advertisement

Best POP song ever.

Not my favourite, but Kylie's "can't get you out of my head" takes a lot of beating as a formula for the perfect pop single. Teenage kicks is more my flavour though.

My personal preference is for Il cielo in una stanza by Mina.

However, the reality is that the Montones' Book of Love is just about 100% perfect.

The Las - There She Goes gets my vote. I can't be objective about this, like most things when thinking about music.

It caught me at a time when music was more important than anything. I was 20, in a band. It had the hook, the chorus that was the verse or was it, it was really short, it was timeless and effortless. I was gutted that none of the songs in my band were anything like it.

Some good suggestions there.

The Beatles were good, albeit for a very short time and as such She Loves you is a worthy nomination along with the Buzzcocks Ever Fallen in Love and you couldn't possibly miss the Kinks off such a list, All day and all of the night, you really got me, Sunny afternoon etc.

I think Cathy Dennis wrote it, she also did quite a few other well known pop songs.

Of course. Madame, as I refer to her.
imsmc Kylie admitted she is a massive fan of BM, and specifically was influenced by the drums/beat.

Donna Summer - I Feel Love. It changed the world.

Africa Bambaattaa & Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock. Ok relies on Kraftwerk but taken to another level.

Recent times; Rhianna - Work. Not a popular choice here I suspect, but great pop tune that qualifies partly because of the generational vitriol it inspires.

Agree with Pretty Vacant. Above all other Pistols tunes.

Reggae has a weak pop chart presence but Junior Murvin - Police & Thieves got there.

Four very strong contenders.
On second thoughts I'm going to be a fickle teenager (in my dreams) and switch vote to Anarchy In The UK.

OK gassor :-D

Anarchy is great, maybe not in the top 3 but Still it is excellent. Btw the intro riff to Anarchy is an Abba rip-off from SOS if you listen carefully. Abba didn't develop in a vacuum and 'so it goes'*.

Great question, I think I heard recently it was this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pop needs to be immensely catchy, alienating to the older generation, and to perfectly define the zeitgeist of the time. As such I nominate Anarchy In The UK by the Sex Pistols as the greatest pop record of my lifetime. Honourable mentions to Jimi Hendrix Purple Haze, FGTH Relax and Ghost Town by The specials.

No on several levels Tony.

The word is 'Pop' which is a reduction of 'popular'. In that sense it should not be completely alienating of the older generation. My Mum and even my Dad grudgingly liked the Beatles, Stones and many others at the ime. Those you mention were not in the running in 'pop' terms.

advertisement

Back