advertisement

Any Palmer turntable owners on PFM?

I now have 250ml of the aforementioned oil. Free sample to Palmer owners, if you send me a small watertight plastic bottle in a self addressed and stamped jiffy bag. PM me if interested.

Hi John, just got the nod from Paul about this thread, I would welcome a new belt for my 2.5 and perhaps some bearing oil. Such a shame Jon has stopped making these beautiful machines, let's hope he gets his personal problems sorted

Hello!. I'm still waiting for the lazy so and so to send me the belts! As soon as he does (you reading this JP?) then one is for you!
Bearing oil is free if you send me a stamped addressed jiffy bag and tiny well sealed bottle. Wait till I get the belts and a price, then send me a cheque or cash with said bag and you'll get both oil and belt by return.
If I don't hear anything soon I'll get in with JP touch again.

update...belts are here, £15.00 each. However if you want a belt (there are 8 so I'd better limit it to one per person for now if that's ok) and some bearing oil, now's the time to find a small secure bottle and a jiffy bag! PM me for the address. Deal is, FREE oil if you send a bottle and a S.A.Jiffy Bag and buy a belt at the same time.. If you want a belt only, I'm trusting Royal Mail in a stengthened envelope. £15 gets you the postage as well.
Belts are the newer silicone, black jobbies.
Either way I'll need a cheque in the SAJiffy bag pack, or via normal post if belt only, and will clear it before I post out to you (forgive the suspicion, but I don't know all of you, sorry but...).
Please, no cash in envelopes.
Thanks
John.

I have a Palmer 2.5-12 with an AMG 12J2 arm. I believe I am the only Palmer owner in New Zealand. I purchased it in late 2014 and exchanged some great emails with Jon Palmer at the time, so I'm sorry to learn that he has retreated from view. In early 2015 Jon emailed a newsletter, possibly the only one he ever sent. In it he talked about a new magnetic bearing, so I persuaded him to sell me one and I installed it with the help of a local technician. Has anyone else had any experience with this magnetic bearing? And if so, did you compare it with his standard 'conventional bearing? I know Jon had some trouble making it and I never heard about it again. I suspect he went back to the bearing he was using previously.

In early 2015 Jon emailed a newsletter, possibly the only one he ever sent. In it he talked about a new magnetic bearing, so I persuaded him to sell me one and I installed it with the help of a local technician. Has anyone else had any experience with this magnetic bearing?

That's very interesting. I never heard that Jon had managed to get the magnetic bearing to work as well as he wanted it to. I remember Jon telling me about it when he was setting up my 2.5 for me.

I remember Jon talked about overcoming the difficulty of changes in height of the platter due to small differences in the magnetic flux density as the bearing rotated.

I'd be very interested in seeing some more detail of your bearing, do you have any pictures of the assembly process?

I remember Jon talked about overcoming the difficulty of changes in height of the platter due to small differences in the magnetic flux density as the bearing rotated. I'd be very interested in seeing some more detail of your bearing, do you have any pictures of the assembly process?

Thanks for your reply - that makes sense. Here's my story. After I installed the magnetic bearing, my Palmer sounded fine for the next 2 years until I upgraded my phonostage. The new phonostage has a wider bandwidth, and I now heard a faint low frequency noise (like a faint heartbeat) occurring once per revolution. So I pulled the magnetic bearing apart to investigate. It's design appears to be quite simple - 2 thin upper, washer-shaped magnets, repelling against a thicker washer-shaped magnet further down the spindle. I discovered a small fixable issue, but then I broke one of the smaller magnets (I won't go into details but my language was colourful). I've since reached out to possible contacts in the US and here on Pink Fish. It seems I am the only one, so far, who has seen this bearing. I remember it took John 2-3 attempts to make it at the time. It seems likely that it needed more development. Luckily, I still have the original bearing (it has never been used). So I will install that and see how it goes.

. It's design appears to be quite simple - 2 thin upper, washer-shaped magnets, repelling against a thicker washer-shaped magnet further down the spindle. I discovered a small fixable issue,

So, what was the small fixable issue?

I still have the original bearing (it has never been used). So I will install that and see how it goes.

The original bearing, although simple, is quite excellent. A 5mm diameter tungsten carbide ball in the bottom of the spindle rests on a thin spring steel shim held in a small recess in the brass bearing base plate. It's totally silent.

I'd wager that the original bearing will probably sound better than the magnetic one.

there were two original bearing designs. The first, which went into the first 3 or 4 decks I believe, had a ball about the width of the spindle. John 'improved' this soon after, in mid 2011 IIRC, with a new design using a ceramic cup and smaller ball. It's fault free, but when lubricating the bearing you need to remember the possibilty of the ball dropping free!

there were two original bearing designs. The first, which went into the first 3 or 4 decks I believe, had a ball about the width of the spindle. John 'improved' this soon after, in mid 2011 IIRC, with a new design using a ceramic cup and smaller ball. It's fault free, but when lubricating the bearing you need to remember the possibilty of the ball dropping free!

There must be three of the non-magnetic variety bearing designs, because mine does not have either of those, just a 5mm carbide ball resting on a spring steel shim. I've had it apart.

right...here
In the first you can just see the ceramic cup with indent in the bearing sleeve, the indent sites the ball, and obv. the reduced size of the bearing ball in vs 2 of the design.
I think?! May need to check with Mr P re the 'ceramic' bit. I THINK that's what I remember him telling me. :)

inside by John Dutfield, on Flickr

bearing by John Dutfield, on Flickr

right...here
In the first you can just see the ceramic cup with indent in the bearing sleeve, the indent sites the ball, and obv. the reduced size of the bearing ball in vs 2 of the design.
I think?! May need to check with Mr P re the 'ceramic' bit. I THINK that's what I remember him telling me. :)
Hmm.. The bearing outer looks slightly different to mine, in that yours has a series of internal grooves running down the bore, mine has a plain bore all the way down.

I might be wrong, but I think the plate in the base looks very much like mine. The thrust plate in mine is a blued spring steel plate. The ball wears a very small indent in the plate.

I had my bearing completely apart with the base plate off. The spring steel thrust plate is 12mm diameter and 1mm thick and it sits in a small recess in the brass base plate of the bearing.

advertisement

Back