advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_73

pfm Member
John: Not sure if this has been mentioned in this mammoth thread, and apologies if it has. Does the MDAC upsample everything, or - for example - if you play a 16/44.1 file will it keep it at that native resolution?

Cheers,

- John

Probably me being a bit slow, but I don't understand what you mean by "the internal server". Are you saying the SBT can act as a music server on the network, or are you referring to its ability to send data out of its digital outputs ?

What problems are you getting installing the software? In my exerience, you just run the installer and tell it to scan your music library. The SBT then detects the server on the network when you boot it up and is able to access that same library. Not much to it really.

I can see that running it on a NAS might be a bit hit and miss, but I'd have thought most PCs should be up to the job. Until very recently I was running it here on an old low-spec Athlon based machine in my loft. I did have a problem at first where the music would intermittently hang, but I solved this by disabling all the unwanted plugins which I'm guessing were bumping up the resource requirements. It was fine after that. Might be worth a try?

At the moment I only have my laptop which I want to avoid using as a server. I dont really want to unpack plug in and power up each time I want to listen to a few quick tunes. I've plugged in a backup external WD drive to the SBT usb connection and I'm using the internal processing power (hardly server software) to retrieve and manage the files. And this failed quite a few times the other night when playing 96/24 material. I even had to reboot when it lost connection and failed to find my music library. Everyones recommended using a dedicated PC and install the server software, but I thought I'd try it out first, just was not prepared for it to fail so badly. Got 2 choices improve my basic NAS drive ( which has not enough guts to run the server s/w) or get a dedicated vortex box.

Started separate thread here
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=111909&page=2

has anyone got the bitperfect test passed on win7 and foobar?
I remember a post from Domink some time ago claiming it was not possible on win7

I searched in the forum and many people passed the test using Win7. I failed with both WASAPI and ASIO4ALL, now I resetted and I start again form the beginning, starting with WASAPI then ASIO4ALL

has anyone got the bitperfect test passed on win7 and foobar?...I failed with both WASAPI and ASIO4ALL, now I resetted and I start again form the beginning, starting with WASAPI then ASIO4ALL
Yes. This should not be a problem. How are you feeding the MDAC?

Valve head, the ESS chip runs an asynchronous up sampler as part of the dejittering, so everything is up sampled the dac chips native internal rate. I forget what it is, but it's high...

for the bitperfect test, i got the file from this thread/dominik it's about 5 minutes long...

do you leave the whole track playing for the full 5 minutes?

mine just shows as 'passing test' & doesn't seem to ever change...

Win7/Jriver/USB

on a side note my USB connection started going again late last night, PC crashed a couple times, i checked the back of the MDac & as expected my 'botch grounding' USB cable had fallen off the rca connector
any tips on securing it on there better? it was on very tightly with electrical tape

M-DAC displays Test Failed after few seconds.
I succedeed in achieve bitperfect test using wasapi but only for the 16bit44.1KHz file.
Now I receive test failed again also on this file, without having touch anything, very strange

Valve head, the ESS chip runs an asynchronous up sampler as part of the dejittering, so everything is up sampled the dac chips native internal rate. I forget what it is, but it's high...

Thanks SQ225917 (hope I got that right! :p). I'd always been lead to believe that upsampling was 'bad' if one was intent upon protecting the purity/integrity of the original file, but I guess in this case it doesn't appear to have impacted upon the sound quality of the final unit judging by the reviews/opinions I've read so far. Nearly got the money together for one now... and it looks like they're sold out everywhere! Typical :p

- John

Hi John, it has been a while since I read the forums. During these time my CDQ has been in and out of repair 4 times. As my is the first batch, it could be one of those who are having issues.

At the 4th repair, the dealer suggested on their own to do a one to one replacement for me. If I top up a little, they will pass me the CDQ with transformer and OLED upgrade.

In the shop I see the MDAC. I have heard it as well compared to the 8200CD. Boy does it sound different!!

I am sure grateful for a new CDQ with the upgrades but how I would have loved to bring home the MDAC instead with all its advancement in sound. Being so far away in Singapore, the CDQ upgrade you have promised in Q3 this year probably won't reach many of us.

