to want them” and that’s exactly what happened to me. Shame that I don't have £2k.

Who said the midrange is 200Hz - 2kHz and why?
If the range of human hearing is notionally 20Hz - 20kHz, it's convenient to consider the lowest three and a bit octaves as bass, the middle three and a bit octaves midrange, and the last three and a bit octaves as treble. It's all arbitrary, of course.

I think the upper crossing may be much more critical the the lower and therefore better placed an octave higher than 2kHz. The ear is very sensitive to what's happening at 2kHz and there is a wealth of musical information around that point.
I agree that peaks and dips in the presence band will be easily heard, but I contend that phase alignment between the woofer and mid is equally important. This is one fundamental reason why tack-on subwoofer systems rarely produce an integrated result.

Quincy and I will be partaking of a Guinness or three, spinning a few tunes and no doubt reminiscing old times at some point over the break!
Indeed it is a time for family and close friends. I still have that bottle of Bushmill you gave me. I'll have a nip in the E-III shotglass tonight!

James

A well-integrated crossover at any frequency will sound better than a poorly executed crossover at some idealized perfect crossover frequency. I think these rules like "no crossovers in the crucial midband" or "no crossovers in the presence range" are rubbish. What matters is that the crossover fits the response, directivity, power handling and phase of the drivers being used.

advertisement

Back