advertisement

Any Palmer turntable owners on PFM?

Hi all, I have a 2.5 with a AO PU7 (12"). JP brought it round to my house and set it up for me, excellent service. I'm running it with a Benz Gullwing slr (which I've just broken...). I think it probably needs a new belt and I'm not sure how to lubricate it correctly. Any help would be much appreciated!

Chaps. I have been asked recently for 2 more belts (although neither request has been actually followed by a parcel chez moi) so in theory, there are now just 2 left. so 5 of 'us' have a new belt and what shall I do with the last 2?
auction? (joking).
keep them for anyone in emergency?
sell to first 2 people to ask for 1?

Idaes on a postcard.

Hello everyone, just bought a palmer 2.5 with SME 5 and would welcome any info on set up etc. It has an SME 5 on but I have a Graham Phantom that I would like to fit but I will need the correct mounting plate if any one has one for sale.

Hello everyone, just bought a palmer 2.5 with SME 5 and would welcome any info on set up etc. It has an SME 5 on but I have a Graham Phantom that I would like to fit but I will need the correct mounting plate if any one has one for sale.

Don't Graham supply an SME mount for their arms? I think it's rather unlikely you will find anyone with a spare Graham arm board for the Palmer.

as above. I don't know of any other graham fitted 2.5's so there is no experience to call on.
Otherwise its very simple and normal set up. I'd remove the platter and ease the bearing rod from the housing. Clean out old oil and replace with a few drops of new. Refit the bearing a wait patiently for the suction to alow it to settle down. Refit the platter, level the deck and then, assuming you got the strobe light and disc, fine tune the speed. You hand rotate the platter to start it going. You can't 'over-speed' it with too hefty a turn, but you can 'under speed' it with too weedy a turn, so give it a decent spin. Jobs done, and will stay done for many years. Speed drifts should be checked maybe once a week?
We saw the deck on ebay...congrats on the purchase. One of the very best. Hope you agree.

Thanks for the info, will let you know how I get on. I think the Graham is just a round hole like most other arms, you are right the Graham can be bought with either an SME mount or a round mount not sure if this can be changed after.

Set the deck up in my system over the weekend and listened all night WOW this deck is just so much better than my Oracle Delphi 5 it has a much wider sound stage with greater depth and more space around the instruments, just better all round, this is a keeper. However I would still like to try my Graham Phantom with the Palmer, does anyone know where I might get a suitable arm board made? should you change records on the fly or turn if on and off each time?
One more question can anyone scan and send me a copy of the user manual please? Thanks in advance for any answers.

User manual? I'm not sure such a thing ever existed. It certainl didn't when I bought mine, mainly I think because John made it all so simple, and installed most himself. There was no OS box either I don't think.
As to changing records, either is fine. The deck won't mind which way you do it, but even with the cork mat, there is some small chance of damage to vinyl lifting it off a moving platter, so I stop mine. John says the motor doesn't mind sitting at a standstill for a short while...just spin it up again when you're ready.

Hi if you decide to keep the SME I might be interested to try the Graham :)

Thanks for your answers, I have found a dealer in the USA(Gene Rubin Audio) who can get an armboard to suit the Graham but he wants $700, sounds bit ambitious but I guess he has the monopoly on parts. Will try to get one made locally, if I can't I'll just have to bite the bullit and order one. I'll let you now how I get on with that.

Have you tried it on the SME mount? Wisdom around the web seems to think that it more or less drops straight into the SME slot.
Best bet is to phone graham and ask them directly.
(781) 932-8777...a £5 call to the USA is better than a $700 board you may not need :)

However I would still like to try my Graham Phantom with the Palmer, does anyone know where I might get a suitable arm board made? should you change records on the fly or turn if on and off each time?
One more question can anyone scan and send me a copy of the user manual please? Thanks in advance for any answers.

AFAIK there never was a user manual. I had an arm board made for my Palmer by an engineering company. I made a CAD drawing for what I wanted and they machined it for me in aluminium and clear anodised it. The original Palmer supplied arm board is made from plated brass, I think the early decks were unplated brass.

If you know the pivot to spindle distance and the mounting details for your Graham I could make you a CAD drawing or a solid works 3D model for you to put it out to tender to some engineeering companies. I can put you in touch with some of my contacts in the industry if you want.

Your other option is to contact Jon Palmer and see if he could get one made for you.

Ive managed to find an engineering company who will make one from solid stainless steel. I'm going to remove the SME arm board from the Palmer and also the Graham mount from the Oracle deck and take them both into the machine shop so they can copy them. My only concern is that I get the hole centres correct as the graham mount is fixed not sliding like the SME one. Thank you for the offer of a cad drawing if this method fails I'll take you up on it. Hopefully this should be done next week, will let you know how I get on.

My only concern is that I get the hole centres correct as the graham mount is fixed not sliding like the SME one.

It's not critical that the pivot to spindle distance is spot on with the Palmer arm board. Correct alignment of the cartridge can be done by rotating the arm board about its single fixing screw.

In fact that's how Jon did it, even with my SME IV with a sliding base. He put the sliding base roughly in the centre of it's travel and then finally aligned the cartridge by rotating the arm board slightly with the stylus in the protractor.

Thanks again for your help, I guess that leaves a margin for error in getting one made.
Let you all know how I get on

advertisement

Back