advertisement

Any Palmer turntable owners on PFM?

Any Palmerists here (besides me)???
Pls get in touch if so, for technical, support and just chat. Ta!

Brief statement on the state of play.
At present, Palmer Audio has stopped production.
I am buying the remaining stock of drive belts, and if you need one, PM me here please. There's no need to stock pile. If you want to source a simple rubber alternative, the mesurements are: 300mm inner 1mm width.
Thje OP ones are the later silicone belts in black. Here soon I hope.
I have the contacts for the motor, and the power supply, both easily available in the unlikely event you have problems.
Bearing oil gets a mention below somewhere!
John P is keen to support existing owners in need. Please PM me here first. Thank you.

At present, the american importer is considering making the 2.5 under license for the states, using the same suppliers for the motor, plinth and power supply, with other parts possibly being made in Germany. This is not yet agreed. However, GeneRubin, a US dealer is involved. He has new Palmers and some parts for sale there. Look him up for an alternative to me.

Thanks!
Hi John,
Thank you for your reply. It was only about 10 days ago that I messaged you, so not a problem!

John, would it be OK to have both those remaining belts please? If you could let me know ASAP, many thanks...
I have some of the Palmer "Slideway Oil 68", I would love to have the contact details for a spare motor and power supply though!?

Well, over the last 10 days or so, I have been getting to know the Palmer 2.5...I have only been back to vinyl for about 5 years, and I have gone through a few decks before reaching this absolute gem of a turntable. I started back then with a Funk LSD, a Funk Saffire 2, a Voyd followed a Funk Saffire V and then a VPI Classic 1. The Palmer 2.5 is like entering into a different world...everything just sounds right, so natural and at ease, so much more musical, and it has such amazing bass! The sound stage is huge too and there is so more depth to everything...it really draws you in, and it puts a smile on your face! I do feel very lucky indeed to be able to join this very "happy club"...I will never part with this deck!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Lynford.

Chaps...I had already set one aside for Lynford, who PM'd me at the Wigwam, so I STILL have 1 more belt after Lynford gets his and it's still 1st come first served....

'I'll take that last remaining belt please! Please let me know how I can make a payment ASAP! Many thanks again for contacting me,'
Look up to post 45 L, then go from there.
Best regards, John.

I really liked the look of them, were they expensive ?
Somewhere between eye-watering and "if you need to ask..." I think.

For reference, there is no need to keep more than one spare belt, or arguably even one, in the case of silicone ones, since now that you know the dimensions a rubber or silicone drive belt can be obtained from a number of industrial suppliers. It's going to be a standard size used in thousands of consumer items ranging from microwave turntables to recordplayers and back via DVD players and Christ knows what else.

Hi, I am really interested in a Palmer Turntable to upgrade my current TT. I currently have Roksan Xerxes (original) with an upgraded plinth from Inspire Hi-Fi, an upgraded motor and power supply by Origin Live, an Audiomods Series 5 tonearm and a MusicMaker III cartridge. The rest is Croft 25R preamp with Tesla E83CC NOS valves, Croft Series7R monoblocks and Harbeth SHL5 Plus 40th Anniversary speakers.
I wonder whether an "original" Palmer 2.5 or the new version "2.5+" by Fidelis Audio would make a notable/significant improvement over my Roksan.
Any comments, please?

I've never made that comparison, and my memory of the Rocksan is shaky (tho positive). However the media and others seem to place the Palmer in the top 10 of all decks, worldwide, ever, so at a guess, you could be sure the answer is yes....if you can find one for sale. Your system sounds very much like it contains some of John Palmers favourite manufacturers too so I think you'd be delighted!
I can't find the + version you write about. Fidelis website shows the original 2.5 with words by JP. Can you say more about what the plus is?

