advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still can't understand why Audiolab didn't make more - surely they knew a DAC with all these features - and designed by John - would be very popular.
Also you try to limit the size of your first batch so that any problems identified during the first production run and after delivery to customers can be removed from subsequent batches

My USB playback seizing when using high power electrical appliances issue seems to have returned, the extra USB/grounding cable attached between MDac/PC seems to have stablized it considerably for a while, but it can still trip up ocassionally.

I tested all my main's plugs with the martindale mains tester & they're all operating fine.

Just not sure where to go next really, of course the MDac will be replaced when there's UK stock anyway due to the right channel cutting out (which it hasn't done for weeks now) so will find out for sure ifit's the MDac at fault eventually.

In the meantime is there a test i can do to definitively see where the USB connection is being affected by electrical appliances?
Or a way of grounding the USB connection on the MDac better?

Can't remember if you tried this, but it might be worthwhile to run it all from a battery powered laptop for a while, just to check it's definately not mains borne?

sam_cat
- Display on/Display off after x seconds (dont mind if its a set value or user configurable)
- User nameable inputs
- Disable inputs (IE exclude them when cycling through inputs... I have no use for coax and it would save me 2 extra button presses if I could delete them)
- Custom startup screen
- Any way of getting track name/album/track no or other info from the host when on USB? (I dont care about this, but its something that put one of my friends off buying one) -> John says no
- Built in ADC -> John says no

EIffel
- Discrete IR commands for input selection (and possibly Filter selection and MuteOn/MuteOff to approximate PowerOn/Off commands).
- Dimmable display (and auto feature to adapt to ambient light)
- (Maybe) Option to retain different volume levels by input (This may not be needed until the M-PAX is introduced), while retraining some distinction between headset and speakers (multiplicative logic?)
- (maybe)Volume limiter - to avoid silly levels on headsets, at startup, etc. especially with kids around
- (maybe)Phase switch... ok scratching the surface here
- Support for 172.4kHz sampling rate (which doesn't seem to be included at the moment... I must say I haven't tested 88.2kHz as I don't have a sample track)

ADL
- 24bit/192khz driver for the pc usb connection.
- Input rename
- Different volume for each input (selectable in the settings if having one common volume or different volume for each in)

JamJar
- configurable preset volume level at power up

Can't remember if you tried this, but it might be worthwhile to run it all from a battery powered laptop for a while, just to check it's definately not mains borne?

Thanks for the suggestion but i tried this and exact same situation

Its not a huge deal because i can listen to music with my sub at my desired listening level & mostly have no issues, but it is slightly annoying feeling actual fear when you know a big bass line is about come in, wondering if this is going to cause the USB connection to fail...

Apart from that i don't know if this is possible but it's sounding even better, maybe because i changed to Optimal Transient & stuck to it, but everything sounds so damn good, when its playing ;)

Just tried headphones for the first time: superb! This is the first component that has outperformed my favourite headphone amp, my audio alchemy headphone amp, which may now go on eBay, however it's a long time since I used my Sennheiser HD600s, and I must say my ML Summits are a lot better, if somewhat heavier :cool:

Thanks for the suggestion but i tried this and exact same situation

Its not a huge deal because i can listen to music with my sub at my desired listening level & mostly have no issues, but it is slightly annoying feeling actual fear when you know a big bass line is about come in, wondering if this is going to cause the USB connection to fail...

Apart from that i don't know if this is possible but it's sounding even better, maybe because i changed to Optimal Transient & stuck to it, but everything sounds so damn good, when its playing ;)

Hi Chronic,

Your unit has a faulty USB connection (on the MDAC side) - I believe that the Ground connection is missing.

I could send you a replacement main PCB, this would solve both your issues? if you felt confident to replace PCB yourself - I could talk you though it over the phone. This would save you having to wait for a replacement unit, and the hassle of sending it back to Audiolab.

John

Just tried headphones for the first time: superb! This is the first component that has outperformed my favourite headphone amp, my audio alchemy headphone amp, which may now go on eBay, however it's a long time since I used my Sennheiser HD600s, and I must say my ML Summits are a lot better, if somewhat heavier :cool:

:)

I've always said that Martin Logans where like wearing giant headphones, but with better imaging and Bass - ML are the most revealing and detailed speakers I've ever heard - they blow the Quad ESL's our of the water..

John

sam_cat
- Display on/Display off after x seconds (dont mind if its a set value or user configurable)
- User nameable inputs
- Disable inputs (IE exclude them when cycling through inputs... I have no use for coax and it would save me 2 extra button presses if I could delete them)
- Custom startup screen
- Any way of getting track name/album/track no or other info from the host when on USB? (I dont care about this, but its something that put one of my friends off buying one) -> John says no
- Built in ADC -> John says no

EIffel
- Discrete IR commands for input selection (and possibly Filter selection and MuteOn/MuteOff to approximate PowerOn/Off commands).
- Dimmable display (and auto feature to adapt to ambient light)
- (Maybe) Option to retain different volume levels by input (This may not be needed until the M-PAX is introduced), while retraining some distinction between headset and speakers (multiplicative logic?)
- (maybe)Volume limiter - to avoid silly levels on headsets, at startup, etc. especially with kids around
- (maybe)Phase switch... ok scratching the surface here
- Support for 172.4kHz sampling rate (which doesn't seem to be included at the moment... I must say I haven't tested 88.2kHz as I don't have a sample track)

ADL
- 24bit/192khz driver for the pc usb connection.
- Input rename
- Different volume for each input (selectable in the settings if having one common volume or different volume for each in)

JamJar
- configurable preset volume level at power up

The USB 24/96 limitation is due to hardware, and not software drivers...

