• Planet/P1/RP1

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
I've changed my mind about this duckling
Its a sculptural looking beauty

s-l960.jpg

I've changed my mind about this duckling
Its a sculptural looking beauty.

I've always hated those decks, the ones with the daft picture frame around them. Apart from the fact that it's stylistically weird, those frames cost money to add yet do not improve the sound whatsoever. Totally superfluous. Just bad design.

The plinth on a Linn by contrast is structural so justifies its place.

I've always hated those decks, the ones with the daft picture frame around them. Apart from the fact that it's stylistically weird, those frames cost money to add yet do not improve the sound whatsoever. Totally superfluous. Just bad design.

Why are you writing so much about this Rega thread if you hate them?

And then there are the various Record Store Day specials which were hybrids. RP1/P1's with some elements of P2 or P3?

And I don't recall anyone mentioning the RP40 (which came 15 years after the P25!), which was basically an RP3 with some go-faster stripes & bits & bobs.

There have been so many variations of turntables with the same or similar names it's almost impossible to identify them that way.
The ones with MDF platters were not Planar 2s but P2s, there are two variations, one from around 2000, and another from around 2004 iirc, I had the latter and it was cracking VFM.

You’re welcome to come and listen to mine, I’m fairly sure you wouldn’t be disappointed!

AIUI, as with P9/P25, these frames allow the plinth to be both lighter and stiffer, whilst at the same time contributing very little resonance due to being minimally connected at or near resonance nulls (i.e. the corners).

Also, like the even more stylistically unusual frame round your RP10, they keep the dust cover from crashing down onto the tonearm.

AIUI, as with P9/P25, these frames allow the plinth to be both lighter and stiffer, whilst at the same time contributing very little resonance due to being minimally connected at or near resonance nulls (i.e. the corners).

Also, like the even more stylistically unusual frame round your RP10, they keep the dust cover from crashing down onto the tonearm.
Yes, whatever they’re doing, it’s a significant leap over any P3 variant I’ve heard. I’m sure much of it is to do with the lovely RB700, but it is quieter too.

Is the P7 'surround' not Plastic or Metal rather than Wood on the P25/P9?

I thought I read that somewhere....

The only downside of the P9 I can think of is the full-size power supply, at least compared to the newer Neo model for the other decks.

..these frames allow the plinth to be both lighter and stiffer, whilst at the same time contributing very little resonance due to being minimally connected at or near resonance nulls..

I stand, or sit, corrected. Although I still hate the way they look.

AIUI, as with P9/P25, these frames allow the plinth to be both lighter and stiffer, whilst at the same time contributing very little resonance due to being minimally connected at or near resonance nulls (i.e. the corners)

In the quest for lightness the P9 plinth comprises a skeletal core wrapped in phenolic with the surround having (hidden) CNC machined slots.

Voted Planar 10 here, I have one.

First Rega was a late 90’s era Planar 2 which made playing records a lot of fun.
Did the common thing and fell away from vinyl when I fell for “Perfect sound forever” CD and sold up.

Back into vinyl mid 2000’s, well fettled Gyro with (eventually) all the Orbe bits and SME V/ Dynavector XX2 MC cart.
arr2Vfo.jpg

Threw a lot of Wonga into that deck, the dream Michell setup, but ended up eventually not finding playing records “fun”, which is kinda the point.

Nice ornament with a lot of value in it, so sold the lot and auditioned the new Planar 8 and !0.
Bought a 10 with Apheta 3 cart.
vbnrjea.jpg

UohCcsU.jpg

Much better than the Michell deck, though quite different from what you would consider the “classic” vinyl sound?
Think more R2R mastertape than warm fuzzy nostalgia.
Nice tweaks with the IsoAcoustics feet and Collaro mat as well.

Country mile more fun and musical than the Michell, just fit n forget...no fussing over spring bounce and the like.

I totally agree with you. If I had one of those decks I'd immediately remove that weird frame. That decorative moulding contrasts against the beautiful minimalist Rega style.
I don't even like the skeletal aspect of the last series. For me P8 and P10 are more beautiful with the whole plinth instead of skeletal. The nicer model of the last serie is the P6.
The planar has to be planar not skeletal!

Last edited:
The P2/2000 had a silver painted MDF platter, there was another version that came slightly later with a larger chamfered black painted MDF platter.
Keen Rega fans may recall that, at the end of 2005, P2 (2000) was unceremoniously dropped from the line, making P3 the entry model (discounting Planar 78) until the introduction of P1 in October 2006, followed by 'The New Rega P2' with 'brand new stablised 22mm platter design to give greater speed stability' in December of that year.

advertisement

Back