advertisement

Any Palmer turntable owners on PFM?

I had an arm board made from the drawing supplied by Acoustic in Germany but there is no way I can align it all ok. Given up at the moment and fitted a new SME V. Will try the Graham again later. Does any one know where I can get a Palmer alignment gauge?

No such thing as a Palmer alignment gauge AFAIK. Do you have the alignment protractor for the Graham?

The Palmer armboard is a single screw fixing so, if yours is correctly made, you should be able to rotate the armboard about the fixing point until you have the correct pivot to spindle distance for the Graham. Once you have that set and fixed in position it should be possible to correctly align the cartridge using the Graham alignment protractor without moving the armboard.

Last edited:
Hi John,
Thank you for your reply. It was only about 10 days ago that I messaged you, so not a problem!

John, would it be OK to have both those remaining belts please? If you could let me know ASAP, many thanks...
I have some of the Palmer "Slideway Oil 68", I would love to have the contact details for a spare motor and power supply though!?

Well, over the last 10 days or so, I have been getting to know the Palmer 2.5...I have only been back to vinyl for about 5 years, and I have gone through a few decks before reaching this absolute gem of a turntable. I started back then with a Funk LSD, a Funk Saffire 2, a Voyd followed a Funk Saffire V and then a VPI Classic 1. The Palmer 2.5 is like entering into a different world...everything just sounds right, so natural and at ease, so much more musical, and it has such amazing bass! The sound stage is huge too and there is so more depth to everything...it really draws you in, and it puts a smile on your face! I do feel very lucky indeed to be able to join this very "happy club"...I will never part with this deck!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Lynford.

Any Palmerists here (besides me)???
Pls get in touch if so, for technical, support and just chat. Ta!

Brief statement on the state of play.
At present, Palmer Audio has stopped production.
I am buying the remaining stock of drive belts, and if you need one, PM me here please. There's no need to stock pile. If you want to source a simple rubber alternative, the mesurements are: 300mm inner 1mm width.
Thje OP ones are the later silicone belts in black. Here soon I hope.
I have the contacts for the motor, and the power supply, both easily available in the unlikely event you have problems.
Bearing oil gets a mention below somewhere!
John P is keen to support existing owners in need. Please PM me here first. Thank you.

At present, the american importer is considering making the 2.5 under license for the states, using the same suppliers for the motor, plinth and power supply, with other parts possibly being made in Germany. This is not yet agreed. However, GeneRubin, a US dealer is involved. He has new Palmers and some parts for sale there. Look him up for an alternative to me.

Thanks!
Hello just found your contact info do not know if you are still involved with Palmer turntable
Would appreciate more information in regards to maintenance I.E. how to change bearing oil etc
There are no dealers up here in Canada any info would be welcomed Do love this turntable
Thank you
JP

Hi jp.
First remove the platter whilst keeping the bearing pressed down. Then you can ease the spindle out of the bearing housing. There are some pictures on page 4 of this thread I think. Use a cotton bud to clean out all the old oil et cetera. There is also some information here somewhere about the kind of oil John recommends. You need just two or three drops of that oil down into the bearing shaft. After that you can replace the spindle but be careful that the ball remains in place on the shaft. The shaft will not want to sit right down at first since you will have formed a vacuum. Just be patient and spin it and eventually it will move down into its proper place. Then just replace the platter and all is done. There really isn’t anything else to do. Hope you love the deck, best regards !

Eye watering price...wonder how the pitch control works now with a simple speed switch (push/pull rotary knob maybe?).
I've not been in touch with John for a year or more so don't know if he has now licensed this, sold the name or what but anyway, it's good to see it continue. What is the 'new bearing' I wonder ?

The original bearing, although simple, is quite excellent. A 5mm diameter tungsten carbide ball in the bottom of the spindle rests on a thin spring steel shim held in a small recess in the brass bearing base plate. It's totally silent.

I'd wager that the original bearing will probably sound better than the magnetic one.
The size of the tungsten carbide ball is 4mm

not me anyway...a bit in the dark as to what was done anyway...have G Rubin issued a full spec for the new one? I've not checked. Glad to hear of any info tho. I see that in birch like the original with the audio origami arm it's close on £11,000. I may be that it sounds that good, and I've not kept up with used 2.5's here in the UK, but suspect you can save 5-7000 if you can find a good used one with or without arm here!

artist, did you you pursue the new version Palmer 2.5i? Have you heard it? I'm very interested to hear from anyone that has. There are claimed improvements to the power supply and bearing.

Hi my friend purchased one and i have heard it i was very impressed with it, i purchased a monaco 2.0 turntable.I have been offers a very good deal on the Palmer and as i will be spending part of the year in france i will be putting a system together and i will be getting the palmer turntable.

Hello, anyone on here own a Palmer 2.5 - 12" turntable?
I am already a 2.5 std owner but... I do have the chance to purchase a new boxed 12" version less tonearm.
Just interested in any thoughts or feedback re the deck / which 12" tonearm goes well??
Before I jump in with both feet.
I do remember speaking to Jon about the deck and he said that it was quite rare, and he said that roughly only around 10 were ever made!
Cheers...

I have a Palmer 2.5-12 with an AMG 12J2 arm. I believe I am the only Palmer owner in New Zealand. I purchased it in late 2014 and exchanged some great emails with Jon Palmer at the time, so I'm sorry to learn that he has retreated from view. In early 2015 Jon emailed a newsletter, possibly the only one he ever sent. In it he talked about a new magnetic bearing, so I persuaded him to sell me one and I installed it with the help of a local technician. Has anyone else had any experience with this magnetic bearing? And if so, did you compare it with his standard 'conventional bearing? I know Jon had some trouble making it and I never heard about it again. I suspect he went back to the bearing he was using previously.
Hi, I am very interested in Palmer 2.5 - 12, I am already a 2.5 std version but...fancy trying out a 12" tonearm. The std deck is just a shade under 19" in width, can you please tell me the width of your deck? As I now have the chance to purchase one! Many thanks.
Kind regards,
Lynford.

Is there actually anyone still alive on here!!??

Unless I've died and I'm posting from the other side I'm still here. Sorry I can't help with the dimensions of the 12" Palmer though.

I have the standard 2.5 with the 9" SME arm board. I did try a 12" Jelco arm on mine with a bespoke arm board I had made by a small engineering company.

I'm using a parallel tracking Terminator air bearing tone arm on my 2.5.

BTW where did you manage to find a new boxed 12" Palmer? I thought Jon only made them to order.

I am sure anyone can find out more information on the Gene Rubin Palmer table, Gene is an excellent chap, and very easy to talk to.

At the time of my purchase, John had made the grand toyal of NIL boxes or crates, so any such must have been either very late models or, as Dis said ^, box that was made to order. How a new one is available now mystifies me. Is it a Rubin?

At the time of my purchase, John had made the grand toyal of NIL boxes or crates, so any such must have been either very late models or, as Dis said ^, box that was made to order. How a new one is available now mystifies me. Is it a Rubin?
Well, I last spoke to Jon back in December 2017, when I purchased a couple of decks and some spares from him, and there were a few special boxes / crates made for export! That's what Jon told me anyway, and I have actually seen some photos of them. I realise that most Palmer purchasers had their turntables built to order and hand them delivered by Jon, and taken straight from the boot of his car! Probably, the reason for this, was time, together with the expense of the packaging, Jon said that the wooden crates were very expensive to produce. Yes, this new deck is quite a find...at the moment I would rather not say where it is, as it has only been reserved for me, and I probably won't get till the New Year!

advertisement

Back