advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two questions regarding the "stepped attenuator addon card" for the M-PAX. Will this add full preamp-like volume control to the analogue bypass input? Is it controllable by the M-DAC main unit and its remote control?

Michael

I have two questions regarding the "stepped attenuator addon card" for the M-PAX. Will this add full preamp-like volume control to the analogue bypass input? Is it controllable by the M-DAC main unit and its remote control?

Michael

The stepped attenuators in the M-PAX "standard" version only serve to keep the Digital domain attenuation between 0dB and -16dB range over an output attenuation range of 0dB to -56dB, they step between -10dB, -20dB, -30dB and -40dB.

There will be a 100GBP option that adds a full 1dB Analogue Balanced Step attenuators to around -70dB, so the M-PAX can function as a simple very HQ line level pre-amplifier.

The M-PAX will be controlled by the MDAC's Volume control / RC handset as normal.

There will be a 100GBP option that adds a full 1dB Analogue Balanced Step attenuators to around -70dB, so the M-PAX can function as a simple very HQ line level pre-amplifier.

Thank you John! This should be all I need to connect my turntable + phono preamp directly.

Thank you John! This should be all I need to connect my turntable + phono preamp directly.

Yes - exactly :) that's the plan - that's why we will go through all the effort to use the fully balanced stepped attenuators - the highest quality method to attenuate an analogue signal path...

Turntables are really the only "High Quality" analogue signal source I can think of these days and they deserve the very best signal path...

Sorry 29mile,

Lost in the earlier thread split...

We can sell you the updated PCB that’s fitted within the M-DAC but you will have to be responsible for the M-DAC warrantee… Normally we would take on reasonability for the M-DAC’s warrantee when the owner opens there MDAC to fit the new PSU PCB…
Hmm sell, huh? Are you aware this sort of discussion should be in the trade section?

Why don't you just give people your email address for anything relating to selling and bring this thread back to purely technical matters.

avole,

I'm supporting an MDAC user - do you really think I care about selling a GBP65 PCB?

No its about offering support and allowing M-DAC owners to have some fun improving there unit. DIY can be fun, I'm all for bringing fun back to HiFi, Digital has taken the Fun out of HiFi...

I'm not pushing products, just answering genuine questions. If I where pushing my wares, I'd sad no you cannot buy the PSU upgrade card separately - you have to buy the whole unit and take the money!

I'd even sell the M-PAX Chassis to allow owners to build there own matching PSU - do you really think its worth the effort for me to arrange "Unmachined" chassis? - no it costs me more in time and money, but its for the Fun - I'd like to have the same support as a customer!

I find it so sad that your so "ante" this thread or anywhere I post - cannot you not just leave it alone?

John

john,
can you confirm the prices for M-PAX in all the existing options please
too difficult to browse through tons of pages and my memory doesn't serve me well anymore... thnx

Hmm sell, huh? Are you aware this sort of discussion should be in the trade section?

Why don't you just give people your email address for anything relating to selling and bring this thread back to purely technical matters.

For god's sake man; let it go!

avole,

I'm supporting an MDAC user - do you really think I care about selling a GBP65 PCB?

No its about offering support and allowing M-DAC owners to have some fun improving there unit. DIY can be fun, I'm all for bringing fun back to HiFi, Digital has taken the Fun out of HiFi...

I'm not pushing products, just answering genuine questions. If I where pushing my wares, I'd sad no you cannot buy the PSU upgrade card separately - you have to buy the whole unit and take the money!

I'd even sell the M-PAX Chassis to allow owners to build there own matching PSU - do you really think its worth the effort for me to arrange "Unmachined" chassis? - no it costs me more in time and money, but its for the Fun - I'd like to have the same support as a customer!

I find it so sad that your so "ante" this thread or anywhere I post - cannot you not just leave it alone?

John

Thanks John for explaining the spirit of it. I really appreciate it.

I have been buying equipment and though I am trained as an electrical engineer I have never done any DIY. It will really be fun like you said to do some DIY sometime. We just need the confidence to do that and it will come through practice. I own a MDAC now and I come in and out of the forum and isn't a regular. Hope that I will be able to come across the posts should there be any DIY choices for the MDAC in the future.

At this moment you don't need more money. You are blessed. You are just doing what you love. People who follow these threads long enough should know that.

Hi Mark,

Dom's behind on work, I'm pushing him to work in the software over the coming weeks, so if you want to start a "Wish List"...

John

24bit/192khz driver for the pc usb connection.
Input rename
Different volume for each input (selectable in the settings if having one common volume or different volume for each in)

PS John, have you seen at CES the new products of CA? The streamer is very nice and the CD remembers me something familiar...

Hi all, I'd like to apologise for my contentious posts yesterday and before.

I do generally have concerns about viral marketing on the internet, and had wondered - obviously - about the spate of Audiolab threads that appeared out of the blue. I also remember reading a post by the original poster of one of the first threads on another forum which to me seemed to imply he'd started the original audiolab thread deliberately as an exercise in product placement, but thinking about it overnight, realised this was a case of my interpretation and simply was not correct.

I also re-read the Audiolab threads yesterday evening and it certainly is true most are technical stuff rather than selling, and the only thread that was specifically about selling was moved to the trade section anyway.

Therefore, I'd like to beg everyone's pardon for those errors, retract the statements which were so obviously wrong, and if I've offended both Simon and John Westlake, apologise for that. I can't promise I won't be critical of any product in the future, of course, and the bluntness that runs in my family is always going to come out in my comments, but I'll leave these threads alone now, and hope no harm has been done.

Anybody know when the next batch of M-DACs will get into the shops? I want mine!

I've been told by HiFix that it'll be at least the end of this month, or the first week of February. Still can't understand why Audiolab didn't make more - surely they knew a DAC with all these features - and designed by John - would be very popular. I know patience is a virtue, but many are ordering these online and only finding out after the fact that there will be a delay in receiving the units. I think only one online store has actually posted that there's any delay...

- John

these companies don't do it like that - continuous manufacturing, otherwise you would have millions of MDAC. it ain't iphone. these are produced in batches. this month MDAC, next month CD, than CDQ, and so on. and despite the demand this is impossible to change....

I've been told by HiFix that it'll be at least the end of this month, or the first week of February. Still can't understand why Audiolab didn't make more - surely they knew a DAC with all these features - and designed by John - would be very popular. I know patience is a virtue, but many are ordering these online and only finding out after the fact that there will be a delay in receiving the units. I think only one online store has actually posted that there's any delay...
Yeah, I've had mine paid in full since early December but no confirmed delivery date. Not a huge deal, but worth noting in response to the above.

Hi all, I'd like to apologise for my contentious posts yesterday and before.

Therefore, I'd like to beg everyone's pardon for those errors, retract the statements which were so obviously wrong, and if I've offended both Simon and John Westlake, apologise for that.

Avole, I appreciate the sentiment, these are honest threads where John is doing his best to service customers requests. Obviously at the end of the day its hifi and we buy it, it's not given away, but there is genuinely no 'posting for post sake' on these threads. As I stated before I started the initial thread because ti had become obvious that at some point that DIYaudio was no longer the right place for a soon to be commercial project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back