advertisement

Best POP song ever.

But this is surely a light-hearted 'in my opinion ...' discussion, which can only really hinge on people's individual taste/experience. There's no external, unbiased judge of what is 'the best pop song ever' (which is clearly Waterloo Sunset).

Well of course you are correct, both about the subjective nature of the discussion, and Waterloo Sunset.. which is obviously one of the top ten best ever pop songs.

But without people like me.. selflessly injecting a note of controversy.. and even minor animosity.. the thread is no more than a list.. Lets face it.. even a cable thread would be more interesting than a list.. :D

I don't think any performer(s) has ever amassed as great a collection of near perfect pop songs as Abba. Not even the Beatles can match them. In the 70s I thought they were irritatingly lightweight and uncool - these days I'm much less snobby.

How DARE you?

Subterraneans - My Flamingo.

is today's answer.

Most day's I'd agree with Waterloo Sunset...

Last edited by a moderator:
I always liked Abba. Unfortunately, any collection of their Greatest Hits seems to include a) the Godawful 'I Have A Dream', and b) at least one where the blokes take centre-stage and 'rock out'.

Not to mention 'Chicken Tikka', another blot on their catalogue. If you try to hum it it turns into 'I Have a Dream' or 'Fernando.'

In another Universe, this is not a love song was called this is not a pop song and wins the best pop song ever by the power of irony.

Hi,

How about this banger by Smokey Robinson & the Miracles.

Catchy, uptempo, a good dancer and great lyrics.

Sounds like a happy song but it's the opposite.

Dean

I don't think any performer(s) has ever amassed as great a collection of near perfect pop songs as Abba. Not even the Beatles can match them. In the 70s I thought they were irritatingly lightweight and uncool - these days I'm much less snobby.

Listening to his audio-book this afternoon, I was reminded that Alan Partridge named his first born, Fernando. Such an endorsement by the Norfolk Nabokov, has made me reconsider my position, and I now think you are undoubtedly correct.

Any thoughts that:

The Supremes
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
The Temptations
The Isley Brothers
Sly Stone
Frank Sinatra
Randy Newman
Laura Nyro
The Shangri-Las
The Association
Carole King
Hank Williams
The Beach Boys
The Monkees
Credence Clearwater

have made a greater individual contribution to the art of the pop song are forever banished. I've just tried dancing to "Dancing Queen" and I don't think it can be done.

Great Pop Music should still send shivers up yer spine.

I still get it. Every time.

Can't believe we've got this far without this lot getting a mention..

advertisement

Back