1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Where we are now: The site is back up and running! The character set encoding issue has been fixed so old posts should now look ok. I am currently working on themes/skins etc and I will be deleting the temporary green skin very soon as it has many issues. I will do a very quick variation on the stock blue skin first just to get a light-grey background and san-serif font, and I will set this as default. Later this week I will hopefully add a professional third-party skin in pfm colours (life is way too short to do this crap myself, and I've found one I really like than needs next to no tweaking). We are getting there slowly...
    Dismiss Notice
  3. May I please request people check and update their email address if it is out if date. I ask as I’m getting countless bounce errors as the server fails to send notifications through etc. I’ll eventually figure out how to send these to a black hole somewhere, but it makes sense to address it at source as quite a few folk are obviously not getting the thread and conversations notifications they have set in their preferences.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Active Monitor/Speaker User Roundup Thread

Discussion in 'audio' started by Space is the Place, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

[​IMG]

2. Greg

Greg 2t5b

seems to coincide with MDMA consumption; beyond that I'm not sure :)

3. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

...the projectile ping pong ball sounds were particularly realistic...

4. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Were those Thai balls??

PT. III

you could hear her body move in the air. She lent over and squeezed; that sound will live with me, for eternity... You could almost smell the reality - Umm... Caviarteria

5. Space is the Place

Space is the Place pfm Member

No? what are you thinking your dirty beast! It's the Ping Pong Ball Orchestra! :D

6. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Intermission:

[YOUTUBE]Qk5jCfEGQKE[/YOUTUBE]

7. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I got them for about £100 on eBay and installed them on a shelf in the kitchen corner cupboard. They still raise a smile whenever I have them on - it's the best sound in the house at the moment. They have been abused at parties for hours on end, with the whole metal enclosure/heat sinks running very warm at the end of the night they never give up. AC/DC flat out - nothing wrongfoots them. I am also getting hooked on the sound from (relatively) shitty iPod systems. This range from Sony for example. http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/made-for-ipod/2/4

8. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

[YOUTUBE]uV1np9t1e24[/YOUTUBE]

from kiss of the ladyboy or summit'

9. panda

panda pfm Member

theyre too heavy to lug around to parties unless it's one i'm hosting. but yeah they do go rather loud.

10. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

Talking of cheapies, I just got a pair of Behringer (I know, I know) Truth 3031A because I've been wanting to hear these and the special offer price was too hard to resist.

Not warmed up yet but will do a review. Not really intending to keep them so look out for an unbeatable classified offer in due course :)

Tim

11. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

12. arthur

arthur Banned

13. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

heard lots of the little sub sat systems that are ok.....very clear, detailed and analytical.....but i found them very unnatural....quite a few drum and bass, rave and nu metal producers use them.

the biggies could be interesting though. prob more integrated than the sub systems.

good value set up for what you get.

14. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I think that's the price per speaker?

15. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

mine

Klein and Hummel 0300D

[​IMG]

Yamaha hs80m

[​IMG]

the gethein are great indeed, but not 10 000 greater than my k_H.

16. darrylfunk

darrylfunk Banned

the yams are really good speakers for the money....

17. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

they are indeed, and with the pair of hs10w subs, they are outstanding.

i still have my ns10s too. horrible damned things.

18. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

Don't even think about using the "auto" power setting on these. It puts the speakers into standby when not in use. Nice idea. However it sometimes does it during quiet passages :)

Tim

19. MattSPL

MattSPL pfm Member

Ok, sounds good.

20. onlyconnect

onlyconnect pfm Member

One thing I will say for the humble Behringers: they are OK without a sub, better in that respect than the AVI ADM 9.1s.

AVI is not good when it comes to specs; but we do know that the 9.1 has a 6.5" woofer and "bass extension better than – 6dB @ 60Hz".

The B3031A has an 8 ¾" woofer and the calibration graph that comes with the speakers shows no significant drop-off until below 40Hz.

That extra 20Hz range makes a big difference.

Tim