advertisement

Any Palmer turntable owners on PFM?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Any Palmerists here (besides me)???
Pls get in touch if so, for technical, support and just chat. Ta!

Brief statement on the state of play.
At present, Palmer Audio has stopped production.
I am buying the remaining stock of drive belts, and if you need one, PM me here please. There's no need to stock pile. If you want to source a simple rubber alternative, the mesurements are: 300mm inner 1mm width.
Thje OP ones are the later silicone belts in black. Here soon I hope.
I have the contacts for the motor, and the power supply, both easily available in the unlikely event you have problems.
Bearing oil gets a mention below somewhere!
John P is keen to support existing owners in need. Please PM me here first. Thank you.

At present, the american importer is considering making the 2.5 under license for the states, using the same suppliers for the motor, plinth and power supply, with other parts possibly being made in Germany. This is not yet agreed. However, GeneRubin, a US dealer is involved. He has new Palmers and some parts for sale there. Look him up for an alternative to me.

Thanks!

Hi Rocky. You may remember me from HFWW. I also have the 2.5, except mines been in storage for the last year (along with the rest of my hi-fi).

Hi Ray...ofc I remember:)
Why no HiFi? Home move?

Home decoration that has taken longer than expected, mainly due to us dragging our heels. I'm currently listening to my records using a Denon DM31, a £20 phono stage and a Pro-Ject Xpression - I'm enjoying it immensely. Makes you wonder if all this hi-fi malarkey is really worth it!

Home decoration that has taken longer than expected, mainly due to us dragging our heels. I'm currently listening to my records using a Denon DM31, a £20 phono stage and a Pro-Ject Xpression - I'm enjoying it immensely. Makes you wonder if all this hi-fi malarkey is really worth it!

If you decide to sell your Palmer, please look me up.

Are those turntables still in production?

Hi...John was AFAIK doing a strictly 'ask and I'll make you one' after a few domestic problems. They are certainly still on the market in the USofA.

Used ones are going to be gold dust if he stops, after stereophile's listing of it as top of the tops etc.

Rocky, have you ever lubricated the bearing? I'm wondering if I should lubricate mine after over a year in storage.

Rocky, have you ever lubricated the bearing? I'm wondering if I should lubricate mine after over a year in storage.

I would, as a precaution, although I have not done mine for 4 years! Any HQ bearing oil will be fine.

If you have a recent model, you'll know that the ball bearing at the base of the assembly is not enclosed...it sits in an inverted bowl shape and can drop free when you remove the thing. John says don't worry if it does...use a tiny drop of good engineering grease to hold it in place when re inserting the assembly into the well. Hope that helps.

Stop press. Please share this around all the Palmerists you know!
John has stopped making the Palmer AFAIK, but I am currently trying to get hold of John with regard to manufacture and supply. I already have contacted the USA and know that there, GeneRubin Audio have beed licensed by John to produce the Palmer 2.5 in Germany, but with key parts (the wooden plinth, motor and power supply) sourced from the original UK makers, to ensure design and mechanical compliance. The rest is being machined to at least the same exacting standard and then being put together there for the USA. That means that we here at least now have a guaranteed supply of parts if ever we need them.
Please for now, just wait up on contacting Gene or John since I am trying to establish a simple UK supply line of basics like belts. I will keep this thread updated with news as soon as I hear back from the various people I'm trying to contact.

If anyone reading this has info, please chime in!!

Thanks, John D.

Thanks to Paul at EvolutionAudio, always a Gent and endlessly helpful with advice. He has, however NO stock of Palmer bits, just in case you remember he used to deal with them.

Saw and heard John's Palmer at Scalford 2014? , and those beautiful Eucalyptus Harbeths . Certainly a T/T to treasure.

If it was 2014, then it wasn't mine, but 2012, it was me IIRC...2.5 + SME M2 + Benz wood SL (tho' we also used a Decca early in the day), driven by my Luxman valve amp (SQ 38u) and into my Harbeth 5's. We exhibited like this twice, with John there to chat to prospective owners, share a pork pie etc :) The first year we had lots of praise for the sound...the following year it was a tiny room with problems, sorted by Johniebaby brining in matresses for the corners!
I digress tho.

It was the tiny room you were playing Cat Stevens Catch Bull At Four , I remember things like that :D

Blimey! I remember playing it too! If we chatted then I'm sorry I don't remember...memory isn't THAT good :) (Unless I know you by a wigwam name ofc ;)

Great turntables, if I was in the market for a new TT then I'd definitely try and get hold of one, I've heard Rocky a couple of times at Scalford and heard Jons at Whittlebury Hall when he exhibited, hope he goes back into UK production soon

advertisement

Back