advertisement

MDAC first listen (part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have got an MDAC loaner coming in a week or so. What would be the best way to hook it up to the CDQ?

My intention is, if I buy an MDAC, to sell it if/when the CROSS output stage becomes available for the CDQ.

Optimal Transient types = NOS

Optimal Spectrum = Full digital attenuation by FS/2

Hi John

Could you please look at the 'M-DAC Filters......' thread, post #10.

On reflection, maybe I shouldn't have started a separate thread.

Mods, please can you merge if possible.

I have got an MDAC loaner coming in a week or so. What would be the best way to hook it up to the CDQ?

My intention is, if I buy an MDAC, to sell it if/when the CROSS output stage becomes available for the CDQ.

Good Question, try both Optical and Coax and lets use know :) I'd go for Optical but I'd be really interested in your results!

Is the MDAC fussy regarding coax connections?

I am leaning toward the optical connection while I have got the demo unit as I don't want to be sitting on an expensive i/c that I subsequently may not need.

Avole, the question has been asked before, by you. The answer was no.

The test is whether the OP was trade or not. As the OP wasn't trade.....

Is the MDAC fussy regarding coax connections?

I am leaning toward the optical connection while I have got the demo unit as I don't want to be sitting on an expensive i/c that I subsequently may not need.

I'm not sure what you mean by "fussy" I'd say the Optical would be more fussy, that's why we have limited them to 96kHz - although we test them to 192kHz on the production line.

MDAC should reject the random Jitter introduced by the Optical link... while achieving RF isolation.

Tell me, kind people, do you think it fair that one manufacturer and one private design company can take orders on the open and independent pat of a forum where other manufacturers cannot?

Also, have you ever wondered why these transactions cannot be completed by emails to retail outlets, which is the norm for the rest of the world? People complain about the AVI connection, and item audio, but perhaps, on reflection, they're more honest than this.

Hi John. Happy New Year and all the best for your new venture.
A wee while ago you were talking about the poor quality of a lot of modern recordings, but saying that some excellent recordings were amongst your favourites. Could you let us in on some of the ones you rate highly?
Thanks, Duncan

Tell me, kind people, do you think it fair that one manufacturer and one private design company can take orders on the open and independent pat of a forum where other manufacturers cannot?

Also, have you ever wondered why these transactions cannot be completed by emails to retail outlets, which is the norm for the rest of the world? People complain about the AVI connection, and item audio, but perhaps, on reflection, they're more honest than this.

No doubt you shall be the PFM/other manufacturers saviour/super hero!!

Chest puffed out? Moustaches twirled? Underpants on inside out? Indignation chip fully charged? Righteousness hat at a rakish angle?

Give it a rest eh Mr. Happy? :rolleyes:

Hi John. Happy New Year and all the best for your new venture.
A wee while ago you were talking about the poor quality of a lot of modern recordings, but saying that some excellent recordings were amongst your favourites. Could you let us in on some of the ones you rate highly?
Thanks, Duncan

Hi Duncan,

Happy new year :) and best wish

Well, over the years I've collection of CD's (now wavefiles) that we use for testing. Its amazing when you hear something you never heard before on recordings you have used for years...

Recently I was introduced to the "Wailin' Jennys"

"40 Days" is an excellent CD to listen to the Digital filters, excellent recording and Fine details. Three intertwined Female vocals with very fine detail of the Stringed instruments - it really show the differences in the Digital filters.

Also "FireCracker" also by the Wailin' Jennys, the first two tracks are some the best CD recordings I've ever heard - sadly they must have been "Left over" recordings from a different recording session, as the rest of the Disc appears to have been recorded in a different Studio as the SQ is much much worst (Crappy commercial quality).

I have a vary varied music collection.... there's a demo CD released by Dali (as in the speaker manufacturer) that has some great tracks...

Even "Modern Dance Music" such as Fat Boy Slim make great test tracks as you have very complex recordings with Very high Bass Energy yet mixed with HF transient events (Clicks between Sample Loops) that show up Digital filters very well.... calling it "Music" might be a contentious term for some however... I find replaying "distortion, crackles and clicks" harder then most instruments...

I would really recommend the "Wailin' Jennys" 40 days or even "FireCracker" for its first two tracks... but it depends on your musical tastes...

as john is now here, can i ask how exactly a MPAX will accommodate analogue inputs - will there be a kind of an ADC so MPAX is connected both via umbilical power cord & digital cable or something else. not that i'm trying to make any reverse engineering here, just curious as i can't seem to understand how's this possible, unless some of the leads on umbilical will carry an audio signal....?

another tech question - what is the output impedance of MDAC and will it be the same via MPAX analogue inputs?

as john is now here, can i ask how exactly a MPAX will accommodate analogue inputs - will there be a kind of an ADC so MPAX is connected both via umbilical power cord & digital cable or something else. not that i'm trying to make any reverse engineering here, just curious as i can't seem to understand how's this possible, unless some of the leads on umbilical will carry an audio signal....?

The MDAC XLR's are connected to a set of inputs on the M-PAX, relay switched between the AV inputs with selectable 10dB attenuators and rebuffering if desired...

I've no problem with someone trying to reverse engineer, our selling price is cheaper then you could build a unit using RS components or Farnell prices!!! trying to manufacturer in Europe these days is almost impossible - I really feel sorry for those who still try...

another tech question - what is the output impedance of MDAC and will it be the same via MPAX analogue inputs?

MDAC has a less then 1 Ohm output impedance across the audio band, hopefully the relay Switched signal path in the M-PAX will keep it close to this value (rebuffering mode will reduce back to less then 1 ohm).

oh, silly me - the only way logical, from MDAC to MPAX.... i was misguided with the direction of power from MPAX to MDAC....:)
thanks!

oh, silly me - the only way logical, from MDAC to MPAX.... i was misguided with the direction of power from MPAX to MDAC....:)
thanks!

Np :) its thinking of it as a simple "PSU" that throws people off - that's why I've changed the name from M-PSU to M-PAX (Power & Analogue eXtender)...

Sorry 29mile,

Lost in the earlier thread split...

29mile said:
John
Is it possible to just fit the new PCB PSU in the MDAC and use your own power supply ?

We can sell you the updated PCB that’s fitted within the M-DAC but you will have to be responsible for the M-DAC warrantee… Normally we would take on reasonability for the M-DAC’s warrantee when the owner opens there MDAC to fit the new PSU PCB…

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back