advertisement

Active Monitor/Speaker User Roundup Thread

"in just about every musically important way."

i'd like to one day see what people mean by this statement after putting some effort into thinking it through... Again not disagreeing but "Musically" and "Important" can be hugely loaded and culture-specific terms when seen together.

Possibly MA Dissertation or would make a nice little postdoc back burner. Hell of a loaded thing to say, anyway.

i'd like to one day see what people mean by this statement after putting some effort into thinking it through...

Yeah, I've never thought much about music at all, obviously. *

* Insert smiley

Of course, it's not a fair comparison. But I'd rather have a good big speaker than a good small one. Active v passive is neither here nor there in my decision making.

Ditto . . . The standard of studio-purposed monitors is generally high - a pleasant change from the ragtag nature of domestic gear. Fostex, Genelec, KRK, Event, Focal - all very fine speakers, but - as you'll read widely - there is something special about Adams. At home, A5X flank my main work machine and a fistful of them (plus Sub8) comprise the home cinema. Heard many others, including some AVI offerings, but keep coming back to Adam.

What Adams are you using for the home cinema?

I have the same plan as soon as I can find a suitable processor.

I'm also trying to decide on the smallest Adam sub that'll do the job with films.

i'd like to one day see what people mean by this statement after putting some effort into thinking it through... Again not disagreeing but "Musically" and "Important" can be hugely loaded and culture-specific terms when seen together.

Possibly MA Dissertation or would make a nice little postdoc back burner. Hell of a loaded thing to say, anyway.

indeed .. how do you piss over something in a musically important way?

little jbl 6325p here, with a naim headline as the preamp. strange combo, but it works well!

I have the earlier JBL LSR25p and they work much better than they should. I have no idea why.

There must be other interesting brands out there apart from ATC and Adam's that get so much airtime here.

I'd like to be enlightened.

There's also some interesting products rolling out of the R&D departments of Sony, Philips, etc for the circa £500 iPod units (essentially active speakers). Some have 5 or 6 discrete amps powering individual drivers. I think it's a great trend.

indeed .. how do you piss over something in a musically important way?

It's only a problem if you take things too literally. It's just a throwaway comment about how a good small active isn't necessarily better to listen to than a good big passive. I wasn't trying to express anything more profound than that. If you want to beat my sentence to death, be my guest.

"Greater emotional engagement" is not an expression you will ever find me using wrt analysing music, or even hi-fi for that matter.

Greater Emotional Engagement

Which Emotion?
Is that emotional Engagement intentional?
Is that emotional Engagement appropriate?
Is that emotional Engagement desirable?
Does that emotional Engagement impede/improve other aspects of listening?
Does that emotional Engagement impede/improve comprehension
Is that comprehension accurate?
Is that comprehension intentional?
Is that comprehension appropriate?
Is that comprehension desirable?
How do you know?
If yes Why?
If no Why not?
How are you sure your feeling increased emotional Engagement is not just cultural and learned responses to the music that are propagated by previous generations responding in the same way?
Is this an emergent or mimetic behaviour?

I'm tired of typing now.
I am off to find a toy plush bunny to stab or something now. I once read "Greater Emotional Engagement" to someone describing the music of Atomic Kitten and the wall still has the dent mark.

andyoz, yeah they have no right to sound this good for so cheap! i got them used for half the retail price, and it's still a bargain at full price.

"i must admit my jaw hit the floor and a smile beamed forth as i listened contentedly to my new speakers, foot tapping away vigorously and the joy was palpable even my ex girlfriend could hear the increased emotion of the music as we listened to the climax of threnody to the victims of hiroshima by krzysztof penderecki!!!"

They'll be here in about 2-3 weeks :). Was going to have them made by an engineering firm then painted, but found Its just as cost effective to approch an existing stand manufacturer.
They have the techniques and finishes mastered and have examples of work to examin. http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/p...ucts_id=244&osCsid=5idjl84hdcdhbqolemrbl3bqd1

Looks like a good place. I need something like this, but wedge shaped.
http://customdesign.co.uk/catalog/p...views_id=68&osCsid=5idjl84hdcdhbqolemrbl3bqd1

Part II. Quite palpable, the e-motion must have been tenfold. The sound was lush, engrossing yet highly musical. We felt like the orchestra was in the room.

Greater Emotional Engagement

Which Emotion?
Is that emotional Engagement intentional?
Is that emotional Engagement appropriate?
Is that emotional Engagement desirable?
Does that emotional Engagement impede/improve other aspects of listening?
Does that emotional Engagement impede/improve comprehension
Is that comprehension accurate?
Is that comprehension intentional?
Is that comprehension appropriate?
Is that comprehension desirable?
How do you know?
If yes Why?
If no Why not?
How are you sure your feeling increased emotional Engagement is not just cultural and learned responses to the music that are propagated by previous generations responding in the same way?
Is this an emergent or mimetic behaviour?

Would be a great template for some minimal music.

advertisement

Back