advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to all and happy new year! I am new to the site and also new to Audiolab's M-DAC which I just ordered from the local, in Greece, distributor. The question is, do I have to check something in peticular in terms of firmware versions etc in order to be sure that I have the latest and more robust, if any?

I thank you in advanced
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding.

All current MDAC's are shipped with the original release software - in the next couple of weeks we will release a software update with added features, you will be able to update your unit via the USB.

John

Thanks John loving the dac using now as you suggested.

One quick question on cable connection from my SB Touch to the dac should it coaxial or toslink? What length?

Is Belden based cable a good choice?

Thanks

Wayne

Hi Wayne,

I'd suggest a Optical (Toslink) as this will help isolate the MDAC from the electrical RF noise generated by the SBT.

John

Question to JohnW: I know that one can use an iPad with the MDAC, but can one plug an iPod classic into it too, thereby serving as a DAC for the iPod? It would be cool to be able to take the MDAC on trips/holidays (it's just small enough) and be able to plug an iPod into it and make use of the MDACs DAC and (by all accounts) superb headphone stage. I believe a direct digital feed can be taken from the iPods dock connector?

Cheers,

- John

In order for Apple to protect its own IP and interests its a very secretive company - this is understandable when you have the so many other company's trying to impersonate your own designs.

Without access to Apples' MFI (Made For iPod) information its very hard to design 3rd party Apple accessors or compatible products.

However I understand there are two methods to extract a digital Bitstream from an Ipod product.

Earlier units from the original iPod Nano onwards support "Lingo 10" USB Host Mode Digital extraction. This is described in detail in an Apple Patent - judging by the drawing of a Car Audio head unit in the Patent, I guess this mode was original conceived for Car audio applications. Reading the Patent suggest that only 44.1KHz/16Bits is support. Units like the Wadia itransport and Peachtree Audio use this method of Data extraction.

With Lingo 10, the "idevice" is basically "dumb" and the audio is extracted by a USB Host, ie. the replay device is "Intelligent".

However with the "Growth" in processing power of "idevice's" lingo 10 extraction mode with its 44.1KHz 16Bit limitation is slowly losing favour to USB Slave mode - where the audio device is "Dumb" and the iDevice is the Host device - this is the standard mode most Audio devices are connected via USB to a PC etc.

The Apple Camera adaptor allows the iPad to act as a USB Host to a contacted USB DAC. Currently Apple only allow the Camera adaptor to function on the IPad, but I can see no reason why it could not be connected to later generation iPhone s etc - its only a software limitation. I suspect later Apple devices to allow USB audio streaming via the Camera Adaptor.

John

so if you want to start a "Wish List"...
From previous discussions and some new ideas

Display on/Display off after x seconds (dont mind if its a set value or user configurable)
User nameable inputs
Disable inputs (IE exclude them when cycling through inputs... I have no use for coax and it would save me 2 extra button presses if I could delete them)
Custom startup screen
Any way of getting track name/album/track no or other info from the host when on USB? (I dont care about this, but its something that put one of my friends off buying one)
Built in ADC

Building on the sam cat's wish list:
- Discrete IR commands for input selection (and possibly Filter selection and MuteOn/MuteOff to approximate PowerOn/Off commands).
- Dimmable display (and auto feature to adapt to ambient light)
- (Maybe) Option to retain different volume levels by input (This may not be needed until the M-PAX is introduced), while retraining some distinction between headset and speakers (multiplicative logic?)
- (maybe)Volume limiter - to avoid silly levels on headsets, at startup, etc. especially with kids around
- (maybe)Phase switch... ok scratching the surface here
- Support for 172.4kHz sampling rate (which doesn't seem to be included at the moment... I must say I haven't tested 88.2kHz as I don't have a sample track)

These are just ideas in order of desirability (for me)

Optimal Transient types = NOS

Optimal Spectrum = Full digital attenuation by FS/2

Wow, the exact opposite of what i would expect based on their sound and the sound of NOS dacs that have been through these walls in months past.

Support for 172.4kHz sampling rate (which doesn't seem to be included at the moment... I must say I haven't tested 88.2kHz as I don't have a sample track)

I've tested 88.2 and I can confirm that it worked for me.

This was from SACD [Oppo BDP83=>(hdmi)=>Audiolab 8000AP=>(optical)=>MDAC].
The MDAC displayed a bit depth of 23bit for some reason. I assume that's something to do with the way the Oppo player is converting the DSD stream to PCM.

I am not sure if this is the place to post but I read somewhere that there was going to be a small cd transport including streamer that will pair with the MDAC. Is this still likely to happen? If so any more info and ballpark pricing?

I am not sure if this is the place to post but I read somewhere that there was going to be a small cd transport including streamer that will pair with the MDAC. Is this still likely to happen? If so any more info and ballpark pricing?

Yes, there's a matching slot loader with Memory Buffer (for readability) + 192KHz Async USB under our own brand (like the M-PAX) to be launched around April / June.

The MDAC displayed a bit depth of 23bit for some reason. I assume that's something to do with the way the Oppo player is converting the DSD stream to PCM.

Apparently the Oppo will flash 24bits during "Compression" = Peaks...

I have got an MDAC loaner coming in a week or so. What would be the best way to hook it up to the CDQ?

My intention is, if I buy an MDAC, to sell it if/when the CROSS output stage becomes available for the CDQ.

Any way of getting track name/album/track no or other info from the host when on USB?

There's no support under O/S for this feature - if possible it would require a Media Player Plug-in + Driver at the very least. The USB HID channel could be used to transport the Data - but its not "Native" to the USB standard.

Yes, there's a matching slot loader with Memory Buffer (for readability) + 192KHz Async USB under our own brand (like the M-PAX) to be launched around April / June.
(

Hi John. Could you stick me down for one of those too please? Silver.

Building on the sam cat's wish list:
- Discrete IR commands for input selection (and possibly Filter selection and MuteOn/MuteOff to approximate PowerOn/Off commands).
- Dimmable display (and auto feature to adapt to ambient light)
- (Maybe) Option to retain different volume levels by input (This may not be needed until the M-PAX is introduced), while retraining some distinction between headset and speakers (multiplicative logic?)
- (maybe)Volume limiter - to avoid silly levels on headsets, at startup, etc. especially with kids around
- (maybe)Phase switch... ok scratching the surface here
- Support for 172.4kHz sampling rate (which doesn't seem to be included at the moment... I must say I haven't tested 88.2kHz as I don't have a sample track)

These are just ideas in order of desirability (for me)

176.4KHz and 88.2kHz are supported via COAX SPDIF (If your Lucky 176.4kHz will work over Optical if you have a decent source)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back