advertisement

Your Record Player History

paskinn

pfm Member
Rather more beautiful and enduring than Cd players. So, here we go. As far as I can remember them all.
Dansette (about 1960)
Thorens 150
Thorens 125
Pioneer 12D
Ariston RD 11
Garrard 401
Garrard 301
Pink Triangle PT 11
Pink Triangle Anniversary
Oxford Crystal
Oracle Delphi
Pink Triangle Anniversary (again)
SME Model 30
SPJ La Luce
SPJ Alba
SME Model 30 (again)
Michell Hydraulic Reference (still own)
SME 30-12 (still own)
Favourite? Probably the PT Anniversary. Least successful? Perhaps the Garrards. But most decks are nice.

I can't imagine those are in order of possession, Peter. I don't understand the decisions to repeat decks as I've always wanted something different. I've had a few of those, including the Dansette in the very early sixties.

Linn Axis / Akito / DV 10x III
Technics SL1210 / Stock arm / Reson Reca

Err... That's it.

Ran the Linn for over 20 years; it's in the loft now and I use the Technics.

Not that many.

1. Akai - model unknown. Plasticky and cheap. Mid 80's.

2. Rega Planar 2/Bias. First real turntable I bought. Gave me great joy through the late 80's.

3 & 4. Pro-ject 6.1 & Rega Planar 3/Elys. Early to mid 90's. First turntable with suspension (the Pro-ject). The beginning of an end. Had trouble with both players - probably due to lack of proper placement/isolation of the decks. The lure of the first CDP... (which was eventually to be a Teac CD-Z500).

Sold the record collection - luckily no more than 100 LP's strong. Then took a 10 years hiatus from the vinyl game until 2005.

5. Thorens TD150Mk2. First with the "kugelarm" and later with SME 3009 Improved. Lovely little deck. A bit fiddly but this was also the charm.

6. Lenco L75. In big heavy CLD plinth (ply and MDF). Thanks to the long Home Depot thread on A'gon. With SME 3009, RB250 and then Audio Technica AT-1005 II (beautiful vintage arm). Huge sound with immense dynamics - not bettered since. But was too unrelenting verging on fatiguing. Could probably have been remedied with experimentation but was not to be.

Lenco-SME.jpg

7. Garrard 401. Birchply plinth and Michell TecnoArm. Best looking Turntable I've owned. Fun muscular sound with a bit of emphasis on the lower end (not quite as neutral and extended as the Lenco). Should probably have stuck with it and tried with a better plinth.

SANY0050-1.jpg

8. Rega P7. Had this longer than any of the previous. Nicely balanced and did nothing wrong but perhaps not the most exciting of record players when push comes to shove? That strobe platter though..

9. Technics SL-1000MkII. Current. Big and heavy. EPA-100 arm really is a lovely bit of engineering too. Perhaps not as "musical" as the Garrard but tight and focused. Don't see this going anywhere unless I win the lottery (that would be one of the big SME's). Managed to find 2 original headshells on ePay.

DSC00025_zps65985c60.jpg

Edit: Cartridges through the years.

Rega Bias (green).
Rega Elys (grey).
Tekni-Fi K1.
Goldring G800/G820.
Audio Technica AT95E.
Ortofon VMS30MkII.*
Ortofon MC20 Super.
Denon DL-103 (later in ebony wood body).
Rega Exact.
Ortofon SPU Royal N.
Jico SAS MM-1.*
Technics EPC-U205CMK3 (Jico SAS stylus).*
Denon DL-304.*
Denon DL-103R (in Midas metal body).*
Ortofon MC Jubilee (now with ESC Paratrace re-tip). Currently using.*

*Still have.

Only regret is selling the SPU Royal N but didn't have a proper arm for it at the time (and probably haven't had so far anyway - maybe the AT-1005 II?).

Oh, forgot to mention the Panasonic music centre and Goodmans "midi" system. These were in my youth and early teens respectively.

Why not? It's a hobby, you are not required to be 'rational'. That's why it is a hobby.

At last someone has hit the nail on the head! That is a very sensible answer and something that people should bear in mind when they think of engaging in some of these circular arguments!

Thanks for that paskinn.

Currently, I have 5 record players (not sensible):

LP12/Norton/Pre-fix/Aro/XX2MkII
LP12/Hercules/AO modified 250/DV20XL
Michell Hydraulic reference/Modified GH228/Troika
Lenco 88/Audiomods/metal bodied 103
Stanton ST.150

In the past I've also owned:

Dansette
Trio KD-1033
AR XB
STD 305D

Sony (70's something)
Linn LP12
Townshend Rock II
Brinkmann La Grange (1 arm)
Brinkmann La Grange (2 arm)
Grand Prix Monaco (direct drive)
I've enjoyed them all, the Monaco has a more "immediate" sound, whether that's because of direct drive , I don't know.

Paskinn,
I saw the list and though 'good grief!' But as you say, it's a hobby so what the hell.
My list is somewhat smaller:

Rega Planar 2
Linn LP12

Though the LP12 has been upgraded a few times. It started off with the Rega arm from my Planar 2, then had a Mission 774. I then had it Valhalla'd and a new bearing fitted (don't know why, but it seemed to be a good idea at the time).
Then an Ittok LVIII.
Finally, I had a secondhand Lingo Mk 1 fitted a couple of years ago.

Pioneer pl12??
Rega planar 3. Rb250? Linn k5, k9,
Lp12. Valhalla Akito. Atoc5, atoc9 herculese II, Nima dv20

That's nearly 30 years!

My small list of Hi-Fi turntables once I moved from my music centres as a boy

Dual CS 505-2
Rega Planer 3 with S bend arm
Michell Gyro, RB300, QC which I've had for 20 years. Just added Orbe platter kit to it.

Why not? It's a hobby, you are not required to be 'rational'. That's why it is a hobby.

I am sorry I felt really inadequate as I have only owned 2 and you have soooo many

Rega Planar 3

LP 12

does that mean I don't have a hobby and just enjoy music?

Goldring Lenco GL75
Leak 2001
Ariston RD80
Roksan Xerxes
Linn LP12
Rega P9
Linn LP12 (several)
Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck
Garrard 301

Several more have passed through my second system too: Revolver Rebel, Rega Planar 3, Lenco L70 (x2), Thorens TD-124(Mk I & II), Technics SL-120.

Current stock-take: Garrard 301, Thorens TD-124/II, Lenco L70 x 2, Technics SL-120. I've got too many and want to thin them out a bit now so the Lencos and TD-124 are up for grabs if I can figure out how not to loose too much cash on the latter.

Chaps

I bought my Garrard 401 sometime in the very early eighties and paid the princely sum of £40.00 for it.

Since then, Loricraft have overhauled and maintained it.

Mick

I agree, a chap needs a hobby and the more eccentric the better. I have a lot of respect for extreme hobbyists.

I loved the sound of my PT but it ran a semitone fast which was unforgivable.

advertisement

Back