advertisement

Epos ES14 (MK1) equal or better out there?

They are very good as a 2-way but going 3-way is a revelation (reduction of intemodulation and getting rid of ported bass).
I still think a good two-way system trumps a three-way for coherence. In that department, my little E-IX is better than the mighty full-range E-X.

(unfortunately Rusty I thnk you are in the US, so this is no use to you)
Rusty's in NZ, and is more than capable of designing his own LF system. I think he's curious about the (sub)woofer driver that you use in your system.

James

Would those still using and supporting the ES14 also happen to be using Naim amps ?

No I only use Leak TL12.1(KT66 versions) or Electrocompaiet 25 watt class A.

A Linn Intek is used for my own sanity and safety when the missus wants to play her music.:D

Would those still using and supporting the ES14 also happen to be using Naim amps ?

62/HiCap(modded)/250

All recently serviced by Mark a.k.a. WitchHatAudio of this parish.

:rolleyes::cool::eek:

ps and a pair of ex-BBC TL25 Leak monoblocks when it dips below freezing outside . . .

Yes from me. The 14's on the end of a 300 is quite a combination and, I think, a good split of the overall budget. G

That's like putting a Porsche engine in a Morris Minor - good for bragging about but a big waste of resources. A 250 is only marginally better at driving them than a 110, they are such an easy load.

Mr Tibbs

Been there Mr Tibbs. I hear what I hear. Not interested in 'bragging'.......why would I with such apparently 'uniquely terrible' speakers? G

That's like putting a Porsche engine in a Morris Minor - good for bragging about but a big waste of resources. A 250 is only marginally better at driving them than a 110, they are such an easy load.

Mr Tibbs

disagree

BTW what'e wrong with a Morris Minor GTI turbo . . .

Been there Mr Tibbs. I hear what I hear. Not interested in 'bragging'.......why would I with such apparently 'uniquely terrible' speakers? G

I'm not claiming there's nothing to be gained by using better amplification - just that the gains are tiny compared to what could be achieved by changing to a better loudspeaker. The compromises of the ES14 are just too severe in the context of very expensive upstream kit (like a NAP300 for example). What's the rest of your system?

Mr Tibbs

Graeme, with your amps you owe it to yourself to hear the Neat MFS Ultimatum. It is a stand-mount about the same size as the 14 and the speaker I see as the successor. (but can't afford)

Not wishing to be drawn in on this but your point is, in a way, my original question to which I've not had an exactly exhaustive list of alternatives 'equal or better'. G

I'm not claiming there's nothing to be gained by using better amplification - just that the gains are tiny compared to what could be achieved by changing to a better loudspeaker. The compromises of the ES14 are just too severe in the context of very expensive upstream kit (like a NAP300 for example). What's the rest of your system?

Mr Tibbs

Really, I heard them out of a pair of 135's just last week and they sounded stellar. Strangely enough they always have at Mark's so much so I bought my own and kept them until change of house precluded the use of a sub.

Really, I heard them out of a pair of 135's just last week and they sounded stellar. Strangely enough they always have at Mark's so much so I bought my own and kept them until change of house precluded the use of a sub.

I kept the house & shipped the 2nd ex wife out . . .

Seemed a bright idea at the time.

Cheers, H.

Graeme, with your amps you owe it to yourself to hear the Neat MFS Ultimatum. It is a stand-mount about the same size as the 14 and the speaker I see as the successor. (but can't afford)

Thank you! £4k.......ouch. Had little Mystiques many years back and they were great I remember. G

Mr Tibbs

ZAP250 to 135s proved a massive improvement driving 14s.

I still think a good two-way system trumps a three-way for coherence. In that department, my little E-IX is better than the mighty full-range E-X.

Rusty's in NZ, and is more than capable of designing his own LF system. I think he's curious about the (sub)woofer driver that you use in your system.

James

Firstly apologies to Rusty. Thank goodness I did not actually accuse him of being American :)

Secondly, James, yes I used to agree but I have recently changed some of my long held beliefs. One of these is that opamps are nasty. Last night we compared my preamp/active XO to an EAR preamp - not a lot in it to be honest and easily outweighed by the benefit of going active 3-way for both the CAOW1s and the ESL57QA.
For the LF system (I won't insult it by calling it a sub) it's not conventional and its performance has little to do with the actual driver(s) used, other than sufficient cone area is needed to move enough air.

No I only use Leak TL12.1(KT66 versions) or Electrocompaiet 25 watt class A.

A Linn Intek is used for my own sanity and safety when the missus wants to play her music.:D

Funnily enough the owner of the ESLs has an old EC 25W amp, gave it a try versus 509 Anniversarys, KT88PP and my own mosfet amps.
IMO, best to worst:
KT88
EC
my mosfet amps :(

The EC was excellent other than a rather weak bass (even though it did not have to do anything at LF) and a lack of dynamics. I reckon the 29 year old EC is due a recap though.

advertisement

Back