I've never made that comparison, and my memory of the Rocksan is shaky (tho positive). However the media and others seem to place the Palmer in the top 10 of all decks, worldwide, ever, so at a guess, you could be sure the answer is yes....if you can find one for sale. Your system sounds very much like it contains some of John Palmers favourite manufacturers too so I think you'd be delighted!
I can't find the + version you write about. Fidelis website shows the original 2.5 with words by JP. Can you say more about what the plus is?

The "+" version is the new one, to be offered by Fidelis Audio, the US importer of Palmer Audio, that has now acquired the rights to continue production of Palmer turntables. They will be produced in Germany from now on...

Chaps...I had already set one aside for Lynford, who PM'd me at the Wigwam, so I STILL have 1 more belt after Lynford gets his and it's still 1st come first served....

'I'll take that last remaining belt please! Please let me know how I can make a payment ASAP! Many thanks again for contacting me,'
Look up to post 45 L, then go from there.
Best regards, John.
Hi Again John, Sorry, I can't seem to find your address to post a cheque off to you!!!? Kind regards, Lynford

The "+" version is the new one, to be offered by Fidelis Audio, the US importer of Palmer Audio, that has now acquired the rights to continue production of Palmer turntables. They will be produced in Germany from now on...

I had this conversation with JP about 2 months ago. Gene Rubin at GR audio had mentioned this to me and I'd told John. At that stage he hadn't issued any such license or permissions for this to happen. He may have done so by now tho so let's hope this is the official one! :)

I had this conversation with JP about 2 months ago. Gene Rubin at GR audio had mentioned this to me and I'd told John. At that stage he hadn't issued any such license or permissions for this to happen. He may have done so by now tho so let's hope this is the official one! :)

Well, I am interested in a Palmer TT, so I was initially surprised by the fact that John's website was offline for quite a while in the recent months. So I started researching and somewhere (in Art of Sound, IIRC) I read that John had gone out of business and had sold his rights to Fidelis. Rumors? Right or wrong? I could not tell... If someone has direct contact to John, perhaps he/she would be kind enough to confirm.

well as I said, I do, and last time we spoke he said it was 'news to him'. Next time I chat to him I'll ask again. He does sometimes look in here so you never know! :)

well as I said, I do, and last time we spoke he said it was 'news to him'. Next time I chat to him I'll ask again. He does sometimes look in here so you never know! :)

Perhaps you would be kind enough to ping John directly and ask about the current status... ;)

Any Palmerists here (besides me)???
Pls get in touch if so, for technical, support and just chat. Ta!

Brief statement on the state of play.
At present, Palmer Audio has stopped production.
I am buying the remaining stock of drive belts, and if you need one, PM me here please. There's no need to stock pile. If you want to source a simple rubber alternative, the mesurements are: 300mm inner 1mm width.
Thje OP ones are the later silicone belts in black. Here soon I hope.
I have the contacts for the motor, and the power supply, both easily available in the unlikely event you have problems.
Bearing oil gets a mention below somewhere!
John P is keen to support existing owners in need. Please PM me here first. Thank you.

At present, the american importer is considering making the 2.5 under license for the states, using the same suppliers for the motor, plinth and power supply, with other parts possibly being made in Germany. This is not yet agreed. However, GeneRubin, a US dealer is involved. He has new Palmers and some parts for sale there. Look him up for an alternative to me.

Thanks!

Hello there,

now I found your related message.. Yes, I would need a belt for the PM 2.5. . Can't get the 33.3 with the old one .. I love the turntable...

Hello Michael. All the original belts are now sold.
You can either
measure your old one and buy from ebay (the OS was 1mm thick, but 1.5 or so should be fine), or, contact Gene Rubin audio in the USA who still has some to sell.
best regards
John

Sorry it's been a while, I had an arm board made from the drawing supplied by Acoustic in Germany but there is no way I can align it all ok. Given up at the moment and fitted a new SME V. Will try the Graham again later. Does any one know where I can get a Palmer alignment gauge?

advertisement

Back