advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
john,
can you confirm the prices for M-PAX in all the existing options please
too difficult to browse through tons of pages and my memory doesn't serve me well anymore... thnx

:( I don't wish to appear to be selling here...

M-PAX GBP289

Internal upgrade MDAC PSU PCB + GBP69. This options separates the Left and Right analogue channels, adds a low impedance "Organic" capacitor bank close to the Mainboard - and optimised for a DC input PSU.

1dB step Analogue balanced Switched attenuators cards (Fits within the M-PAX) + GBP100. This option enables the M-PAX to function as a VERY high quality line level pre-amplifier.

The last two options can be added at any time by owners.

I'd still like to stress that we have NOT yet listen to upgrade PSU - so I have to be cautious here - maybe the cost will not justify the improvement in Sound Quality - although I feel confident that from years of experience the PSU should result in a worthwhile improvement - however I'd expect it will be a case of "Icing on the cake" rather then a "Step Change"...

There's 30day return period (if anyone's needs more time, just Email), allowing adequate time for the PSU to run-in and time to listen.

If my "theory" is correct that its the Organic Capacitors that cause the "shift" in audio quality as the MDAC runs-in , then its going to be the same for the M-PAX... if not worst (as there will be many more organic caps).

John

Hi John,
Regarding these amps, in what way, if any, do you expect them to outperform the 8200 ones?

How can I put this.... I don't like the 8200 amps...

They had better be!!! by a VERY long way.

If my "gut feel" is correct they should be amongst the very best - the design is totally unique - lets see :)

Bare in mind they will be my first "Commercial" amplifiers - they will be just a little special :)

John

Hi John,

If the PCB is fairly easy enough to replace i think i could manage it, i recently completely took apart my mobile phone to repair it which was easy enough, and i've done a bit of soldering, thats about the extent of my experience with circuitry ;)

I don't want to put you out if its at much cost to yourself though, because i may end up swapping it for a new unit a few days/weeks later, the shop i bought it from is letting me hold onto it until i can swap for a new one due to the right channel cutting out, im just not sure when there will be stock. The right channel seems to be fine recently & im using the MDac a lot of the time, if i fix this one i may even hold onto it.

Knowing it is definitely the PCB causing the issue would be nice

OK, I'll test up a PCB here for you, PM your address and I'll get it out for you - also forward your phone number, and I talk you though the PCB swap.

John

How can I put this.... I don't like the 8200 amps...

They had better be!!! by a VERY long way.

If my "gut feel" is correct they should be amongst the very best - the design is totally unique - lets see :)

Bare in mind they will be my first "Commercial" amplifiers - they will be just a little special :)

John

Now I'm drooling. I'll start saving up then.

:( I don't wish to appear to be selling here...

M-PAX GBP289

Internal upgrade MDAC PSU PCB + GBP69. This options separates the Left and Right analogue channels, adds a low impedance "Organic" capacitor bank close to the Mainboard - and optimised for a DC input PSU.

1dB step Analogue balanced Switched attenuators cards (Fits within the M-PAX) + GBP100. This option enables the M-PAX to function as a VERY high quality line level pre-amplifier.

The last two options can be added at any time by owners.

I'd still like to stress that we have NOT yet listen to upgrade PSU - so I have to be cautious here - maybe the cost will not justify the improvement in Sound Quality - although I feel confident that from years of experience the PSU should result in a worthwhile improvement - however I'd expect it will be a case of "Icing on the cake" rather then a "Step Change"...

There's 30day return period (if anyone's needs more time, just Email), allowing adequate time for the PSU to run-in and time to listen.

If my "theory" is correct that its the Organic Capacitors that cause the "shift" in audio quality as the MDAC runs-in , then its going to be the same for the M-PAX... if not worst (as there will be many more organic caps).

John

Hello John,

I'm a future M-DAC owner (i'm a french customer and i'm waiting for it :)).

I will use it with a Emotiva UPA-2 Power Amplifier, so using the digital preamplifier mode to drive the Emotiva.

