advertisement

AVI's new floorstanders and subs or three way in two boxes (part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I haven't heard the adms at all.

I now have a new pair of Adams and they are indeed superior to the Trios even with the AVI power amp.

The Trios are a superb loudspeaker, huge range, feisty when the music is and relaxed when required. They also have a massive soundstage and ellicit detail superbly.

If I hadn't heard of active speakers the Trios would never have left my living room.

However there is an altogether accurate and total control element to the Adams that makes them do all the stuff the Trios can but with even more authority ( and more cheaply ).

I will not go back to passive speakers again.

Well Arthur that tells you something, i think you've had a lucky escape, lol.
The ADAM classic are 35 Hz - 50 kHz.

If one of the most enthusiastic owners of the ADM9.1s says that all the Radiohead albums are "virtually unlistenable" or that "Steely Dan's Gaucho has no bass" or the bass with the sub "can sound a bit distant" that points to the speaker in question having an interesting balance.

Fair to say Radiohead albums can be a bit of an uphill to unfathom though. Amnesia and Kid A were worth it though.

Grills on a floorstander?

jensen_speaker_art_deco_(1).jpg

http://www.modernism.com/jensen+american+art+deco+imperial+reproducer+speaker/#!prettyPhoto[Jensen American Art Deco Imperial Reproducer Speaker]/3/

Tone controls can be used to wind down brightness

Just like the off button. If it sounds bright there is something wrong. Turning it down makes it sound more acceptably wrong but still wrong.

My mother probably has some spare floral-patterned throws that you could cover your speakers with if their physical presence offends aesthetic sensibilities.

My downstairs speakers sound the same with grilles on or off (as the manufacturer states) and my upstairs speakers have grilles that are designed to stay in place. Who wants to look at drive units anyway?

My downstairs speakers sound the same with grilles on or off (as the manufacturer states) and my upstairs speakers have grilles that are designed to stay in place. Who wants to look at drive units anyway?

In their intended environment The last thing you look at is the drivers. Most of the time you're eyeballng some form of level meter or screen. They could be two tone pink and no one would really notice.

Are they the red scm100asl's?
I remember seeing those before. I like them :D

In happy times, I started off with RED LACQUER SCM20's with black grilles. These were upgraded to these black lacquer 100A's in March 1993, supplied with the then brand new revised amps, stock black grilles and these red grilles were made extra. The stands were custom made by Target, then in Luton where I lived at the time, adding a couple of inches to the height. They may not be the clearest of speakers (unless turned well up in pre-SL period), but they involved and entertained so well..

My current mostly inherited geriatric system from the mid 70's does good things in terms of 3-D and low level delicacy the big pre "SL" ATC's at the time couldn't do at low volumes (oh alright Ashley, it's the poor phase response of the BC2 driver plus crossover, but I don't care at the moment), but I fully appreciate Fox's excitement about his insurance purchase, as I'd have my 100A's (now SL bass unit spec) back tomorrow.

I'm sure that good speaker designers are fully aware of the issues in successful driver integration, and I remember it said decades ago that getting a two way speaker to work properly was bad enough and extremely difficult with a three way, but that's where the ART comes in, juggling the compromises around to get the most listenable sound possible. I believe that's how the old classic amps from the 50's and 60's were designed, and it hasn't done them any harm fifty plus years later, has it? I'd add that going active these days is much easier for an electronics engineer to do, since the crossover design is well into his/her discipline, where fine tuning an established "technically correct" design needs subtle listening and experience of the subjective "feel" of a design.

Blzebub likes huge black erections. Internets fact. Immense fun and they can jiggle!

In happy times, I started off with RED LACQUER SCM20's with black grilles. These were upgraded to these black lacquer 100A's in March 1993, supplied with the then brand new revised amps, stock black grilles and these red grilles were made extra. The stands were custom made by Target, then in Luton where I lived at the time, adding a couple of inches to the height. They may not be the clearest of speakers (unless turned well up in pre-SL period), but they involved and entertained so well..

My current mostly inherited geriatric system from the mid 70's does good things in terms of 3-D and low level delicacy the big pre "SL" ATC's at the time couldn't do at low volumes (oh alright Ashley, it's the poor phase response of the BC2 driver plus crossover, but I don't care at the moment), but I fully appreciate Fox's excitement about his insurance purchase, as I'd have my 100A's (now SL bass unit spec) back tomorrow.

I'm sure that good speaker designers are fully aware of the issues in successful driver integration, and I remember it said decades ago that getting a two way speaker to work properly was bad enough and extremely difficult with a three way, but that's where the ART comes in, juggling the compromises around to get the most listenable sound possible. I believe that's how the old classic amps from the 50's and 60's were designed, and it hasn't done them any harm fifty plus years later, has it? I'd add that going active these days is much easier for an electronics engineer to do, since the crossover design is well into his/her discipline, where fine tuning an established "technically correct" design needs subtle listening and experience of the subjective "feel" of a design.

It sounds like you need to get yourself a pair of 100's again :D

Looks like a Mana gangbang. :)

bub, If you ever feel the need to have some bespoke stands made let me know, I'd like to design some for you. I've just put some into production for my SCM 25A pros. IMO they look cool, like Bauhaus Kool, Classic elegant and timeless. Will post some 3D renders up later.

PS, you need to dust!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back