advertisement

Your Record Player History

1976 - a Sony music centre. It had a ceramic cartridge
1978 - a budget Micro Seiki that was all the rage at the time. Sounded good; anyone know what it might have been ? It got nicked in the early 80s
1981 - Technics SL-10. I nearly bought a Thorens, but because I was moving about a lot (and it looked cool !) I bought the Technics; daft ! It was cool, but never really liked the sound. Tried a AT MM cartridge instead of the stock MC. Apparently I'm deaf, as it was a really good deck. Bettered by a Philips CD100.
~2000 Rega Planar 3 / RB300 / K9 - at last a proper deck ! Put a Goldring 1042 on it before ...
2012 ... buying a second hand Gyro Deck (RB300 / Goldring 1042). It sounds good, but I mostly use a Primare BD32.

Pioneer PL12
Logic DM101 - Linn Basik LVV
Logic DM101 - Linn Ittok
Logic DM101 - Logic Datum
Logic DM101 - OL modded RB250
Logic DM101 - OL modded RB250 - Naim Armageddon
Michell Orbe OL modded RB250
Michell Orbe SME V

Awful Philips thing, from my old pappy
Thorens TD160
Linn LP12 Valhalla Ittok
Linn LP12 Lingo 2 Ittok
Amazon Model 2 Moerch UP4
Michell Orbe Moerch UP4

Think I will stop with the Orbe. Might go for an SME V at some point, but can't imagine ever owning another turntable.

I've been interested in an Amazon for some time. I like the no nonsense look and German engineering. How did you find it?

Like OP said, it's a hobby, so my choices may not show rhyme or reason, and sometimes you just luck into a nice one at the local thrift or craigslist:

Technics SL -xxx; linear tracker
Thorens TD280 II
AR ES-1 (with RB300, ADC LMF-2)
Linn LP-12 (with Ittok)
Micro-Seiki (80s, can't remember model)
Kenwood KD500 (with Infinity Black Widow)
Garrard Lab 80
Rega Planar 2
Well Tempered Record Player
Dual 1019 (went retro for loft space, pretty surprising performance, however)
Michell Gyro (RB300)
Thorens TD125 (SME 3009)
Luxman PD272 (?)

Only have two at the moment: AR ES-1/LMF-2 and the Dual.

I've been interested in an Amazon for some time. I like the no nonsense look and German engineering. How did you find it?

It was fantastic and I ended up sticking with it for about twelve years. The Amazon was exactly what I was looking for after the LP12 - less "character" and yet far more involving, for me at least.

Garrard SP25 Mk.4 in 1972

Linn LP12 in about 1981 with the curly Basik
Nirvana & Valhalla in about 1983
Zeta arm with AT F5 mid 80's
AT OC5 late 80's
Lingo 1 & Trampolin 1 in 2014

I'll play.
Garrard SL75 bought saved up for during my first job as an engineering apprentice in 1968. Ceramic cartridge wired mono into the microphone input of my valve reel-to-reel recorder (I was already keen on making my own recordings)
Connoiseur BD-1 Audio Technica AT1005
Connoiseur BD-1 SME 3009 Improved
Technics SP10 SME 3009 Improved bought from the scrap man at Garrard R&D where I was working by then.
Linn LP12/Valhalla/Ittok
Roksan Xerxes Rega RB300 *
Goldmund Reference T3f arm * when CD took over and a few people were passing on high quality TTs I looked for a used Goldmund Reference or Rockport Sirius which I considered the 2 best, and the Goldmund came up first, so I bought it.
these are the decks I have used day to day since 1968.

