advertisement

Best POP song ever.

Not very knowledgeable in this pop/rock business, but I confess a weakness for this jaunty little number:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oasis - Wonderwall wasn't a bad pop record IMO can normally get people of all ages sining along.

Reggae has a weak pop chart presence but Junior Murvin - Police & Thieves got there.
I think a certain Bob Marley had a few cracking pop hits 'Buffalo Soldier', 'Is This love' to name two and the late 60's charts had many great early Reggae/SKA/Rocksteady hits.

Todays choice (and probably Saturdays end of nighter at the Merchants Tavern) :

Last edited by a moderator:
Impossible. There at least 10 a year from 62 to the mid eighties that were great, so that's 200 odd min.
The greatest pop band in the world ever is tough enough...early beach boys, early beatles or Abba I guess so, one from each 'surfin safari', 'She loves you' and 'Waterloo'?

As you said, Rockmeister. Just now I happen to listen to 'Summer Wine' with N Sinatra and L Hazelwood, so that will be my vote.

Next hour I will say 'Man of.... Hmm, or 'Summer in.... or...

pop went from good to commercial crap.
IMO OFC :)
Pop = popular = commercial. As we get older, it just becomes more unknowable, more unlistenable, more alien.

Talking of alien, my (bemused/wtf) reaction these days to catching thirty seconds of Nicki Minaj is surely the same as my parents' reaction to the first pop songs I remember loving on TOTP (Baggy Trousers, Stand and Deliver, etc), isn't it? As it should be.

(Don't open the link unless you want to fall down a rabbit hole to another dimension, obvs.)

advertisement

Back