I intent to change the cdq to a mdac instead and the difference exchange for a marantz bluray player ud5005. What do you think of the plan? :)

Thanks SQ225917 (hope I got that right! :p). I'd always been lead to believe that upsampling was 'bad' if one was intent upon protecting the purity/integrity of the original file, but I guess in this case it doesn't appear to have impacted upon the sound quality of the final unit judging by the reviews/opinions I've read so far. Nearly got the money together for one now... and it looks like they're sold out everywhere! Typical :p

- John

John, I guess it depends how you do it. Nearly every dac chip in existence these days doesn't do the final D to A conversion at 44.1, some oversample to achieve this, some up-sample, some do both.

I'd always been lead to believe that upsampling was 'bad' if one was intent upon protecting the purity/integrity of the original file, but I guess in this case it doesn't appear to have impacted upon the sound quality of the final unit judging by the reviews/opinions I've read so far.
upsampling to a much higher frequency works well. synchronous upsampling (to an integer multiple - eg. 4x) works very well (based, if nothing else, on my experiments with upsampling)

The higher your upsampling frequency the closer the upsampling process is to approaching a continuous waveform

IIRC The ess dac uses a very high upsampling frequency which is also an integer multiple of both 44.1k and 48k

The ess dac also lets the designer (John & Dominik) do what they want with dsp (digital signal processing) to get the best out of the raw signal

I'm sure this has already been answered - but if someone could point me in the right direction or give some direction, I'd be very grateful.

My system has started to "stutter". The MDAC is running on USB from a PC with Foobar and Asio4all installed.

Had to re-instal the Foobar and Asio after upgrading the disk and memory and had trouble doing so (there's a new Asio version of the needed foo out asio dll file which leads to Foobar not working) After several attempts I found and downloaded the old version which seemed to work.

However, all is not well. I've been through all the settings as per the manual and I think I have everything set up right, but I'm not sure that the real tek driver/software isn't clashing somehow. Is there an obvious fix?

Thanks

Ian

Doh! Reset the Asio Buffer size to 2048 samples and now all seems fine.

Anyone else had the issue of recently downloading Foobar and the Asio out component, or is it just me?

Cheers

Ian

MMMMMahler no more.

My system has started to "stutter". The MDAC is running on USB from a PC with Foobar and Asio4all installed.
The ASIO setup has now changed a bit from that described in the MDAC manual. Are you using the latest Foobar (1.1.10)?

You say you are using the newest version of the ASIO output module. Are you aware that the output mapping method has changed a little? Your chosen output device (prefs/output) should be "ASIO : ASIO4ALL v2 - my channel mapping". While on this page, set your buffer length to about 5000mS.

Go to prefs/output/ASIO, double-click on ASIO4ALL v2 - my channel mapping (within custom channel mappings), you need to make Audiolab M-DAC 1 & 2, left & right respectively. While you're there, press configure and the ASIO4ALL control panel will appear - select the advanced option with the spanner icon. Make sure that "Audiolab M-DAC" is highlighted - crank the ASIO buffer size slider all the way up, likewise Kernel Buffers up to 4 (max.). You may remember doing this before - but this is, from ASIO4ALL's point of view, a new device and its default settings are tuned more for low latency than stability. Before closing ASIO4ALL's control panel, check that none of the options are ticked. Close the control panel, OK your way out and enjoy the music!

Hi John,

In the light of the complaints about RCA inputs (yes, only 2, but..), I thought I should respond to your request for a picture of my snapped-off USB pillar. Not the easiest to photograph, but here goes:
Fracturedendofusbpillar.jpg

USBpillar.jpg

As you can see, I hope, it has fractured cleanly at the root. Maybe a once-off.
I will get it back to Steve at Huntingdon early this week.

Except for this problem, the M-DAC is working brilliantly, on CD, SACD, TV digital sound, and computer, at the moment via V-link. What is particularly impressive is the feel for the recording venue.I'm anxious to get it back!

Cheers

Bob

JohnW - are you aware that the big 8 (i.e. -18dB) in the volume display is a bit wonky and could do with a small tweak to make it look nicer.

Anyone else had the issue of recently downloading Foobar and the Asio out component, or is it just me?

Cheers

Ian

MMMMMahler no more.

Me too, tomorrow i'll try again

Cheers

Ian

MMMMMahler no more.

Yes the Asio Buffer size MUST be set to 2048 Samples!!

M-DAC displays Test Failed after few seconds.
I succedeed in achieve bitperfect test using wasapi but only for the 16bit44.1KHz file.
Now I receive test failed again also on this file, without having touch anything, very strange

ADL,

Are you sure you have set your Asio Buffer size to 2048 Samples!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back