Just to be sure, with this M-PAX + upgrade, i will be able to use the M-DAC for DAC Conversion and the M-PAX will do the preamplifier job ? Or the M-PAX can only be used with an external source ?

Does this set-up is possible ?

CD Player (coax) --> (coax) MDAC (rca) --> (rca) M-PAX (rca) --> (rca) Emotiva UPA-2 --> Speakers

Thank you !

John

Hard to resist that kind of talk. As, when and where a pre-orders list is drawn up, please add my name. Thanks.

Hello John,

I'm a future M-DAC owner (i'm a french customer and i'm waiting for it :)).

I will use it with a Emotiva UPA-2 Power Amplifier, so using the digital preamplifier mode to drive the Emotiva.

Just to be sure, with this M-PAX + upgrade, i will be able to use the M-DAC for DAC Conversion and the M-PAX will do the preamplifier job ? Or the M-PAX can only be used with an external source ?

Does this set-up is possible ?

CD Player (coax) --> (coax) MDAC (rca) --> (rca) M-PAX (rca) --> (rca) Emotiva UPA-2 --> Speakers

Thank you !

Hi deuch,

What do you need the M-PAX for?

You can already connect the MDAC directly to your power amplifiers - so the standard version of M-PAX allows you add AV bypass - and also maximise the performance of the digital pre-amplifier by constraining the Digital attenuation range to a maxim of 16dB digital attenuation over a 56dB level range.

M-PAX can act as a line Level Analogue pre-amplifier with the addition of the Step attenuator card - BUT there is only a single set of RCA inputs and a single set of XLR inputs (+ The MDAC inputs). The output to the power amplifier can be RCA or Balanced from any input source (single ended or Balanced).

John

John, you are welcome trying to made my pair of xpa1 go away with the power amp :) still hope there's some mono blk from u.

Hi Gracey,

The Power Amps are scheduled to be released a couple of months after the M-PAX.

Its Chinese New year now, its the worst time to try and predict project time scales, everything slows down before the CNY close-down, and you can never tell how long it takes vendors to come back on line after CNY...

Target is May / June for the Power amps & matching Transport.

John

X2!

Thanks John for explaining the spirit of it. I really appreciate it.

I have been buying equipment and though I am trained as an electrical engineer I have never done any DIY. It will really be fun like you said to do some DIY sometime. We just need the confidence to do that and it will come through practice. I own a MDAC now and I come in and out of the forum and isn't a regular. Hope that I will be able to come across the posts should there be any DIY choices for the MDAC in the future.

At this moment you don't need more money. You are blessed. You are just doing what you love. People who follow these threads long enough should know that.

Hi John can you clarify the M-PAX versions.

Standard being the basic version PSU with AV bypass and the premium version adding further analogue inputs and step attenuator ?

Not sure if I put my name down for the right version.

Still playing around with the Squeezebox touch and will be configuring a server for running the LMS software over the next month. Posted a few details of the build earlier in thread, and wondered if I could ask a question in regards to using a PC as a source. The builds a low powered atom based mini-itx form and will be using an external psu. Theres a few audiophile based components being touted from Sotm
SOtM-PCI-Flow.jpg
and wondered what difference it would make over a bog standard USB 2.0 port on a motherboard with a Olimex isolator. Price is £240. They also build fan filters and HDD filters £45 each. You mentioned about perhaps designing your own isolator and just would appreciate your view. I'd also like to know where to source a decent DC 12v 60w/80w PSU.

Thanks

Will the MPAX be available in Silver, as well as Black? (If black only I'd better change my M-DAC order quick :p)

Thanks,

- John

Hi PhilCTTE,

In all versions the M-PAX unit itself is the same, the only difference between the standard and premium version is the replacement PSU PCB that's retrofitted internal to the MDAC.

For those who do not wish to open there MDAC to fit the new PSU PCB or send the unit back to us for update, the standard version is recommended.

Again I stress the actual M-PAX unit is the same for both versions - they both have the AV handling etc.