I also have had some others, either for interest's sake or occasional use.
Technics SP15
Thorens TD125 Mission 774
EMT 938 *
B&O 8002 *

* the ones I still own.

the thing in my ITT ST-20 music centre

Dual CS-5000 with Ortofon OM20, then Denon DL301

Linn Axis II/Akito with DL301, then AT OC9

Michell GyroDec MkII/RB-300 with AT OC9, then Ortofon MC25FL, then SME IV and Scheu MC

that old Gyro was then slowly converted with new parts and an Orbe platter. Finally it was almost totally new, so I replaced the final parts, creating

Michell GyroDec MkV/SME IV with Scheu MC, then Shelter 501, then Allaerts MC1B

this one was sold, replaced with

Michell Orbe/SME IV with Allaerts MC1B or Lyra Delos

while the parts of the old Gyro were mixed up with some new Pedersen parts and my own drive system, creating

Michell-Werner Gyro SE/RB300 with Lyra Dorian

Along the lines I also picked up a NOS Technics SL-1200 MkII.

OK, quite a few...

Rotel RP-500 - shite
Rega Planar 3 / Supex SM100E massive upgrade
Linn LP12 / Rega RB300 / Supex SM100E better speed stability, but not massively better
Linn LP12 / Ittok LVII / Asaka - much better than the previous one.
Townshend Rock Reference Mk1 / Excalibre / AT OC7, then OC9, then Dynavector 17D2 - one of my best TT's, but I got fed up with the faff
Linn LP12 / Ekos / Karma / Lingo- a step back, quickly sold
Michell Orbe / RB900 / Dynavector 17D2 - fantastic thing, but the bass wasn't right.
Pink Triangle PT1 / Helius Orion / Goldring 1042 - the first of many PTs, still have it
Oxford Crystal Reference / SME V / Koetsu Rosewood - fab thing, still have it
Pink Triangle Anniversary / SME IV / Lyra Helicon - wow what a nice TT, still have it
Oracle Alexandra / Nagoka MP11 it needed a better cart
Transrotor Fat Bob S / Koetsu Rosewood, bloody fantastic and still have it
Technics SP10 Mk2 big f..k off plinth, SME 312S, Supex SD900 - really nice pimped SP10, still have it
many PTs (Tarentella, PT2, another PT1) also many, many other TTs along the way like Ariston RD11S, Logic DM-101's, Garrard 401 (not for me, nope), etc...

1982 Dual CS-505-1
1984 Rega Planar 3 (asked for the Rega but Hamish insisted on playing the LP12 at SO London; awesome but couldn't afford it!).
1991 Linn LP12 (bought from Hamish at SO York).

Several upgrades by Phonography in the last 4 years, but like Trigger's Broom still an LP12.

Simples.

Ariston RD40, ADC ALt1
Manticore Mantra , Linn basik
Lencoblerone (Transfi modded belt drive Lenco)
L78, ply plinth RB300
Garrard 401, x2
Garrard 301 grey grease
Thorens 135

Arms Tabriz x2, Helious Scorpio 3, Audiomods V

+ Lenco L59, 78, 75's

All the belt drives are gone (including slight regret about the 135) Idlers rule, OK?

JVC (unknown model)
Rega Planar 3/RB300/Nagaoka MP10
Roksan Xerxes/RB300/Nagaoka MP10
Roksan Xerxes/Artemiz/Shiraz
TMS/Artemiz2/Shiraz (Vertere PSU)

mat

It was fantastic and I ended up sticking with it for about twelve years. The Amazon was exactly what I was looking for after the LP12 - less "character" and yet far more involving, for me at least.

Thanks for that - sounds interesting. I may well investigate, next time I am in hifi aquisition mode.

cheers

Chaz

Great thread to reminisce! From what I can recall my vinyl journey was...
Cheap Trio music centre craap...
Dual CS505
Revolver / LVX
LP12 / LVX
LP12 / Ittok
LP12 / PinkLinnk / Ittok
LP12 / Sole / Pinklinnk / Ittok
LP12 / Sole / Geddon / Nima
GL75
401 / SME 3009 non-improved
Slate plinth 401 / Nima
Slate plinth 401 / Artemiz
And the last one tops em all!

Mark

Dansette, then
Rega planar 2
Rega planar 3
Spacedeck with rb600 arm and sumiko blue point cart, then lyra helicon.
Now Notts analogue Dais with a reed 3p arm and lyra kleos.

advertisement

Back