MDAC is already capable of 176.4kHz and 88.2kHz via Coax SPDIF.

The other suggestions we will try and add :)

Thanks John. Wailin' Jennys could well be to my taste!

Have a listen an let me know what you think of the recordings and try the filters - listening to the vocals and the detail of the stringed instruments - I can talk you though what I hear...

John

:)

I've always said that Martin Logans where like wearing giant headphones, but with better imaging and Bass - ML are the most revealing and detailed speakers I've ever heard - they blow the Quad ESL's our of the water..

John

Just to show off :cool: I have a set of Quad ESL57 in the Barn, and they are still lovely, but yes, the Summits are an awful lot better. Just had the feeling that headphones would always win, but they don't. Strangely although the whole raison d'etre of Martin Logans is the electrostatic driver, the most impressive feature is the awesome bass, and I used to have active isobariks! If you are passing through Oxfordshire, John, pop in for a coffee and listen.

The USB 24/96 limitation is due to hardware, and not software drivers...

MDAC is already capable of 176.4kHz and 88.2kHz via Coax SPDIF.

The other suggestions we will try and add :)

i succeded in 24§/192 on the coax input from CA 751BD

I stand corrected on 172.4 kHz, as the problem seems to come from my source (a PC with onboard audio). 192 kHz worked well on the MDAC (via coax and optical), but there is no 172.4 kHz setting!

I'll definitely have more playing and critical listening to do once I receive my replacement MDAC (In anticipation, I've modified my CDT to be able to output to two DACs at the same time ;-) )

avole,

Well you are a true Gentleman - I was not expecting that, thank you for your understanding :)

Its hard to be on "Both sides of the fence" - on the one side I live for Hi-Fi, I put everything into designing the best products I can, and thankfully I have a very understanding Wife who tolerates my crazy working hours, not to mention constantly travelling around the world - we don't even have a "real" home...

On the other-side, I work within the industry... I have to be very careful not to overstep the "Honesty" of the forum.

John

Just to show off :cool: I have a set of Quad ESL57 in the Barn, and they are still lovely, but yes, the Summits are an awful lot better. Just had the feeling that headphones would always win, but they don't. Strangely although the whole raison d'etre of Martin Logans is the electrostatic driver, the most impressive feature is the awesome bass, and I used to have active isobariks! If you are passing through Oxfordshire, John, pop in for a coffee and listen.

We might take you up on your offer one day, we used to live in Wallingford right on the Thames - Wallingford had a very different feel to West Norwood in South London that I grow up in as a child! unfortunately I'd already move away from home by the time my parents moved - Damn... (I'm the eldest of 11 Children)!

Hi, any further news on the matching power amp for the MDAC?

Hi Gracey,

The Power Amps are scheduled to be released a couple of months after the M-PAX.

Its Chinese New year now, its the worst time to try and predict project time scales, everything slows down before the CNY close-down, and you can never tell how long it takes vendors to come back on line after CNY...

Target is May / June for the Power amps & matching Transport.

John

Hi Chronic,

Your unit has a faulty USB connection (on the MDAC side) - I believe that the Ground connection is missing.

I could send you a replacement main PCB, this would solve both your issues? if you felt confident to replace PCB yourself - I could talk you though it over the phone. This would save you having to wait for a replacement unit, and the hassle of sending it back to Audiolab.

John

Hi John,

If the PCB is fairly easy enough to replace i think i could manage it, i recently completely took apart my mobile phone to repair it which was easy enough, and i've done a bit of soldering, thats about the extent of my experience with circuitry ;)

I don't want to put you out if its at much cost to yourself though, because i may end up swapping it for a new unit a few days/weeks later, the shop i bought it from is letting me hold onto it until i can swap for a new one due to the right channel cutting out, im just not sure when there will be stock. The right channel seems to be fine recently & im using the MDac a lot of the time, if i fix this one i may even hold onto it.

Knowing it is definitely the PCB causing the issue would be nice

Hi Gracey,

The Power Amps are scheduled to be released a couple of months after the M-PAX.

Its Chinese New year now, its the worst time to try and predict project time scales, everything slows down before the CNY close-down, and you can never tell how long it takes vendors to come back on line after CNY...

Target is May / June for the Power amps & matching Transport.

John
Hi John,
Regarding these amps, in what way, if any, do you expect them to outperform the 8200 ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back