advertisement

Active Monitor/Speaker User Roundup Thread

I once read "Greater Emotional Engagement" to someone describing the music of Atomic Kitten and the wall still has the dent mark.
Lesser emotional involvement might actually be the way forward for you. You know, save a wall and stuff.

I have only ever heard Mackies and Genelecs in any kind of controlled listening experience. I liked them both.

Kasper, it was at the very least 9 years ago (Wiki says they split in 2004). It was a throwaway anecdotal story with no real importance attached. [sigh]

Some of the Mackies are not-very-good sounding copies of some of the Genelecs. Really, one needs to know the models people referring to. Its like saying "I liked that car I drove" and leaving it at that. Some are fine some are hideous. Generally the Mackies are the hideous ones IME.

Kasper, it was at the very least 9 years ago (Wiki says they split in 2004). It was a throwaway anecdotal story with no real importance attached. [sigh]

Some of the Mackies are not-very-good sounding copies of some of the Genelecs. Really, one needs to know the models people referring to. Its like saying "I liked that car I drove" and leaving it at that. Some are fine some are hideous. Generally the Mackies are the hideous ones IME.

fox, it was a throwaway comment with no intent other than lighthearted fluffiness. [sigh]

I'll get you some model numbers. I'm all about being relevant.

Edit: Mackies were model 824; Genelecs were 1030.

When someone uses language like that I wonder how good such speakers can be, given that they are being likened to a stream of piss.

JAMES McNEILL WHISTLER:
Yes, thank you. Right, Your Majesty is like a stream of bat's piss.

(gasps)
THE PRINCE OF WALES:
What?
JAMES McNEILL WHISTLER:
It was one of Wilde's.
OSCAR WILDE:
It sodding was not! It was Shaw!
THE PRINCE OF WALES:
Well, Mr. Shaw?
GEORGE BERNARD SHAW:
I, um, I, ah, I merely meant, Your Majesty, that, ah, you shine out like a shaft of gold when all around is dark.
THE PRINCE OF WALES:
Oh, ho-ho, very good.

I had ATC Active 10s for a while about 8 years ago. They were very nice indeed
Less great with the pygmy polyphony & thunderstorms IIRC. Although that's only really a problem if you listen to a lot of pygmy polyphony recorded in thunderstorms.
Totally agree about large vs small. Although I have pair of titchy Genelecs that are really excellent when used close-up as intended.
Future main speaker plans may well involve their large DSP'd brothers. Any future system will have to be extremely energy efficient. The days of cheap & plentiful electricity being over there is no room for sentiment.

Joel Hi, have you run into the Grimm LS1 monitors , heard them in Munich, thought they had possibilities , I have two 7270 subs with my 8260's now, subs make a big difference,
KR Keith.

advertisement

Back