The "Switched Attenuator option" can be fitted to both versions (its fitted inside the M-PAX), it adds "Level" control to the Analogue inputs allowing the M-PAX to be used as a reference grade Line Level Pre-amplifier (Note only a single set of RCA inputs and one set of XLR inputs + the MDAC link).

I imagine its use with an external Phone stage allowing a high quality input for the turntable, an "AV bypass" Analogue input and with the MDAC handling the digital sources - completing a basic Audio system.

I looked into the link you sent. But I don't see the need for a low noise PSU for the USB port as the MDAC does not draw any power from the USB, so improving the USB power will not have any effect upon the MDAC.

Also, as the MDAC is "Clock Master" I see no need for an improved "USB Clock", again it will not help the MDAC - the MDAC does not use the USB clock to generate the audio replay clock.

With "Simpler" Bus powered (non Async) USB implementations I can see where it might help, but its a round-about way to improve a "flawed" solution - which is not applicable to the MDAC self powered, Async USB port.

I'd recommend the use of the USB isolator isolating the PC and Audio Grounds more beneficial.

John

Will the MPAX be available in Silver, as well as Black? (If black only I'd better change my M-DAC order quick :p)

Thanks,

- John

Hi John,

The M-PAX will be available in both *matching Silver and black versions.

*I'm not sure how stable the MDAC colour matching will be as Audiolab have been through a few Casework vendors each with there own colour (and finish) variations...

I imagine its use with an external Phone stage allowing a high quality input for the turntable, an "AV bypass" Analogue input and with the MDAC handling the digital sources - completing a basic Audio system.

Are you saying we can use both the RCA and XLR inputs? Until now I was under the impression there will be two connector types for one analogue input.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Yes, you will be able to select between the RCA Analogue inputs or the XLR's (Which can be wired as a highest quality second RCA input if required).

John

Hi Michael,

Yes, you will be able to select between the RCA Analogue inputs or the XLR's (Which can be wired as a highest quality second RCA input if required).

John

John, this is so awesome! Thank you!

:rolleyes: oO(....) <- me imagining all the possibilities ;)

Can the 100GBP analogue attenuator option support bots inputs? Does the M-DAC configuration allow us to select the inputs it is active on (like on for phone preamp and off for av receiver)?

Bare in mind they will be my first "Commercial" amplifiers - they will be just a little special :)John

If this is true than I have to compare a pair of your amps (in bridged mode) to my CA 840W. And I will blame you if I decide to buy some of them!

Michael

Thanks John, ok my order is correct I wasn't sure whether the step attenuation analogue input was an option.

In regards to the USB audio card , thanks for feedback. It has a switch to cut the power to its usb output, whether that makes a difference in what the MDAC does with the signal . But at present I'm using the usb isolator in the chain. You've saved me some money there ! Thanks.

Do you plan to look at USB interfaces in anyway ?

Do you plan to use a mini-itx form atom processor in your planned streaming device, or will it all be proprietry inards tied down to your specific implementation. Digital device with cd transport, DNLA and capable of 24/192 streaming. If you were to incorporate this it would render any music server redundant and would be a killer device in my view. Isolating motherboards and SSD drives from audio components. Allowing third party software to be implemented to deal with the UI and music file processing .....

Hi John.

I'm getting entirely confused :confused:

When all these shiny new input/output/av thingies are done, can we possibly have an Mdac mkII say.

Just the least complex possible dac/pre with your best possible power supply please?

I'm a simple soul at heart and I just like playing music :)

Course I still want the new power supply thingie !!

OK, I'll test up a PCB here for you, PM your address and I'll get it out for you - also forward your phone number, and I talk you though the PCB swap.

John

PM Sent & will reply with my phone number, not sure ifits worth upgrading the PCB at the same time, prempting the M-PAX upgrade?
I'm not sure if the PCB upgrade needs to be done at the same time as the PSU upgrade...

Maybe as my right channel cut out in the past its better to just replace this PCB for a standard one & eventually exchange this unit when there's UK stock.

Cheers John

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back