advertisement

Active Monitor/Speaker User Roundup Thread

Just to see what people are using and enjoying.

Started with a pair of Alesis actives bought for a friend for £130.
Then came a pair of the (in)famous AVi's which showed real promise, wouldn't mind trying a pair of later versions if any come up, to see how they've improved.
Then the Opals, not without their own character, or the last word in dynamics or scale, but live up to the hype for a small twoway IMO.
Now using NHT's and Dynaudios BM5A's, not the worlds best, but great VFM and a good all-round quality little monitor with or without a sub.

Adam Audio Compact Classics (mk1) in maple with silver fronts.

The best all-round stand-mount speakers I've owned. Doesn't really need a sub, but I'm using one with them anyway to reasonably good effect (just under-pinning that last octave really). Only criticism of these speakers is that they're not really that pretty - in fact, the weird silver front baffle is a bizarre design decision but it clearly works.

Right hand speaker and LPS
77e8gem

Genelec 8260a's with two 7270 subs, after hearing lots of active monitors I settled for the Gens, purpose designed aluminium enclosure, three way active, coax mid/tweeter ,digital crossovers ,A/D ,D/A and active room correction built in, outstanding loudspeakers.
Keith.

Thats a difficult call greg. A very different system, created from the same DNA. All i can say is; i enjoy this system much more than i did t'other.

Raj, well all I can say is the 25s must be good then.

People say ATC has a house sound that just gets bigger as you move up the foodchain.

There must be strengths and weakneses that you have noticed in having listened to both?

In my experience, 50's play louder and need to be loud to hear them at their best. 25's don't need to be pushed and give little away in usable SPL's.
But then again I've not tried my current DAC/Pre with 50's. It has a proper analog active preamp built in, so is quite a different animal to the HDR.

The best all-round stand-mount speakers I've owned. Doesn't really need a sub, but I'm using one with them anyway to reasonably good effect (just under-pinning that last octave really). Only criticism of these speakers is that they're not really that pretty - in fact, the weird silver front baffle is a bizarre design decision but it clearly works.

77e8gem

That's not a bad recommendation as you've had a few ;)

The ADAMs are the only (better known) active two ways ive not tried at home (now... where's that credit card? ;))

I found 50's upwards needed some welly to reproduce everything in correct proportion, although the SL mods improved things a lot (the re-tuned ports helped hugely too i thought). Obviously the mid dome has been tweaked (chassis) and there's a new tweeter or two.

Only ATC's could really be used hard into a corner like that - I suspect the 25 should be plonked on top (via stands) of a meter bridge?????

Am having stands built :) But they're used in a professional environment like this:

7006232325_e022c15207_z.jpg

I've had them out into the space where they'll sit with the stands, the difference is remarkable little.

Just to see what people are using and enjoying.

File me under 'interested but not yet commited'. I'm very curious about the upcoming Neuman KH310 (O300 replacement), the ME Geithain RL906 or MO2, Unity Audio Rock and Event Opal. I'm not doing anything until the KH310 appears, which is apparently before end of this year according to scuttlebutt over at Gearslutz. I'm becoming increasingly curious about the little Geithains to be honest, I suspect they might be rather good despite being very expensive for their size.

File me under 'interested but not yet commited'. I'm very curious about the upcoming Neuman KH310 (O300 replacement), the ME Geithain RL906 or MO2, Unity Audio Rock and Event Opal. I'm not doing anything until the KH310 appears, which is apparently before end of this year according to scuttlebutt over at Gearslutz. I'm becoming increasingly curious about the little Geithains to be honest, I suspect they might be rather good despite being very expensive for their size.

I bet the Neumanns are great, even though the two ways are good VFM, and can be very good like the Opals, i think they are compromised compared to a threeway. Would love to hear a pair of the K&Hs myself.
Of course both ATC (above) and now Focal (who's actives also seem to be great value) followed the trend which might have been started by Barefoot.

Clean and functional, excellent design.

klei_o300l.jpg

Focal SM9.

arton2891-6d5e6.jpg

GALLERY_REC0009535-000_2_images390.jpg

notice the heatsinking, some serious amps in these...

Barefoots.

l.jpg

77e8gem

Sniff...how I miss them...:(

That's not a bad recommendation as you've had a few ;)
Not so sure I've had that many stand-mounted speakers. Just thinking:

Tannoy M20 (my first 'proper' speakers)
Tannoy Chester (10" DCs - great fun, wish I'd kept them)
Neat Petite mkIII
AVI Pro Nine Plus (wish I'd kept these too)
AVI Neutron IV (still have in second system)
Alesis M1 530 actives

...everything else has been a floor-stander. Though I've obviously heard many, many more stand-mounts than the list above. Still stand by my statement, though; for my equipment, room and ears, the Adams just work beautifully...

advertisement

Back